A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 322
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Altered Journal-a-long-CLOSED--see last page for NEW THREAD  (Read 308005 times)
Tags for this thread: altered , journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RougeRaven
« Reply #870 on: August 07, 2008 03:03:44 PM »

I promise I haven't died, I'm just out of town so I haven't had a chance to work on my book or to post anything. For my myth page I'm working on the Lakota story of how the eagle saved mankind after the great flood, it's a favorite of mine  Smiley

bushbaby- I really like the butterfly/moth quote and the illustrations are very whimsical

phizzychick- Arthurian legend rocks! The illustrations look like they belong in one of those old classical fairy tale books

panthermoon- I love your stamps, what is your favorite place to get them from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #871 on: August 08, 2008 12:04:14 AM »

I promise I haven't died, I'm just out of town so I haven't had a chance to work on my book or to post anything. For my myth page I'm working on the Lakota story of how the eagle saved mankind after the great flood, it's a favorite of mine  Smiley

That sounds like a really interesting myth, I cant wait to see it. I dont know that one. Most of the myths I know are the anglo-saxon/celtic/norse/roman myths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #872 on: August 08, 2008 07:40:10 AM »

Guess what? My scanner is working again! Just in time for me to make a Friday post! Try not to get too excited. Wink

First up:

This page was a happy accident of sorts. There are quite a few pages throughout my book that I doodled on in white crayon and then forgot about. This is one of them. Cheesy

This is my secret space page. Can you find what so secretive about it?

Behind some of the circles lie some of the things that have been stressing me out the most lately. Time (or constantly feeling like I have none), Money (ugh), My future mother in law (that's not her.. that's a photo from a bridal magazine), and Wedding Planning, which would actually NOT be stressing me out if it wasn't for the last two items on the list. >_<

But there's a bright side to this page!

Behind different circles it houses some of the things that make me feel better and relaxed. Like star gazing, affection and cookies. Cheesy

Next up is my mythology page. I love greek mythology (along with celtic/anglo-saxon/norse/pagan) and I love the stars so I picked a myth dealing with the constellation I can always find the easiest, Orion.

I've heard many different variations of the story of Orion growing up, all involving Artemis (or the Roman's Diana) who is the goddess I loved reading about most as a child. This depiction shows Artemis the huntress with her sacred animal the stag, killing the scorpion that killed her companion.

I borrowed the idea of writting around the edges from phizzy. I wasn't sure how to finish the page and her idea was perfect! The words say:

Orion was the Son of Posiedon, God of the Seas and a mighty but humble hunter. He met Artemis, Goddess of the hunt. They hunted together and Artemis became fond of Orion. Her Brother, Apollo sent a giant scorpion to kill Orion, such was his jealousy. The scorpion stung and killed Orion and Artemis greiving, hung his likeness in the stars.

It's short and disjointed to make it fit around the page, but you can get the gist of the myth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #873 on: August 08, 2008 07:59:49 AM »

That sounds like a really interesting myth, I cant wait to see it. I dont know that one. Most of the myths I know are the anglo-saxon/celtic/norse/roman myths.

The short unpoetic version goes: The people of the villages started noticing the waters were rising, so they kept moving to higher ground until one day the rising waters turned rough and washed everything away. The only person who survived was a young girl who managed to cling to a rock on a mountain-side. She was so tired after clinging to the rock for her life for many days that she finally fell asleep. When she woke up, she climbed to the mountain top, exhausted and could not see a single human being for miles. She struggled to make a fire and to keep warm until a great large eagle visited her; he saw that she was alone and terrified. He told her he had flown all over the world and had not seen anyone of her kind. So he befriended her and he would gather wood for her fire and would catch game for her to cook. They grew closer as time passed until one day he offered to fly with her. She held up her arms and his talons wrapped around them and he flew with her high into the sky.

The girl was amazed at the sense of freedom she felt as the soared over everything on the earth though she was saddened by the sight of how much damaged the flood had caused. After they landed she felt even more grateful for the eagle's generousity. The eagle told her he would not come to visit her for a while but that he would return. For many days the eagle flew thinking about the lonely girl but the gifts Tunkasila had given him- the ability to see far, to fly... So the eagle visited Tunkasila and sad to him, "Grandfather, I have seen this young woman and the damage the waters have caused, she is alone without any of her kind." Tunkasila replied, "You have a decision to make, you can give up your powers to end her suffering or you can choose to keep your ability to fly over all living things and to see for miles."

Meanwhile, the girl was frightened and worried that her friend the eagle would not return. She watched other birds fly overhead but saw no sign of her companion. She did not go hungry or cold because the eagle had brought her much firewood and food before he left. One day, as she tended the fire she heard a twig snap behind her. When she turned around there stood a tall man. Shocked, the girl back away quickly and she asked him, "Who are you? Where did you come from? I have not seen any of my kind for many days now." The young man replied, "Don't you recognize me? Remember the day we flew high above the mountains?" The girl looked at his eyes and saw the same warmth that had been in her friend the eagle's gaze. Eagle gave up his powers so that he could care for and protect the girl. This is why we honor the eagles today and why their feathers are sacred, they saved mankind.

Ok, maybe that wasn't so short but it is strange to write it and quite frankly I'm too lazy to type out all of the dialogue. But I promise it is craft related lol I'm doing a page on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #874 on: August 08, 2008 08:04:20 AM »

Danniquee- I love your drawing style and the colors you used for the myth page are perfect for the constellation theme. The words really do complete the spread 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: August 08, 2008 08:10:05 AM »

I love your Orion page DanniQuee, it's so beautifully drawn. Great swirls on your other page too, what a happy accident with the wax drawings!

Great myth weeping_cloud, I can't wait to see how you do your page!

I thought it was Thursday today till bloke came home and said it wasn't Cheesy Hopefully I'll have my page finished by the end of the day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

« Reply #876 on: August 08, 2008 10:04:42 AM »

Thank you weeping_cloud - thats such a beautiful myth. Isnt it interesting that wo/mankind has so many myths involving a flood threatening all of life?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #877 on: August 08, 2008 10:08:52 AM »

Holy Scraps!! that is sooooo good! I just love both your pages!  see now with the mythology journal page not only do we get to make something cool but learn something as well!! Yay!! I love the price of two for one!!!!  as for my page...sorry..I will be insanely late but I'm excited to do....hope you gals don't mind.. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: August 08, 2008 10:29:02 AM »

Not at all...since I'll be late posting too Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
« Reply #879 on: August 08, 2008 11:47:34 AM »

Danni - Great pages - I LOVE the big doodle on the first one, I think thats a great idea!

This is a page I started last week, kindof on the personal theme and kindof just playing around. It wasnt supposed to be finished but I might leave it like this! Or I might try some doodled flowers or butterflies in a black pen. Just in case you cant tell its me two years ago getting my degree! (O:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 322 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wash a Full Lace Wig
How to Create Fun New Hair Styles
How to Study Hairdressing with Saco
How to Color Your Hair
Hair Care Tips by Garnier
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...