A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,516
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 322
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Altered Journal-a-long-CLOSED--see last page for NEW THREAD  (Read 348850 times)
Tags for this thread: altered , journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2008 09:18:33 PM »

graverobbergirl - Amazing!!  Cool Cool Cool  Shocked  Roll Eyes

You are very creative and productive! I love your stuff. I'm glad for our sake that you were w/o power. Electricity that is. You have some internal power, tho. On the page w/ the dragons it seems you used rubber stamps for the endless knots. but the dragons... are those a print out? I'm glad you were able to work out some down mood. thanks so much for sharing.

I like "Dead Like Me".

I love this thread. After I get my current swap out the door I'm gonna work on a book too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
calluna
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

wandering...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2008 10:09:07 PM »

I love everything I've seen here, and I'm working on my own one now! The electricity was out on my block, too, but I couldn't get anything done because it was too dark already. I feel better about creating an "altered journal" for experimenting than using ATCs as my playground, because there's so much more space, and it can be a collected record of things I've tried and practiced. I'm using a huge and lousy novel as my base, which I'd been saving in hopes of inspiration for a craft project that would require an especially crappy book.  Cheesy So far I've drilled holes through it with a Dremel tool (for no particular reason), painted a base-coat on several pages, sealed some pages together with Mod-Podge (and I spilled it all over the carpet! I'm still trying to get it all out!), and removed several pages so it will close properly. I'll definitely post some pics when I finish some pages.

One thing I did in a journal long ago, which I recommend trying, is making a rainbow with food coloring toward the center of the book (where it's least likely to get wet). You just drop the colors on the paper, mixing colors as needed, and making the puddles about an inch or less apart. Then with a toothpick, drag the puddles in all directions and ever-so-slightly into the nearest puddle, just as the paper starts to absorb the moisture. You can either leave it to dry or close the book with it still wet and let the color bleed throughout. Either way, the color WILL bleed onto several pages underneath the page on which you applied the food coloring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2008 02:12:18 AM »

Wonderful pages graverobbergirl! I love the biohazard newspaper word page and
(as a Discworld nut & lover of all things dragon) your dragon page!

That technique sounds interesting calluna! If you get round to trying it in your journal I'd love to see it, or any of your other pages...drilled or not Cheesy It's never too late for a rainbow if you feel like creating one! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2008 07:24:22 AM »

Wow, you've been productive graverobbergirl! Your pages look great. I like your use of random neat text, but being a biased dragon lover and Terry Pratchett fan I think I like your Discworld page best. Also, Dead Like Me is one of my favourite shows. So I <3 your icon. Wink

calluna - Drilling holes in your book sounds like a neat technique. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Smiley

Here is my newest page.

Here is a link so you can look at it larger (the transfer looks less milky in real life, and larger.) Click me!

I had a random thought about how people used to warn their children away from toadstools, fairie rings, and being near the woods around the new and full moons, and how no one does this anymore. When my grandmother was growing up she used to hear stories about bogies and fairies and elves. I would have loved this. To me it feels like a lot of the world's magic has been lost. There don't seem to be anymore myths or mysteries or fantastical creatures. I can't remember the last time I heard a child (or anyone for that matter) say a word about Bigfoot or Nessie, but those were the creatures of enormous tales when I was a kid. *sigh* Ho hum nostalgia.

For this page I used a combination of white crayon (to block the watercolour from adhering to parts of the page), watercolours, coloured pencil, and markers to distress the page, and then tried an acrylic transfer to put the group of fairies onto the page. You can see where I used too much pressure or rubbed a little too hard on it while trying to get the paper off of the back. I think it works though, and I'd call it 95% successful. The words are just my handwritting in several layers of brown marker to make them look smudgy and old.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008 07:28:22 AM by DanniQuee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2008 07:55:36 AM »

sactownsue-the dragons were printouts (on scrapbook paper) that I had made a while ago but never used. I did make a small coin purse wallet out of one, though.

calluna-I've beat up several old schoolbooks and pads of paper, too, but never knew what to do with them after I punched holes through them while making bindings for other things. I never thought to just go with it and make it an interesting altered book. Those are great ideas!

Danniquee-I LOVE your toadstool page! The classic imagery is perfect for your concept of old folklore and myth. It is sad that we treat them as silly stories now. They were probably much better when they held a certain weight to them.

I agree with sactownsue, I love this thread! I can't wait to see more from you all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2008 09:18:58 AM »

I love your faerie page DanniQuee! My Gran always told me tales...so they definitely live with me. I think they've had a good effect on how I see the world. It's a shame if people aren't being told the tales anymore, since there's always some truth or reason behind them being told generation after generation.

Your transfer looks really good. I like the rubbed effects too, it adds to the aged look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2008 12:32:14 PM »

Graverobbergirl I love the combination of painting and text in your pages, theyre great.
Calluna ooh another new journal to look forward to!
Danno I love it as usual. I think your toadstools with those white swirls are great
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
Gemcraft
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2008 12:52:19 PM »

I've managed to fit in a little work on my journal today and yesterday - as well as being on the market yesterday morning, feeling ill and making a silver ring today!

My revamped yellow page - I have painted over some of the smudged bits, covered it in yellow paper which you can still see through a bit, drawn the banana in pen and also used some yellow paint on it, and the yellow bag is now the skin but you cant tell that from the photo. Thw other writing on the page is a recipe for sweet tortillas with bananas and caramel sauce! (which I havnt tried)

My blue page so far is very simple and the first of my pages using my FIRST ATC, I may add to it in the future though. The writing on it is written by a homeless person and says

"Today
Today I shall not mourn,
Just see that smiling sun,
Feel that eager wind,
Touch that deep blue sky,
This is what I hoped for,
Then I fell asleep last night,
Life."

And not strictly journal but here are another two ATCs I made either to use in my journal or send to someone else as inspiration for theirs.

I've also got a few more backgrounds started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2008 01:53:12 PM »

Your banana looks great now, and I really like the idea of putting recipes on the page! I love your green atc too!

I've been such a slacker, just started my next page. It's going to be covered in dots as I seem to be obsessed with circles lately Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna

wandering...

« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2008 02:49:51 PM »

For this page I used a combination of white crayon (to block the watercolour from adhering to parts of the page),...

Perfect! I'm always wondering how to block off certain words and sections of a painted page when tape won't work, without having it turn a different color, and you just showed me the answer! So an old white crayon does have a point, after all (reference to a journal page from this very thread)!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 322 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Allure Sample Society January Haul
VF NEWS: The Blonds Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Beauty Tips for a Camera Ready Look
Best Ways to Get Rid of Acne at Home
New Beauty Trend: Micellar Water Magically Cleans Your Face
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...