A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
848 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper or Plastic? Fabric please... My new grocery bags  (Read 1365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kimmermonroe

Remembers when Polymer clay only came in white..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 27, 2008 09:52:39 AM »

I go grocery shopping at the commissary 2X a month, like almost every other military family. I end up coming home with at least 20 bags of groceries. I hate watching the plastic bags pile up, so I made some of my own.
They are just simple $1 yd fabric (Striped denim with sparkle goodness) sewn in a simple tote style.
I figure 10 larger bags is a good start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008 09:54:40 AM »

Good for you!  Crafting to save our earth is very attractive!  Sparkles are a bonus Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
CeraMom
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008 10:25:06 AM »

Totally love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008 10:27:01 AM »

Good for you and they look great too!  I just started using fabric bags a few months ago myself. It took me a few weeks to remember to bring them with me, but I'm pretty good at it now.  I cut apart a paper bag and made a fabric version.  They still hold all that a paper bag would (2 gallons of milk, etc.), but with handles and fabric, they're much sturdier and easier to carry.  Enjoy your new bags!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rakuette
i make pottery!

i <3 midtown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008 10:32:29 AM »

awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal blog- http://rakuette.blogspot.com/
my stuff for sale- http://Rakuette.etsy.com
365 craft- http://365craft.blogspot.com
365 clay- http://365clay.blogspot.com

i would like to be a swap angel
a) it's a good thing to do
b) i have 5 swaps from 3 years ago that i
would like to make up
Oriole
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008 02:18:11 AM »

Kudos to you for your environmentally friendly idea Cheesy. I also like grocery bags with long holders so I can wear them over my shoulders. So you can carry more stuff at once Wink. Maybe that's something for you, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimmermonroe

Remembers when Polymer clay only came in white..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008 04:29:29 AM »

The shorter handles  are to benefit the baggers. At the commissary all the baggers also carry and load your groceries in the vehicle in a front open cart. I figured 10 bags long straps would get all over the place and get caught in the wheels.
(If only  I can get them to come home and put the stuff away too  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008 06:33:12 AM »

Actually, mine have longer straps (not extremely long, but long enough to get over my shoulder) and the commissary baggers handle them just fine.  I do think that I might add some tiny handles on the sides, however, that would kind of mimic the handles on the plastic bags that everyone uses.  That way the bags could be hooked onto the little metal bag holder/carousel thingy to help with the filling process.  I know that my bags are floppy and therefore harder to fill.  After filled, however, they are easier to carry.  I just wish I could get the Wal-Mart/Target/other grocery store people to like the fabric bags.  I usually end up doing the bagging myself because they don't seem to be able to handle the floppy bags.  I'm sure it will come with time.  After all, I'm still working on remembering my bags in every store.  I always take them with me to grocery stores, but sometimes forget them when I go into other stores.  One time, I went to the fabric store to buy fabric to make more grocery totes and carried the fabric out in a plastic bag.  How dumb is that??   Tongue 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewSillyMom

Dogs have owners...cats have staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008 05:18:01 PM »

One time, I went to the fabric store to buy fabric to make more grocery totes and carried the fabric out in a plastic bag.  How dumb is that??     

That made me laugh out loud......that is sooo something I would do!!  Too funny Shocked

Kimmermonroe,  good for you!  You're totes are great!
I've been using my own fabric bags, too...I think I'm the only one in my small city!  I go thru the self-check out lanes at Wal-Mart so I bag my stuff myself
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.BlackbirdStudio .etsy.com

*Check out my new blog I started with my little girl featuring handmade cuteness, vintage, retro..finds!  You'll see our fave Etsy sellers there Smiley
http://marleyandmom.blogspot.com/
DrachenFloete
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008 07:47:39 PM »

One time, I went to the fabric store to buy fabric to make more grocery totes and carried the fabric out in a plastic bag.  How dumb is that??   Tongue 

That really doesn't beat my story:

I went to the store (I won't say which Wal-Mart it was) and took two of my own already-purchased bags in, handed them to the cashier, and was almost charged again for them.  When I told her I had paid for them already, she put them in a plastic bag for me...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008 07:55:21 PM by DrachenFloete » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DrachenFloete
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Turkish Glass Blowing
The Art of Ebru
The Art of Turkish Calligraphy
The Art of Recycled African Culture Puppets
Learn about Recycled Art and Beadworks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...