A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 322
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Altered Journal-a-long-CLOSED--see last page for NEW THREAD  (Read 305302 times)
Tags for this thread: altered , journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dewshinesdopp
« Reply #3170 on: January 27, 2012 04:19:01 AM »

I didn't read all 317 pages in this, but I read enough to know that this is where I am headed next.  I have been thoroughly frustrated by my "about me" scrapbooking efforts, and this sounds like just the thing.  I even know which book I am starting with..."The Renaissance Artists: a puzzle book".   The pages are card stock, and once the puzzle pieces are gone, there will be spots for me to add "stuff" without messing with the size too much...

Especially since this is a time for change in my life, Renaissance seemed very apropos. Smiley

I'll keep you all posted on how it looks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatthepuck
« Reply #3171 on: January 27, 2012 09:02:12 AM »

I'm headed to the book store for another book. The thin pages and lumps were driving me crazy. I was only 2 pages into the other one. Hopefully I'll find a nice card stock paper type book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Swaps:
Kids Craft
Altered Puzzle Piece
Mini 13 DoH
July ATC 5/3/0

Would love to personal swap for Blythe granny square hat(s)
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3172 on: January 27, 2012 09:37:18 AM »

michelleandbean, I totally know what you mean. If you want to start off with a blank book, Michael's (or probably any art store) has mixed media books -- I love the pages. Definitely sturdier and less lumpy. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3173 on: January 27, 2012 01:38:10 PM »

KK, that book looks RAD. I love when stuff sticks out the sides!

Dewshine, can't wait to see what you do Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3174 on: January 27, 2012 04:04:58 PM »

I'm headed to the book store for another book. The thin pages and lumps were driving me crazy. I was only 2 pages into the other one. Hopefully I'll find a nice card stock paper type book.

1.  Did you glue pages together first, and rip out pages in between to allow space?  and 2.  I let my library know I wanted any discards for art and they gave me all kinds of sturdy old books to choose from.  Old children's books are often made with very sturdy pages, and don't have too many of them.  and 3.  I became addicted to art journaling last month and have been doing it every day since then, and I'm excited about finally following this thread, now that I have my email issues all straightened out.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

« Reply #3175 on: January 27, 2012 04:15:08 PM »

Thank you ladies! I definitely have more photos, but don't want to overload. Cheesy  I'd like to make some more progress building these up -- I feel like I'm stuck on doing backgrounds lately. Heres another background I used watercolor pencils for the red color and a new ampersand stamp that Im sort of obsessed with lately. The heart is made from a sheet of music that I painted and added Perfect Pearls to a while ago. And the ruler on the right is a sticker.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/50167_23Jan12_book4.JPG

Last night I went around the ampersands with a white gel pen, and I really like how that came out (this photo was taken pre-white pen) but that right page still needs a whole lot of something.

How many of you journal in your art books? Or do you just do altered books, meaning only art? I am a writer by profession, and would love to add my own words here and there -- but I'm not really a fan of stuff that has words like "Create" or "Find Joy" and stuff like that. (No offense to anyone that is!)  Then I think maybe I should write stuff thats funny, or write about my day.  But my days are boring! I dont know. Trying to find a happy medium here.

I use art journals for several reasons.  One is my watercolor sketchbook, where I just test out techniques and play with my water media, all kinds.  Sometimes I journal in there, too, in water media.  One is my blank journal where I play with pens.  My inner teenaged girl lives in that one and it's all writing decorated with markers and highlighters.  Then I have an altered book art journal where I do processing, both the light and dark subjects of my life.  I start with an issue to process and the art follows that energy. I'm working in that daily as much as I can. I also have a heavy, spiral watercolor paper journal where I test out mixed media techniques and supplies.  Oh, and a junk mail journal where I use only the week's junk mail and daily ephemera to do collage.

Yes, I am addicted to art journals.  Completely addicted.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012 06:26:37 PM by rackycoo - Reason: please don't quote photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

« Reply #3176 on: January 27, 2012 06:25:54 PM »

Nooo- Thanks Smiley

Goddesdgarb- Wow, I know I am not organized enough to keep track of that many journals all at once. Most of the time I am lucky if I can remember where I put the One that I am currently working in...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

« Reply #3177 on: January 27, 2012 07:08:45 PM »

Nooo- Thanks Smiley

Goddesdgarb- Wow, I know I am not organized enough to keep track of that many journals all at once. Most of the time I am lucky if I can remember where I put the One that I am currently working in...

Yeeeeeah it's a mess.  And that's after I narrowed it down.  I kept altering books left and right, doing a page or two in each, then altering another one.  At least I stopped doing that...I'm thinking of narrowing it down a little more...I could condense that writing-only journal and the altered book and do all of it in the book, I guess.  But no, because I need blank or totally prepped pages to write on at any time.  And I can't do collage or mixed media experiments in my watercolor journal...I love the paper too much for my watercolors....

It's a problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

« Reply #3178 on: February 22, 2012 10:20:14 PM »

Well, I had a mad urge to start making my Altered Journal/planner for March. It might have something to do with the fact that I am trying to get my house packed up and I would rather craft instead or pack, and I would rather craft with my supplies than pack/donate/toss them.

This journal is a lot different than the others I have created in the past. I removed all of the pages from the inside and just reused the cover. All of the paper inside is from my stash of scrapbook paper that has been wasting space in my house for the last 4 years. I figured, I might as well use some of it now!

This is the cover. I just glued some left overs of all the paper I had cut for the inside.

I went with lots of layers

And I also had a few papers that I really loved, so I made sure they ended up as the center folds Smiley

Can't you just pictures doodled airplanes, birds, or even Super Grover flying through this sky?

And how about doodled flowers, trees, or even a horse grazing along the hill top?

I am not sure how I will do my calendars and weekly planners, but I know that I am going to have fun with this journal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3179 on: February 23, 2012 07:45:46 AM »

It looks like you're going to be busy, KK Smiley All of those layers and fun papers are going to make for some great spreads! Can't wait to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 322 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classical Pianist Lang Lang Interview
The Auto-Win Blackjack Table
How to Play Baccarat
Basketball Handicapping Bets Tips
Sports Betting Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...