A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Syrup?  (Read 610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monsterkookies
Monster Kookies

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2008 08:33:48 PM »

How would you go about making syrup? I have seen postings with pancakes and such with that nice see-through translucent syrup with the dabs of butter on top, and was curious to know how you would get that effect?

I just got my hands on some TLS, so hopefully this can aid in the process somehow. I just used TLS for the first time, today, and I have to say that it was very fun.

I mixed a bit with some light green kneaded sculpey and made some icing to frost a cupcake. The final product came out wonderful, and now I am ready to try something "thinner" than icing.

I figured I would ask you wonderful people since you seem to know what you are doing  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008 09:34:53 AM »

To make a transparent liquid from a liquid polymer clay you'd want to tint it with something that's transparent rather than translucent or opaque, and you might also want to use the clearest brands of liquid clay (Fimo and Kato) and/or hit the liquid clay briefly with higher heat to get it as clear as possible while curing, or sand then buff it... liquid clays aren't all that "clear" unless they're very thin or treated in certain ways.

Transparent colorants would be things like alcohol inks (Adirondack and Pinata are two brands) and small amounts of oil paints and other oil based things like Wilton paste colors and oil pastel shavings ... colorants which could end up making the clay more translucent instead of transparent would be acrylic paints and other things containing water as well or some powders, etc.  For most of those things, using just a tiny amount can help too.
Check out this page for more info on what kinds of inclusions will give different results in liquid clay:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/LiquidSculpey.htm
(...click on Inclusions & Coloring Liquid Clays...and you also might want to click on Getting the Clearest Result...)

Some people may also be using tinted epoxy resins (oil paints can be used as colorants in those), or tinted clear acrylic liquids like polyurethanes, Future, or gloss "acrylic medium" though rather than liquid clay.

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 07:45:04 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
CraftyZedral
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008 11:33:40 PM »

So it is possible to use acrylic paint with TLS?  I am going to try using powdered colors and see what happens.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008 07:21:55 AM »

Generally it's not a good idea to put anything that has water in it inside liquid polymer clay (or solid polymer clay either).  The clay is oil-based and has no water so the moisture will get trapped inside the liquid (or solid) clay.  When it's heated, the the moisture will turn to steam and swell but be unable to escape... the effect of the "bubbles" created will be to create areas of opacity or at least less transparency. 

For solid clay, mixing in only a small amount of acrylic paint, then also allowing it to sit out awhile (perhaps overnight) will often give a reasonable result since some of the moisture will migrate to the surface and evaporate (this is the common wisdom anyway-not sure exactly what's happening technically). 
It's possible this would work well enough for liquid clay too, but for the clearest result possible, it's better not to use anything water-based or which contains residual moisture (like bare wood, for example) or air, that will be trapped under or inside the clay.

Also, not sure which colorants you're referring to as "colored powders."  Most powders aren't oil soluble so they will also create areas of opacity... if one uses a very finely ground powder or not too much powder though, the particles will be widely spread enough to keep the look of transparency in all the other areas --e.g., adding a small amount of metallic powder would just create flecks of glimmer in the transparent field and could be acceptable, but adding a solid colored powder won't do the same.  That's why some people color liquid clay with shavings from oil pastels, but haven't done it myself so not sure how much that actually would affect real transparency.

Btw, oil paints* and especially alcohol inks** are the preferred colorants for the clearest results in liquid or solid polymer clay. 
*oil paints can be purchased inexpensively in kits with a number of colors of small tubes inside... with just a few colors, you can mix any color you want in the regular way before adding to the clay, or you can color two bits of clay first separately with unmixed colors, then mix the two clays together till you get the color you want 
**you might want to let items sit with the alcohol ink on them before or after incorporating into clay too, but shouldn't take nearly as long as water would to dissipate

Another option would be just to create the syrup color on the clay first (by adding solid or liquid clay of the right color, or by painting baked clay with acrylic paint), then carefully applying liquid clay or another clear finish --like Varathane, or Future which would be thinner, or clear acrylic fingernail polish*** or other clear mediums-- only on top of that area.  If using liquid clay on top, it may also be necessary to heat it higher briefly, or to sand and buff it, to get the most clarity from it.
***Maybelline's Wet 'N Wild clear nail polish is supposed to be especially "wet" looking

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 08:00:51 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fourth of July Nail Art Tutorial
How to Get Smooth Skin
How to Get Your Makeup to Last All Day
How to Self Tan for Summer
How to Waterproof Your Eye Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...