A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EEEEKKKK! I can't recycle dairy containers anymore! Any ideas?  (Read 717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ollieorange
« on: May 27, 2008 03:11:23 PM »

My community is no longer taking ANY dairy containers except milk cartons for recycling . No yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream- nothin'! I guess there is no market for them to resell it and there are too many kinds... and BLAH BLAH BLAH! I can reuse some of them as "tupperware", but eventually I'm going to have a lot to deal with. I physically can't bring myself to throw them in the landfill (yucky word!)
What in the world am I going to do with all these containers?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008 11:22:21 AM »

Using them over again as storage is fabulous!  You will find so many uses (not just food; think buttons, beads, etc.)  But, once that gets old, you can also use them to start seedlings if you garden, and don't have the most plant-friendly climate, or have a windowsill garden if you live in an apartment.  They're also great for holding glue, paint, water, etc. while you're crafting.  If you have kids, they make great rattles, too (the yogurt sized ones).  Just put two jingle bells in there, or some dried beans, and glue the top on.  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
funkensteins
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008 05:38:31 PM »

When I first started saving them, I ended up with tons and thought I was going to turn into one of those crazy people with stuff all over their home... but, once I started thinking of things and using them, I am finding I constantly feel I don't have enough. Here are things I use them for:

I use the large yogurt tubs to mix paint, and I also put small plants in them. I crocheted hanging plant holders out of worn out clothes and fabric I would not use for anything else and put the containers in there. The ones pictured are actually milk jugs cut in half. I also use the giant ice cream buckets for these (I have a family of 6, so that is a staple.. Smiley Here are the photos, I am not good at crocheting, and I used a giant hook:

I know the photos are far away, but hopefully you get the idea

I use the smaller ones for seed starting, and I also use them for homemade pudding and single serve type things. I have grabbed a handful of them for disposable cups on a long distance picnic, Where I still ended up throwing them away, but at least we got another last use out of them first. I use them for mixing paint, and I fill some with water and put them in the freezer to help fill it up so it uses les energy. Good luck. bummer about the no more recycling!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008 05:40:25 PM by funkensteins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bridget not gidget
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008 02:18:02 PM »

Check out Terra-cycle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014: Best Makeup Trends for Next Spring
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014: Backstage Beauty: ICB by Prabal Gurung
Ruffian Manicure Tutorial
Rihanna Releases MAC Campaign
DIY Avocado Body Mask
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...