A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Six new items of clothing! [pics included]  (Read 1720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

what is essential is invisible to the eye

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2010 01:23:54 AM »

Hi! First post here, but I've been lurking for a while. I managed to save up and nab a cheap, simple sewing-machine a few weeks back, and I've been making things like crazy. It only does variations on straight and zig-zag stitch, so it's very simple, but I love it.

This is the first skirt I have ever made, as I only ever made pants in sewing class at school. The photo isn't very good, but it's a lovely purple colour with white and pink flowers on it, and a black zip. It was my first ever zip, and it went in pretty well! I had to pleat a bit at the back to make it fit properly, but it's so cute.

This is an op-shop rescue. It's not actually crooked -- I just stand funny. A size 8/10 skirt given an elastic waist further down so that it will fit me. Smiley It's super comfy, and will be great in summer! I upped the brightness so you can see the colours -- it's an insane fabric!

A plain skirt made with scraps of fabric. The bottom is a really funky, weird print I got for like, three dollars at spotlight because it was only 45cm long. Luckily, it fit me the other way around and could be manipulated into a skirt via a piece of black material Cheesy

This skirt cost me about fifty cents. I picked up the pillowcase at vinnies, used thread I had and some buttons I found in Mum's drawer. It looks much nicer than that -- the colours in the photo are a bit off. But it's a nice pastel yellow, and kinda adorable.

Unfinished, as the sleeves need to be fixed and it needs to be hemmed, but this is a dress I am working on. I made a pattern from a dress I bought, and decided to make a similar one. It's got a lot of flaws, but I love the fabric so I will forgive it. Smiley

A neckerchief thing I whipped up one morning when it was about one degree (celcius) outside. It's got a button at the back to keep it on, but it is very warm, surprisingly! More fabric from the op-shop.

This is just me giving a face to the clothes, and spazzing out with the neckerchief. Smiley

Thanks for looking! Hopefully I will be making some more (summer!) clothes soon.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here, and now.
S.E. Hardy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010 06:54:52 AM »

Wow! That's an impressive start to sewing!

I especially love the neckerchief (with a button to hold it on!! it's genius!!! esp. because I am a wimp when it comes to the cold Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All-Natural Hand-Crafted Family-Made Soap!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SemiNomadicSoap
hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010 01:38:08 PM »

Thanks!

I know, right? It's great for scraps of fabric -- make a square, fold it, sew it and add a button. It's cute and waarrrrm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here, and now.
purefairydust
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010 05:56:02 AM »

You are do great for a beginner. The dress looks absolutely comfortable and stylist event without the sleeves. You could even finish the armholes and have a wonderful sleeveless summer dress. Sewing is a wonderful creative outlet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010 01:01:21 AM »

Thanks so much! The dress is super comfy, and I should have clarified that when I say fix, I mean shorten the straps so they don't slide around! Thank youuuu~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms.Bonnie
One Crafty Queen

One Crafty-Queen, I Be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010 08:17:33 AM »

LOVE the fabric of the dress, I can see why you love it even if it's not perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Tamarind Is Used in Indian Recipes
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk Recipe
How to Make Channa Masala Sauce
Maya Kaimal Talks About Her Cooking Experience
How Turmeric Is Used in Indian Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...