A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Scarf with clouds **now with pattern-post#32  (Read 19746 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ainadaliel
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2008 12:32:07 AM »

Oh, and last question...

When you guys work on ch to do a rowwhere do you insert the hook? Do you insert it under the two Vs, on just the top V, or on the top V and butt? Ive read in Debbie Stollers book to insert it on the two Vs, but on all the other tutorials online, they only insert it on the top V. Sad

Help, anyone? Which would make my scarf not stretch? Because the first time I attempted this scarf, I crocheted into the top V only, and the scarf started to curve and really look like a curved rainbow! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2008 09:27:18 AM »

I'm off to make one too!  this is cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
everkutz
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2008 04:20:22 PM »

Oh, and last question...

When you guys work on ch to do a rowwhere do you insert the hook? Do you insert it under the two Vs, on just the top V, or on the top V and butt? Ive read in Debbie Stollers book to insert it on the two Vs, but on all the other tutorials online, they only insert it on the top V. Sad

Help, anyone? Which would make my scarf not stretch? Because the first time I attempted this scarf, I crocheted into the top V only, and the scarf started to curve and really look like a curved rainbow! Sad

I put the hook under BOTH strands of the V (which would be both the front and the back loops).  This is a fairly "loose" scarf since it is done in double crochet-so I'm not sure what would cause it not to stretch, unless you crochet super tight.  The only thing I can think of that caused your curve in the other scarf would be that you added a double crochet at the beginning of each row and possibly at the end of the row--so you would be adding a stitch or two to each row. ---That would cause a curve.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2008 06:48:42 PM »

...what everkutz said. The first time my daughter made this scarf she did it in single crochet because she likes the density of the stitch, and found it curved or arched slightly. The second time it was more pronounced because the stitches were much tighter (she must have been tense about something, my stitches are tighter when I'm angry or stressed). The 3rd one was worked in double crochet, and, personally, I like the double stitch much better. I love the feel of the looser yarn, much softer and no curve!

In case you're wondering why so many scarves...the first one was mailed to Indiana and put in a basket of Wizard of Oz goodies our Oz club donates to the Oz festival's auction every year. Proceeds go toward the following year's event to help offset expenses, and this year our basket went for $400!

The second scarf is mine, and the third one is going to a friend of mine who lives in Ohio (I'm in California). He had a rough year health-wise and he'll absolutely love it and I'm sure will actually wear it. My daughter still needs to put the clouds on it, then it's on its way.

This is such a timeless pattern and everyone I've shown it to has gone gah-gah over it! Thanks again for sharing it with us, everkutz!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbowtastic
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2008 08:10:04 PM »

i'm definately making this!
i love rainbows... if you couldn't tell from my name... and its getting chilly out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ainadaliel
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2008 07:13:20 AM »

Here's mine!  Grin

That's my friend modelling it. She's been bugging me to make her a rainbow scarf for the longest time! So this pattern was perfect timing!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008 07:14:29 AM by Ainadaliel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

madidolly
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2008 05:23:07 AM »

Hmm about the curve thing, I have found if you do your foundation chain with a hook one size large then change back to the hook size you'll be using for the rest of the scarf the curve should be eliminated.  I use this same method when starting off scarves too.  You may have noticed scarves are slightly narrower where you've started with a slight curve.  If you crochet super tight you may wan to go up two sizes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ainadaliel
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2008 05:10:33 PM »

Hmm about the curve thing, I have found if you do your foundation chain with a hook one size large then change back to the hook size you'll be using for the rest of the scarf the curve should be eliminated.  I use this same method when starting off scarves too.  You may have noticed scarves are slightly narrower where you've started with a slight curve.  If you crochet super tight you may wan to go up two sizes.

Yep, that's exactly what I did! Smiley Thanks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2008 06:19:04 PM »

I love your scarf Ainadaliel!  You did an awesome job and your model seems pleased with it.  There's something about a rainbow that makes one smile or feel happy! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2008 09:56:08 PM »

Wonderful job, Ainadaliel! Thanks so much for showing us the photo, how cool, and your friend looks uber happy to have a rainbow around her neck!

I like that tip about using a bigger hook for the first row, gotta pass that one around, thanks, madidolly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David Hazony Talks About The Ten Commandments
Jon Scieszka Reads from Truckery Rhymes
Crossing the Tracks Book Trailer
Rick Springfield Talks About Late, Late at Night Part 2
Blood Ties Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...