A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best glue to use??  (Read 51285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cardiganweather!
coffee: go swig or go home.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2008 01:41:36 PM »

i am pretty new to scrapbooking and i was in hobby lobby today trying to pick some glue/adhesive to use for my pages. let's just say, hobby lobby is the size of a small country. i was so overhwelmed! i honestly had no idea that there were that many different kinds of glues for scrapbooking! so i'm asking, what do you all use to glue down things like photos and die cuts and embellishments? i have some roll-on glue from my first year of college that i didn't end up using but somehow i don't think that's going to cut it...

thanks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luna1375
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008 07:35:21 PM »

I like glue dots a lot.  But when I run out I just use my glue stick and I like that too.  I used to use a Xyron sticker maker but I always had glue on the edges that had to be rubbed off and that was a pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008 01:23:54 PM »

i'm fairly new too but from what i've learned/heard, acid free glue sticks and glue dots and anything that's gonna come out flat and stay that way (as in not wrinkle up the paper like regular old elmer's glue would) is perfect. people like glue dots because you don't have to wait for them to dry, they're just little dots of adhesive you peel off a roll of paper. they're like $4 for a roll of 200 dots at michael's. glue sticks are on the cheaper side, i think scotch and elmer's make some good ones. michael's also has a cheap glue stick by the brand "craftsmart", you can get a pack of 4 small ones for like $2. they're good too. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meggeeohfour
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008 10:48:19 AM »

i love this glue http://www.scrapbook.com/products/review.php?m=show&sku=BB-TM3000
it's amazing and doesn't make your paper crinkle. i use this and snail removable adhesive so i can reposition it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy store! www.megan6986.etsy. com
Kyrie04
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008 06:58:09 PM »

Glue sticks are awesome. They are cheap and work just as good as anything else. They even sell special ones at Wal Mart that are especially for photos. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008 08:54:12 AM »

what do you all use to glue down things like photos and die cuts and embellishments?

Well...  you need different adhesives for different applications.  So add these to your scrapbooking arsenal:

I use Manco brand "Easy Stick" dry adhesive to stick paper to paper.  It's available in the office supplies section at Walmart.  It's in a red dispenser and has a little duck on it.  Joann's has it as well.  There's permanent and repositionable.  Hermafix dots and Vario tape dispensers are also good dry adhesives (they're just more expensive than Manco/Duck brand).

To attach ribbon or fabric, I use plain ol' glue stick.  Glue stick is cheap, but it's messy.  You'll end up with it all over you fingers in no time!

To attach chunky embellishments like rhinestones or buttons, I use a small dab of Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue in the purple bottle which is extra thick and gooey, and dries clear (the Tacky Glue in the gold bottle is second best, it's just not as thick).  As long as you don't go overboard with it, it won't warp your cardstock.

And, I just found out that Elmer's rubber cement is acid free and archival safe (says so on the bottle!).  I've used it to glue cardstock to cardstock with great results.  I'm still a little nervous about gluing my photos down with it, though.  It SAYS it's acid free, but that doesn't mean it's not going to bleed through or something.

HTH! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherryrose
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008 04:30:12 AM »

I use double sided tape for everything! But you have to be careful, once you lay it down it sticks immediately and you will not get it off without ripping things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
lthykeson
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010 07:57:46 PM »

I have been told so many different things about glues and adhesives...I am new to atc's and have been told to NOT use glue sticks, but liquid glues make the papers wrinkle when collaging. Any more input, anyone?? I would like to know my alternatives as well...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lthykeson

"We cast our lives upon the winds of chance and wonder if we will ever dance". - Laura Thykeson
ScraPerfect

Happier Printing with The Perfect Printing Pouch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011 09:24:12 PM »

"BEST GLUE EVER" (Yes, that's actually the name)! It dries fast and clear, has a very fine tip. You can make your own adhesive dots. It works for paper (no wrinkles) and metal, plastic, wood..all kinds of embellishments, for foil and glitter. Just use less than you think you need. Watch the videos for tips and tricks and all sorts of cool things you can do with this glue: Youtube.com/scraperfect
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier Printing with The Perfect Printing Pouch!
ShayBug
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011 08:13:15 AM »

its as simple as reading labels. there is so many embellishments, and tools we can use for scrapbooking and bringing it to a whole new level. i generally use acid free glue sticks for paper to paper and tacky glue if any thing else will be glued to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Grunge Inspired Hairstyles
How to Create a Braided Bun
Blondes Vs. Brunettes
Runway Hair Curling Tips
How to Make a Modern French Twist Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...