A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Substitute for boning in Corsets?  (Read 7216 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CaityBear
« on: May 27, 2008 09:45:09 PM »

I want to make a corset that is a bit stiff, but not really stiff. Any ideas of how I can make it stiffish and what I can use?

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008 05:19:06 AM »

You might be able to skip the boning altogether and just interface the snot out of your fabric (I'm not 100% sure that will work the way you want though).

Also some fabric stores sell plastic boning in different weights which is much lighter than spring steel. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008 07:39:21 AM »

Like she said Smiley There are a variety of weights of plastic boning.

Forgoing boining in a corset depends on several things:
1) what size are yer boobs? If you are an A cup or a narrow B, you can probably get away with just heavy innnerfacing & stiff fabric layers. If you have bodacious ta-tas, you need the boning to keep the corset where it belongs. C cup or better will push the corset down- yes- even if you try lacing it really tight. Sagging and too tight is really not attractive.

2) is this truly a corset or is it a vest type or one with straps? If there is something over the shoulder to keep the top parts up, you can usually get away with skipping it.

3) is it being worn over other clothing? if it's pairing up with other stuff on the outside of other garments, again, you can get away with skipping the boning. If it's acting like underwear (corsets are underwear!) it needs boning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaityBear
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008 05:32:27 PM »

I'm thinking of doing all sorts of corsets, like vest ones maybe, or over shirt ones, or shirt type of corsets, some with straps, some without.

I'm looking for all sorts of options really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008 05:49:59 PM »

Roethke has a great corset tute on Craftster, and she just uses plastic drink bottle plastic. I've also used 1mm-thick plastic sheets, cut into strips. I think it's a model-making supply.

Just take a look at whatever's lying around the house, and see if you can improvise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
laughingsister
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008 08:42:08 PM »

I saw a corset boned with those plastic zip ties, you know the long ones they use for handcuffs? I only saw a picture, they seemed to do the trick. Seems to me it was here on Craftster ... I think in the challenge section - yes, a couple of months ago during the dollar store challenge - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=237720.msg2609051#msg2609051
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairies-in-disguise

if it doesn't kill us, it probably should have

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008 07:07:49 AM »

cable ties! cable ties!

sorry - but these little wonders rock! if u use quite a heavy gauge then they'll hold up most things.

fairies xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008 03:04:46 AM »

For DIY light weight boning... a cool whip bowl works great.  Especially at 2am in the morning when there are no stores open and you just have to get it finished.  Cut the bowl down one side, cut off the bottom and the lip.  Lay between pressing cloth (pillow case works great) and use moderate heat to press it flat.  Once it cools in a few seconds you can cut it to the widths and lenghts needed.  You can stitch through it easily with a long stitch if you dont want or cant put in a seam casing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008 07:42:05 PM »

I had the cutest Wet Seal tank top that had corset seams, but no boning.  The seams were really well placed, the thing was lined, and I think lightly interfaced, and it fit like a dream (I've gained a size or so since I got it, but I still have it for when I get back down there).  Anyway, it was really nice because it looked like a corset, provided a wee bit of shaping, and yet could go in the wash, and I could sit.  Plastic boning, I've found since, tends to want to warp when you sit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
littlemuffler
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008 08:14:57 AM »

yes to plastic zip ties. i'm cheap and boning is expensive! also the ladies at my JoAnn's suggested cutting up a milk jug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ian Falconer Talks About Olivia Goes to Venice
Gwyn Cready Talks About Aching for Always
Justin Somper Gives Some Answers
Nic Pizzolatto Talks About Galveston
Nic Pizzolatto Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...