A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Noel Fielding 3-Layer T-Shirt (Slightly Picture Heavy)  (Read 3562 times)
Tags for this thread: mighty_boosh , tv , multi_layer_stencil  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 26, 2008 12:24:23 PM »

Well, after a long love affair with photo-emulsion silkscreening, I have realized that if I really and truly want to make t-shirts and make a lot of them, that method just isn't feasible. It may look super professional, but it's extremely time consuming, especially for someone like me who has low motivation for it and usually employs her father to help so when I find time to ask for it, the whole thing ends up taking about a week. Not good. Plus I wait forever between doing screens (again, the process wears me down), so my emulsion gets wasted as it only lasts so long...

But then I come to Craftster and hear about the wonder that is freezer paper! I had a blank t-shirt lying around for a silkscreen I never got around to doing, so as soon as I heard about freezer paper I basically could not wait to try it out, and ran out to get some so I could make my first design.

Now, most people would probably start simple, or at least somewhat simple (say, one color, moderate cutting, no islands) but I was just so impatient that I simply could NOT go that route! For me, 3 layers and many, many islands was all that would do. I know, seeing as this was my first stencil I went a bit crazy. >_< That's just how I roll.

Anyway, here is the result!

As you can see, I made some accidental smudges...oops! I actually think the one at the bottom kind of gives it a nice effect, actually...lol!

I'm essentially obsessed with Noel Fielding from the Mighty Boosh, so I HAD to make a shirt of him. I found this photo from the BBC:

Turned it into this with Paint Shop Pro:

And then separated it into my 3 colors, white, grey, and black, respectively:

Now, something I did differently from most tutorials I've read was instead of cutting out first and then ironing, I figured it would be much easier due to the amount of islands I had to iron first and then cut out. I knew there would be a risk of damaging the fabric, but I made sure I had a really sharp X-acto and pressed down very carefully, and it worked beautifully! The freezer paper still came up at times, but after the first layer of paint the knife made slight cuts in the paint and I was able to use those as a guide to repositioning and I just ironed it again. I really wanted to use my silkscreen to apply the paint for a thin, even coat, but the holes in the fabric I had were too small so the paint didn't come through and I had to paint it by hand. Next time though, I'm buying new fabric so I can silkscreen it! I think it will come out a lot better. This one is much too thick, and I'm afraid it's going to crack big time when I wash it. Oh well!

Anyway, this was super fun and I'm so so proud of the results. Thanks for looking, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I say yes to ATC trades!

I hang out in: Knitting, Crochet, Fiber Arts, and the Swap Board!
craftymojito
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008 12:33:28 PM »

This is genius! Its so detailed.  Props to you! lol I am also quite a big fan of the Boosh and Mr. fielding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HardCandy
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008 04:56:20 PM »

the stencil itself looks great, i personally think it would look better on a smaller background but good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008 04:57:44 PM »

Yeah, it looks kind of small, but when I have it on it actually doesn't look too bad. I actually thought about doing it bigger but I'm glad now that I didn't because the ink is so thick, if it had been much bigger there would have been serious flexibility issues!

Thanks for the feedback guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I say yes to ATC trades!

I hang out in: Knitting, Crochet, Fiber Arts, and the Swap Board!
alwaysblushing

Alonzi Alonzo!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008 12:06:15 PM »

That's brilliant! Though anything with Noel on it automatically becomes a favorite of mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Museum Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...