A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miss Elfwind of the middle kingdom (very image heavy)  (Read 786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Burningrubber
« on: May 28, 2008 01:44:23 AM »

This is the doll I have been working into the wee hours this past week on. I didn't plan it out, but I knew she would be an elf. I used patterns from the book Creative Cloth Doll Couture by Patti Culea. This is my second doll using her body pattern. I didn't use a pattern for her outfit. The fabric I used is from a dress that I got at a yard sale last week. For the hair I used a yarn from my stash that had a natural look to it. I doubled the length of her body(because elves have long hair) laid it across a strip of fabric and covered it with a piece of tape. I sewed right threw the tape and tore it off after I finished sewing, which took all of 2 seconds.  Grin It took longer to set up the machine than to sew. After I removed the tape, I trimed the fabric to about 1/8 inch of the sewing on each side and attached it just behind the head seam.
Next time I use this fabric I will have to make sure that when I cut the head that the streach is more in the length as her face got a bit wider than I expected. All in all this fabric was a dream to work with though.
For her outfit, I cut a piece of sheer fabric from the length of her hip to her feet and wrapped around her twice. Then I cut in about an inch and a half on each end for the tie. The top of her skirt is the binding edge of the fabric. This fabric is also from a dress that was in my stash. Then I cut it in strips and made a point at each end. Wrapped it around her hips and tied it in the back. I used 4 double swirl paperclips-two for earings, one for her top and one for her belt. For her belt I took matching ladder fiber that I had and hooked it to one end of the paper clip and then the other. I hung more of the fiber all across the belt. It is cut the same length as the skirt.
The top is just a strip of the ssame material as the skirt, folded and wrapped around the bust and tied at the neck. Then I took a thin wire and attached it to the paper clip and threaded it under the center of the top and twisted it around the other end of the paper clip.
So without further adu.....Here she is ( yes I think she knows she is sexy....you can tell. Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008 12:17:47 PM by Burningrubber - Reason: Change photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008 01:51:33 AM »

She is fantastic - I love how long and graceful she looks! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
teachingjonah
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008 03:55:56 AM »

You did excellent work on her face.  She is lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grendelsmom
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008 04:50:13 AM »

She is marvellous; you did a fabulous job on her face and outfit; and she's got legs that go all the way up to there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tvelez
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008 09:55:23 AM »

She is absolutely amazing. Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiny T
I sew, paint unfinished wood, sketch, make jewelry, crochet a bit, loom knit, and sew. Pretty much if I can get my hands on it to learn, then I will know it. Maybe not perfectly, but enough for a hobby.

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/tinyangel3d/
Burningrubber
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008 12:23:07 PM »

Thanks everyone! She started out to be like this:, but I had technical dificulties with the cotton fabric shreading on me. So this  one is  not finished yet. But she will be as soon as I find more fabric and can get her fingers turned without shredding them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Most Unforgettable Gowns From the Oscars
Oscar Dresses That Made History
The Most Talked About Oscars Dresses Of All Time
3 Best Trends From London Fashion Week!
10 Heinous Trends From the 2000s That Should Never Come Back
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...