A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chai-wiches  (Read 901 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jhenmason
« on: May 27, 2008 09:26:10 AM »

this is a delicious take on a couple recipes I found and altered from allrecipes.com
The cookies are super soft, spice cake cookies sandwiching a chai-spiced, cream-cheese icing. Please let me know if you make these and how they turned out.

Cookies:
1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Icing:
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, eggs and oil. Mix until well blended. Roll dough into 2 inch balls, and place them onto the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the balls slightly with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
To make the filling, beat the cream cheese, confectioner' sugar and all spices together until smooth. Spread between two cooled cookies.

***I would reccommend smaller cookies, because these are quite rich (coming from a desert LOVER). Be sure to shorten your cooking time accordingly.
also, it doesn't look like a lot of icing, but it will be enough for the 16-18 sandwiches you make.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

designer, photographer, painter...
                          creator of things good and girly
www.tisktisk.ca
www.jhenmason.etsy.com
Caboosey
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008 12:10:19 PM »

YUM!  These sound delicious, I think I'll get the ingredients next time I go to the store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SciFunk
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008 03:18:48 PM »

I made these last night, so I thought I'd put in my two cents about them. They were yummy!

1. I didn't have cardamom, so I was going to buy some, but boy is it expensive! So instead I got a bottle of chai spices (which was much cheaper), and added about 4 tsp of it to the icing instead of using the mixture of spices suggested in the recipe.
2. The whole recipe made 9 cookies that were about 3.5 inches big. Each one was enough to feed a third world country for about two months. I had some friends over that generally scarf down all kinds of food, but they could barely finish one. So 9 cookies is definitely enough.  Smiley

Overall, they were incredibly delicious! Everyone who tried them loved them, and I would definitely make these cookies again. I wish I had some pictures to show you, but they got eaten up so quick I didn't have time!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Service Dog Inspires Artist to Paint With Wheelchair
Local Artist Competition Energizes Texas Art Scene
How to Draw Dragons with Emily Gravett
Justin Bieber Made Out of Crayons
Locating Landscapes in Christ Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...