A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Card Holder From Fused Plastic Bags IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 2063 times)
Tags for this thread: fused_plastic  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ashli_penguinlove
« on: May 27, 2008 11:51:36 AM »

Tutorial
How to make a simple card holder from fused plastic bags

Tools Needed
Scissors
2 plastic bags
Glue Gun
Velcor
2 pieces of heavy card stock
An Iron
A permanent marker
A envelope template (you can easily make one yourself or search for one online)
Buttons for embellishments (optional)
Ironing Board or Table

Step One
Start by heating up your iron and glue gun. Flatten out your plastic bag of choice on your ironing board or table.

Step Two
Cut off bottom and top(handles) of bag. Do this for both bags.

Step Three
Now cut up the sides to make two big sheets of plastic. If youre making something big you dont have the cut both sides just one and youll have one big piece.

Step Four
Cut the bag in half. Im cutting them in half since Im making something small. They end up being about the size of a sheet of card stock.

Step Five
You now have 8 pieces of plastic bag. You only need 5-6, too many and it wont fuse, too little and it will melt. I used 6. Sandwich your plastic sheets between the 2 pieces of card stock (one on top and one on bottom)

Step 6
You are now ready to iron. Your iron should be somewhere between cotton and rayon. I have mine set on wool which is between cotton and rayon. For my iron cotton was too hot and it melted. It may take a few times to get it right since irons vary. When ironing, if plastic bag is poking out from the sides of your cardstock be careful not to iron it. Touching the plastic with your iron will melt it and ruin your iron.

Step 7
After you iron it for bit, let it cool for a few minutes. If you didnt plug in a glue gun before do it now. After it cools check to make sure all the layers fused. If portions still feel like a plastic bag or you can separate them, then you need to iron that section again. Dont iron too long or youll get bubbles, unless you want bubbles.

Step 8
Get out your envelope template. Mine is gift card sized so it works great has a credit card holder. Trace the template and cut it out. Then fold just like you would paper. This should be just like making a paper envelope. If you want to sew it instead you can!

Step 9
Using a glue gun on the plastic will fuse it and make a strong bond. Please be careful as the glue melts the bag and its not jut hot glue but hot plastic too. It hurts, trust me. Now you need to glue the flaps to the inside of the bottom flap. Put the hot glue on the outside of both flaps. Now glue the Velcro on. You can use a small piece of Velcro or a large strip if you want to make a coin pouch.

Step 10
Now you can add embellishments to front if youd like. Then add your cards and youre done. Try experimenting with different colors of plastic bags!

I hope you like it! I've been making a ton of sweet ones lately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008 12:18:14 PM »

Thanks for the tute! I've been seeing all the cool fused bag goodies around here lately, and I was wondering how it was done. I'm so excited about going through my overwhelming plastic bag stash now that I know how it's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Acai Bowls
DIY Fruit Roll-Ups
How to Make Your Own Salad Dressing
How to Make a Healthy Chicken Salad as a Main Course
How to Make a Healthy Chicken Salad Sandwich with Pesto
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...