A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 322
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Altered Journal-a-long-CLOSED--see last page for NEW THREAD  (Read 304286 times)
Tags for this thread: altered , journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #350 on: June 27, 2008 07:00:08 PM »

graverobbergirl, those are the most amazing pages!  ever!  I just love everything about them, I don't know where to begin!  The stitching details, the colors, the borders....  I want some art like that to hang on my walls!  And, is that a scan or a photo?  It's so clear and bright and the colors are so vibrant!  
When I see those adorable snails I have less venom in my heart for slugs Wink  Those SallyDickAndJane kids are my absolute favorite- I'm hoping to get something similar for my red pages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: June 27, 2008 07:14:57 PM »

fusible web! I love it! I've only been able to think of which glues not to use... *filed in memory bank*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
graverobbergirl
« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2008 07:54:45 PM »

graverobbergirl, those are the most amazing pages!  ever!  I just love everything about them, I don't know where to begin!  The stitching details, the colors, the borders....  I want some art like that to hang on my walls!  And, is that a scan or a photo?  It's so clear and bright and the colors are so vibrant!  
When I see those adorable snails I have less venom in my heart for slugs Wink  Those SallyDickAndJane kids are my absolute favorite- I'm hoping to get something similar for my red pages.

Thanks! Grin I finally figured out how to keep my scanner from washing out the pages (and everything else I scan) I tried using the "restore faded color" option meant for photos. [A little off topic: It actually works really well for old, washed out photos or ones that have turned pink]. I think I also turned up the saturation...

fusible web! I love it! I've only been able to think of which glues not to use... *filed in memory bank*

I discovered this when I was experimenting with one of my favourite crafts, making purses/wallets from old comics and magazines. I use interfacing to stabilize for stitching, but heat'n'bond/fusible web for adhering extra details to the paper/magazine sides. Stupidly enough, I just realized I could apply it to journaling when I was thinking about how difficult it would be to glue-stick/white glue so many pages together (bubbles, uneve coverage, edges not sticking together). Plus, it's really simple!

What do you guys think of Tacky glue? I just picked some up to try. (It is always so hard to find good adhesives!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: June 27, 2008 08:41:41 PM »

I discovered this when I was experimenting with one of my favourite crafts, making purses/wallets from old comics and magazines. I use interfacing to stabilize for stitching, but heat'n'bond/fusible web for adhering extra details to the paper/magazine sides. Stupidly enough, I just realized I could apply it to journaling when I was thinking about how difficult it would be to glue-stick/white glue so many pages together (bubbles, uneve coverage, edges not sticking together). Plus, it's really simple!

What do you guys think of Tacky glue? I just picked some up to try. (It is always so hard to find good adhesives!)
You mean tacky glue for gluing pages together? or in general? I don't think you'll get as flat as the fusible web did. Are those purses or wallets on this site? In general tacky glue is good stuff tho.

I think we should report these ppl to CPS...
http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Infant-Baby-Snail-Costume/dp/B000J31QIS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #354 on: June 27, 2008 08:53:59 PM »

I second that!

I meant tacky glue in general, such as for simple embellishments. Or something besides paper? Does it work well with bits of ribbon, fabric, etc...? (I think I'd stick with the heat'n'bond for entire pages.)

[I think some of my paper wallets, etc. are posted somewhere around here...]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: June 27, 2008 09:00:44 PM »

For fabric-fabric bond I like Fabritac. I glued some ribbon to jeans, lost track of how many times I washed the and the bond outlasted the jeans. slight odor
for glass-glass or glass-metal - E6000 is great. good for jewelry. Slight odor.
tacky glues work well for less intense bonds. Some things might need a bit of a... bezel of glue to hold in place. it's better than regular white glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #356 on: June 27, 2008 09:05:37 PM »

I haven't used Tacky Glue yet...
What about just gluing the outer edges of the pages together instead of covering page after page with adhesive? I think that's the technique they use for making book-safes. You can also punch holes and sew a block of pages together.

Also, it is nice to see some people on Craftster on a Friday night!  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008 09:06:48 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
panthermoon
« Reply #357 on: June 27, 2008 10:00:32 PM »

graverobbergirl  I never even thought about that rhyme... maybe because I was concentrating on the music part of it... very nice pages, I love all the stitching and the snails, the colors

I really don't like slugs either in real life... you see them squished around here a lot... originally I was going to have the girl dancing on top of the slug, but I kept feeling like that was mean...

I have Tacky glue, but I don't use it much... it seems to work well, when I do though...  I use mostly glue sticks &  glue dots at the moment

Thanks for all the nice comments on my page  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in trading? ATC Gallery

Wists

100 Theme 12/100
Happy 100 ATC 6/100
100 Music Theme 4/100
Gemcraft
« Reply #358 on: June 28, 2008 08:25:48 AM »

Panthermoon I love the colour of the background on your page.
Graverobbergirl I love your page, such a cool idea!

As for glues - I'm a big fan of Pritt Stick
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
Gemcraft
« Reply #359 on: June 28, 2008 10:25:07 AM »

From bored at the craft fair

To journal page at home

Not sure what I think of this one (Wish I hadnt overlapped the leaf stamps but the small ones were already there and then I liked the big one in that space instead, which is a real leaf btw) but I wanted to post it because its different! And I tried the blanking out where drawing technique too.

And in a fit of inspiration, a quiet house and an attempt to distract myself from bad thoughts I am working on my shimmy and music already (o:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 322 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jerry Falwell Book Trailer
Sometimes Moms Can Be So Embarrassing
Valerie Fitzgerald Talks About Heart and Sold
Meet Author Omar Tyree
Meet Author Paul Byrd
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...