A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Updated: Appliqued airplane square w/machine sewn binding (didn't win)  (Read 1740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smudgycat
« on: May 27, 2008 10:52:53 AM »

This is a 12 inch by 12 inch square for the Air Venture Quilt Square contest.  It's getting mailed off today!

This is my first appliqué project, and I have to say, invisible nylon thread is a wonderful invention.  I drew the airplane on a graph paper grid.  Then i drew an enlarged grid on my paper pattern and transferred the drawing to the pattern.  The landscape is a hodge podge of fabrics I had in my stash; the majority of the fabric was from our anniversary trip in January (I was going to make an anniversary quilt for us, but it turned into this instead).

The landscape elements were just free-form cut from the fabrics.  The airplane was cut out using freezer paper as a stencil.  I also found you can use the glad press and seal plastic to make patterns from one paper, then just stick it to another and cut around the shapes.  It's a good option for those without a light box.  All the fabric bits were glued in place using a water soluble glue stick, then I did a zig zag stitch using invisible thread on the top to secure it all down.  When the main pieces were done, I free motioned more stitching because it looked so empty.

The binding is double thickness, and I sewed it to the back first, then zig zagged it to the front.  It went fast, and I think it looks nice.  On the backside, the neutral thread made a frame of sorts around the whole square, which looks cool.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008 03:22:58 PM by smudgycat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
saraheliza
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008 11:23:08 AM »

That's fantastic -well done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008 11:30:20 AM »

Beautiful job!  I really like the bear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lellibo

Failiure is always an option

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008 11:30:45 AM »

That's amazing i'll keep my fingers crossed for you  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes
kaymadben
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008 12:25:07 PM »

WOW!! That is so awesome! How did you do that bear? I love all the fabrics you used and your airplane. So you're sending it off for a contest? You're getting it back though right? You did a fabulous job on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
suegee

Crazy, crafting pug mom!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008 05:50:23 PM »

Beautiful!!  And this is your first applique project?  Wow!  Turned out great.  Good luck in the contest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smudgycat
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008 07:29:27 PM »

The square got sent off today, and after the contest is over, the organization will keep the entries on display until next year.  So I'll get it back at some point in the future.  When it returns home, it'll be a present for my hubby.  :-)

The bear fabric is super cute.  It's by benartex, and it has a bear and a cat carrying a picnic basket, walking, looking at things, and taking a nap on a cushion. It's labeled with The Quiltmaker's Gift and Scholastic.  I got it as a fat quarter, so that's all the info I have for it.  I had no luck finding it online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
roolen1
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008 09:56:18 PM »

That's BEAUTIFUL work! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zen_crafter

Be the change you want to see in the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008 09:01:47 AM »

That is so cool!  It looks really neat and fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She who dies with the most fabric, wasted a lot of time!!

www.EnrightDesigns.etsy.com

www.wists.com/zen_crafter
angelbum
Tutorial Contributor

Artisania

I wonder what I'll make today...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008 11:15:31 AM »

Well I hope you win, this is a great little quilt! I particularly like how the plane is positioned in the frame. Hehe, so fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008 03:22:01 PM »

Well, I went to see the contest entries last week, and my block didn't get chosen for any awards. 
Here is the page with the entries: www .airventure.org/2008/events/quilt_contest.html 
(mine is in the top row, 2nd from the right side; another person from my area is 4th in from the right)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008 05:08:42 PM by smudgycat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

frolic
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008 12:57:42 PM »

Wow, I like the first one and the fifth one pretty well, but I definitely think yours is better than most of the ones that won something. I don't know much about aviation, so maybe I'm missing something, but some of those didn't even seem that well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw Cartoon Monsters
How to Draw a Drum Set
How Drawings Express Feelings
How Colors Represent Emotion in Paintings
How to Express yourself with Colors When Painting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...