A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,192
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creative ways to make your own scrapbook albums?  (Read 5282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2008 11:42:54 AM »

i finally gave in and started buying the supplies to start scrapbooking!! i've been avoiding it for so long because i see how much some people end up spending on it and i was bad enough buying yarn all the time LOL. but it sucked me in and now i'm exploring all my options. i've been seeing some really cute handmade scrapbook albums around here, rather than the big fancy ones you can buy. i've seen the paper bag ones and heard of some cardboard ones, but i'm not sure how to do all that. what are some other materials and techniques you guys use to make your own scrapbook albums??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008 05:11:00 PM »

I use a three ring binder and sheet protectors for my regular albums. works great for 8.5x11 paper. I can deco the folder all I want. Makes it easy for the everyday chronological type of scrapping. And way more economical than a scrapbook bought as a scrapbook. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009 02:38:18 AM »

A binder's a good idea, I might try that. I keep wanting to get into scrapbooking, but falling down at the first hurdle - I have no idea what my actual scrapbook would be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009 09:27:16 AM »

i make most of my mini albums from scratch

i bought a set of spines for like 6 dollars (and i got ALOT of spines for it) and i use the chipboard from different items as covers

it involves alot of math, but i think its worth it in the end.

if you would like i can do a tutorial for you and post it here Smiley

i would do all the math parts, but it would be a good way to learn all the steps so you could do it for yourself

ANOTHER way to bind is using ribbon, my best friend uses that method the most
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
bc7ate9
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009 07:59:44 PM »

I often use regular 3-ring binders too.  (If you do buy a ready-made scrapbook, I definitely suggest getting the kind with rings and not the post-bound style!)

I also make a lot of my albums with chipboard and binder rings that you can buy at office supply stores - especially for mini books. 

Another idea is a Zutter Bind-it-All.  You may not want to make the investment, but I got one and have been making all sorts of perfect books!  (Well, perfect for my needs!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KCMonkey
Silly Monkey

Except that one. . .and Mickey Dolenz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009 12:46:32 PM »

I don't scrapbook, but I just found these eco-binders at Office Max.  They are sort of like chip board which makes them a perfect clean slate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently:
Missing my awesome evil minions and wishing they were here
Going Christmas craft crazy
In love with the miracle of modern medicine
Needing to brush my shedding dogs

My Gigantic Wist
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009 06:12:38 AM »

I've only made one so far, but I recycled the cardboard from an old wine box Cheesy

I cut it just a little larger than the pages and then attached a chipboard strip down the ring sides which I hole punched in 3 places. The strip was because I didn't think the cardboard would hold up too well being pulled on the rings all the time, but it also gave it a nice shape. Then I covered the whole thing with brown gummed art tape to firm it up a bit, painted it up and voila, this is how it turned out...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009 06:29:18 AM »

Phizzychick!  Love, love, love your book!

I just made a scrapbook with handmade covers for a foster dog we had (and I didn't get a picture of it because I was scrambling to finish before her forever family showed up!). 

Anyway, I cut covers from a soft dog food "tray" and then covered them with patterned paper.  I punched holes down the sides to match the holes of the plastic pages and then added 3/16" metal eylets to reinforce the holes.  I held the whole thing together with metal binder rings like Phyzzichick used (you can get those at any office supply store or even at Walmart if you're in the US).  I also tied ribbons to the rings just for fun.  To finish it, I covered chipboard letters with patterned paper and spelled out the dog's name for the cover. 

What I did is definitely NOT professional-book-binder quality, but I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

I'm making another handmade scrapbook just like the one I just described for the Biggy Iggy Auction/Fundraiser next month.  I'll definitely take photos of that one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Velvet Rose
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009 11:48:23 PM »

Has anyone here made a paper bag album?

I would like to try one but I am worried that the bag will not be acid free - even though it will be covered in acid free paper. Would that be a problem?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009 11:49:46 PM by Velvet Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009 03:46:55 PM »

i have made a couple paperbag albums

i dont really care about acid free anymore (it just costs to much, mostly i mean adhesives though...i still buy acid free stickers and paper) BUT you can just spray them with archival mist and they will be fine

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Cook Asparagus
Italian Sausage & Stuffed Mushrooms Recipes
Baked Potato
Seafood Gumbo
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...