A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 322
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Altered Journal-a-long-CLOSED--see last page for NEW THREAD  (Read 305296 times)
Tags for this thread: altered , journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gemcraft
« Reply #910 on: August 11, 2008 12:25:47 PM »

All this talk of camping is making me sad )O: My parents have a  caravan at the most amazing camp site in Wales and I LOVE it, (its the background on my secret place page) but I dont get to go very much anymore. My husband and I went once earlier this year and were going next week but now we cant cos he doesnt want to drive there just for a week )O:

And no I dont think we do have a theme yet but Im not in a mood to decide one! I've been really lax at journalling recently as well )O: I had my last counselling session today and one of my things to help keep things together now is to journal at least once a week so Id better get doing it!

Phizzy - I never knew you were such a philosopher!

Graverobbergirl - I love the Marge page and the ideas behind it.

Phizzy - your page is beautiful althought I can help thinking you are just avoiding showing your picture!! I keep seeing snails in your page even thought there is none there - anyone else see the snails?

Panthermoon - ooh a monthly visual journalling group - sounds amazing!! What sort of stuff do you do?

Smuckers - great page - I love the Rumplestiltskin writing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
panthermoon
« Reply #911 on: August 11, 2008 02:47:58 PM »

Actually our journaling group is kind of like what we do here. Only once a month and with about 10-20 people in a small room.  Smiley There is a group leader, but anybody can suggest a theme or project. Sometimes we know ahead of time if we need to bring something specific, but usually we find out at group what the theme is. Last month we picked out fortunes from a bag and then wrote whatever came to mind about it. We usually have about 1/2 an hour to work on the page and then whoever wants to can read what they wrote(they don't have to if it's too personal).

Most of the time the pages don't get finished, so then next we talk about them if we finished them from the month before or whatever else we may have worked on during the month. We pass our books around if we want to & we talk about techniques we've tried. Tonight we're working on image transfers because several people in the group have trouble with them. Me included.  Wink Sometimes people will bring supplies they want to get rid of and anyone who wants them can take them. I only started going earlier this year, but it's interesting.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 02:48:51 PM by panthermoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in trading? ATC Gallery

Wists

100 Theme 12/100
Happy 100 ATC 6/100
100 Music Theme 4/100
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #912 on: August 11, 2008 03:01:07 PM »

Phizzy - your page is beautiful althought I can help thinking you are just avoiding showing your picture!! I keep seeing snails in your page even thought there is none there - anyone else see the snails?

Thanks! Ha, I see them now you've mentioned it, they've slimed their way in! Cheesy Maybe you're right about the photo Tongue

Sorry to hear you're not going away now Undecided Anything else planned?

I have fond memories of my Dad driving us to Tenby (from the NW) every year towing a caravan. We always set off about 1am so we didn't clog the roads up with our slow-mobile. Of course my sister and I knew nothing of the trip because we'd been asleep on our duvet in the back the whole time! Cheesy He did that for trips to the Blackpool illuminations too, waking us up to see them then we were back to sleep again! I have rarely seen them when I wasn't in pj's and slippers! Cheesy

Your journalling group sounds pretty great panthermoon!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 03:02:02 PM by Phizzychick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
« Reply #913 on: August 11, 2008 03:02:41 PM »

This is a kindof personal post again but hey never mind, I will try and make a funy and meaningless page soon!
It kindof shows how things work their way into your journalling and I thought is was interesting after what we have been saying about emotions etc  - this page started off as playing around with the face template, and ended up like this.

Panthermoon - the group sounds amazing, I wish there was one here.

Phizzy - probably staying here or going to my parents. Nice to have another break thought and its out second wedding anniversary tuesday (not tomorrow) which is why my sweet husband booked the week off
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #914 on: August 11, 2008 03:10:37 PM »

I really like the way the heads stand out from the page...yet also blend in. Are the newspaper clippings meaningful? I can't read the teeny writing. My poor vision again Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
« Reply #915 on: August 11, 2008 03:21:27 PM »

The newspaper clippings are random, it started out as a newspaper head on one side and a newspaper outline on the other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #916 on: August 11, 2008 03:27:17 PM »

Oh I see, one is cut out and the other is laid on top! Clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #917 on: August 11, 2008 06:54:06 PM »

I have some pages to share, but I'm thinking the post will be very long, and I still have to wait for them to upload. And I have missed out on a lot of interesting stuff, so first...

weeping_cloud-I just basically said to heck with it and ran the tracing paper through the printer (just a standard tracing paper from a pad of it). Actually it did get a little gobbed up a couple of times, which you can see in the dark horizontal lines across Guinevere and there is a white spot on the Lancelot image because it crumpled and the ink missed it). I liked the effect though, so I kept it. You could probably just tape the tracing paper to a regular sheet of printer paper to stabilize it when you send it through. That's what I normally do with thin or strange pieces I want to print on.

PhizzyChick-I love your personal page. Your style is so organic and yet has lovely geometric elements. And your shading/tonality is always so gorgeous. I used to love to paint (in oils) that way...kind of makes me want to paint again.

Smuckers9-Rumplestiltskin was always one of my favourites. Maybe it was the gore in some variations where he rips himself in half. I like your pages. They remind me of some nice, quirky illustrations you might find in a children's book. Your Rumplestiltskin is cute with the stripes.

Gemcraft-I like your face template. Did you make it yourself (just curious because I suck at profiles). The extra flowers really draw it out onto the page, as well as the newspaper background/overlay. I have a thing for balance, so this really pleases my eye. I also enjoyed the sentiment of your saying.

As for themes, I don't think I have any input. I am horrible at making decisions. Plus, I can just be lazy and pick from whatever terrific ideas you all suggest Smiley
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 09:34:34 PM by graverobbergirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
graverobbergirl
« Reply #918 on: August 11, 2008 08:19:59 PM »

First off, I am apologizing ahead for length.

So I finally finished this series of pages I started, well, they were among the first. (I posted a taste of what I had done awhile back, if anyone remembers).

Anyway, this was a story/poem that I wrote quite a while ago. Since this is already going to be a really long post, let's just say I've had a bizarre fascination with gnomes, stemming primarily from watching an episode of Psi-Factor (think X-Files, only Canadian-made) when I was a kid, and compounded by an incident involving the reappearance of car keys (The dissappearance was not a strange happening for me). Although I have garden gnomes to ward off the bad ones, in the case of this tale, they hatch from them like eggs.

I'm not sure what I want to do for the left side of this spread...

All is my original artwork except for the garden gnome...which I clipped from somewhere...can't remember now.

The cryptic writing was because I didn't think my handwriting would be that attractive, and type just wasn't doing it for me. I think it adds to the creepiness. I'm thinking about how to put the original/english version into my journal nearby.

The page on the left is my favourite. I love the effect of the runes over the reddish background.

Here's the poem/story (more or less as it appears in cryptic text in my journal):

They came forth,
Bursting from cheery ceramic shells.
Fake frozen facimiles shattered into sharp sherds.
Their claws cruel crescents,
Their smiles as wicked
As their progenitors'
Were prosaic.

Sweet Suzy Swanson
Flew from the window,
Taking large oaken stairs hastily.
Her tiny feet ne'er touched the worn and warped
Wood.
Pigtails fluttered with pink ribbons
As the door swung open,
the ghoulish gusts greeting her
As they rushed
Within from
Without.

And with winds
Came the hushed howls of
A somber silent night
Fraught with eerie peril.

Evil things were afoot.

And now,
So was
Sweet Suzy Swanson.

The street was empty,
Abandoned as one would expect
When an orb waxed high in the sky,
With the unearthly orange glowing glower
Of the Man in the Moon.

The chagrin Cheshire grin challenged.

And,
Sweet Suzy Swanson
Submitted.

The pitter-patter of precious, petite feet
Echoed down the street
As
Sweet Suzy Swanson
Was swayed by curiosity
And
Surreptitiously
She crept as others slept
Inept
To the augmenting angry anguish
Flourishing amongst the flowerbeds.

Little lady with lovely locks
Tiptoed towards the garden gate
Slowly, sweetly, unafraid
She spied creatures neither cuddly
Nor craven.
And
Rather brazen,
She entered their haven.

Paused, posturing claws
And rich red round
Eyes
Spied
Sweet Suzy Swanson,
Full of frills and luscious lace
Precise and perfect pink ribbons
Skin scrubbed sparkling,
And her
Fluffy, furry friend
Clutched carefully close.

Sweet Suzy Swanson,
Bursting with
Inferred ingenuousness and innocence,
An easy thrill, an easy kill
For malicious monsters.

But

Heart was not rend,
Tissue not torn,
Life not ripped,
Soul not stripped.

Instead,
Sweet Suzy Swanson
Was
Spared.

And the depraved demons stared.
Not one dared
Demonstrate their devilish dexterity
With cruel, cutting crochet hooks.

For in
Sweet Suzy Swanson,
The nasty gnarled gnomes
Found a familiar face,
A kind of kindred spirit
That kindled comradery
Within their heinous hearts.

What poignant purpose would such a
Severe soul
As that which resided, resting within
Sweet Suzy Swanson
Serve?

When would the dormant
Dreadful deviant
Beast
Arise,
Fueled by furious, foaming
Bloodlust?

Better not to be the beast's bane.
Far better to fetter with friendship
such a voracious and vile viper.

Perhaps an invitation was in order
To the
Babe
Bolstered by the buried beast.

So

Merrily with marching monsters,
Down the dark and serenely silent street,
Hand in helpful, happy hand,
Skipped
Sweet Suzy Swanson.

What dogs would bark their baleful best tomorrow?
What cats yowling yesterday
Would yodel yet?

None that encountered
Sweet Suzy Swanson
The night the nasty, gnarled gnomes
Found a friendly face.

For indeed,
They found a fiendishly friendly face
In
Sweet. Suzy. Swanson.

Again, sorry for length. I felt like you needed the original poem to understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 11, 2008 08:35:34 PM »

graverobbergirl- I love those pages. So simple but at the same time very complex... Its hard to explain Cheesy hehe...Once i read the poem it did make alot more sense i really liked the poem as well.

Also I asked this in the Paper crafts- questions and discussions section but i'm not sure who really checks there often so i thought i would ask here too...I saw this really cool pack of paper it was HUGE online the other day and i meant to bookmark it or add it to my wist but i thought i can come back later...
Now for the life  me i cannot remember the name...
I think it had the word apple in the name...like the brand name...?
The contents of the package consisted of vintage text and images and things of that sort...
Oh if only i could of remembered to bookmark that wonderful package of paper!
Oh yes and i dont think it was on craftster either...

Embarrassed
grrr.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 322 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Great and Terrible Beauty Book Trailer
John Avant Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Sarah Vowell Talks About The Wordy Shipmates
Alan Goldsher Reveals His Previous Occupation
Meet Bishop Carlton D. Pearson
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...