A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 322
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Altered Journal-a-long-CLOSED--see last page for NEW THREAD  (Read 292461 times)
Tags for this thread: altered , journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008 08:00:14 AM »

Of course! Anything that's been journaled in in an arty way would fit right in! It sounds like a great book Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008 08:56:49 AM »

Hmm -perhaps technically mine doesnt count as I started using an old empty sketch book I was given, I like my sketch books with spirals on them so the pages flip over and I never used this one cos it doesnt. Erm so its an old book but not really used and its plain paper!!
Hmm maybe to find another proper old book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008 09:28:47 AM »

You can't do that to us!! I think we need to see it anyway Grin Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008 10:12:12 AM »

Ok here goes, Im planning to try and experiment with different techniques in this book - this one is watercolour pencils, collage and fineliner pen at the moment. its not finished cos all my art materials are not in the same place so I can't finish it til this weekend or maybe next week!

Here is my inspiration - a postcard i picked up at the gym

And then my pages based loosely around it, its kind of two separate pages but also they link together. The first page I plan to do the lady in something stronger like black ink and then maybe something more with the background. I want to write "water your seeds of imagination" or something similar in the space. The second page is more finished and Im not sure whether to do some more on it or not.

Any thoughts? Opinions and advice?
Any body else got any pages - finished or not?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008 10:22:22 AM »

I really like your use of different media with the shiny droplets! I'm keen to see how you tackle your writing, that's the bit I always find the most difficult!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oohmybees
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008 12:47:42 PM »

Beautiful, I always admire your work Phizzychick, you have such a distinctive style!

I have some questions Phizzychick or anyone else with some experience, Do you use all of the pages in you book or do you remove some to make more room for new page thickness? or do you glue some of the pages together to get a sturdier page?  What size of books do you like to uses?  Did you decorate the outside and if so can we see it? and finally how many pages(roughly) would be a good size for a beginner to start out with?...I would like to fill a book, but I don't want to get overwhelmed Grin.  I have kept a sketchbook/journal, but I really like the text in the background of yours, it just adds another layer of interest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Auska Nova
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008 01:01:22 PM »

So , I think it was asked before but I don't know if it was answered, but I have a question cause this is fantastic and summer's starting too, and i'd love to do this, but is this like and actual book with the pages altered, or what?

I think it is but i'm just making sure.

Thanks guys, and fantastic job on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gemcraft
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008 01:04:47 PM »

I really like your use of different media with the shiny droplets! I'm keen to see how you tackle your writing, that's the bit I always find the most difficult!

Thanks - I like the idea of what is in my head for these pages, but the translation onto paper I am not sure about.
Maybe its the unfamiliar media
Maybe its just how im feeling in life at the moment....rubbish in many ways!

I may try and do more work on this, then again I am a perfectionist so I may scrap it. I knew this was why I would find this journal difficult!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
freshdaily
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008 01:43:57 PM »

Absolutely love your journal! I love to visually document my daily life, but have never thought of using a printed book as my paper. I used to keep my website updated with my sketch journal, but as you can see, I'm about a year behind! Hopefully this will be motivation to keep it up and try new things! Thanks!
http://www.trishaeardley.com/journalthumbnails.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008 02:21:39 PM »

Thanks everyone, I hope you'll share your work too!

I have some questions Phizzychick or anyone else with some experience, Do you use all of the pages in you book or do you remove some to make more room for new page thickness? or do you glue some of the pages together to get a sturdier page?  What size of books do you like to uses?  Did you decorate the outside and if so can we see it? and finally how many pages(roughly) would be a good size for a beginner to start out with?...I would like to fill a book, but I don't want to get overwhelmed Grin.  I have kept a sketchbook/journal, but I really like the text in the background of yours, it just adds another layer of interest.

I'm not an expert, but I can offer some help from my own perspective. If anyone else has any advice, it'd be great to hear it!

For this book the pages I'm just leaving as they are since they're thick enough. I have used books before where the paper is quite thin, so I've stuck 2 or 3 pages together all the way through.

I only have one little decoration on the front of this so far, I tend to do it at the end because I find the covers can get grubby otherwise.

I use smaller books because I get too overwhelmed with big ones. Same with the books. I like the look of the writing beneath the drawings, but I also feel less intimidated with working in an old book than with a fresh clean sketchbook. Wink

but is this like and actual book with the pages altered, or what?

Sorry, yes. Lined pages, text, crossword puzzle, dot to dot, whatever was designed for a different purpose. But it'd also be interesting to see sketchbooks if they were done in a journal style i.e. documenting observations, thought and places. That kind of thing.

freshdaily, your journal looks great! If you fancy starting up again, you know we'd love for you to share it with us! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 322 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 4
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 3
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 2
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Flash - Overview
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...