A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: broke as heck, ramen recipes?  (Read 7093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bastelmutti
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008 12:05:26 PM »

I agree with the others about rice, beans, noodles, potatoes, etc. We eat the following two meals about once a week each:

World's easiest tomato sauce recipe - simmer a lg. can of crushed tomatoes with a whole peeled onion (I cut it in half) for about 10 minutes. Any more time, and it will be bitter. Finish with salt, pepper and butter. You can even leave out the butter or get fancy with basil and oregano if you want. Sounds strange, but it's great. Serve with pasta. If you buy Barilla Plus (about $2.39 per box, less on sale), it's even got protein in it.

Although home-cooked dried beans are cheaper, even a can of beans can be had for $0.69 or so - add some tortillas and whatever cheese or toppings you might have on hand for an inexpensive meal.

Eggs are also a cheap source of protein. The less processed food you eat, the more you can stretch your budget. Buy fruit and vegetables in season and freeze anything you can't use up right away.

This site might also provide some inspiration:
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index.htm
All of the recipes are not my style necessarily, but she's got good ideas in there + some emergency budget menus for $45/wk. and $70/wk. for a family of 4 - so it can be done!

Good luck and let us know what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008 03:17:19 PM »

Adding frozen veggies to ramen was always my favorite...I lived on that weeks at a time.

Also, the cheap-y shells and white cheddar with a (drained) can of peas and a (drained) can of tuna goes a really long way.  We fed four people (or me, four times) on that more than once.  Also, if you get a package of ground turkey (cheaper than beef), some cans of beans, corn, or other veggies of your choice, a small can of tomato sauce (actual tomato sauce, not spaghetti sauce) and some McCormick's chili seasoning, all that cooked down together (brown the meat first) will last one person more than a week of dinners.  I still do this, in my slow cooker.  I can usually squeeze six meals out of this, for less than $5.  I use two kinds of beans, though.  A slightly more expensive, but a lot more filling, is chicken and rice.  If you can catch boneless skinless chicken on sale (thighs are cheapest), and let it cook in the slow cooker with two cans of chicken gravy, and two cans of cream of chicken soup with herbs, you can serve it over rice, and it's unbelievably filling.  This, too, will last all week (or longer; if you shred the chicken after it's cooked, it tends to last longer...you can portion it better).  My goal, when it comes to cheap meal planning, is to be able to spend no more than $10 on a meal that will feed at least one of us all week.

Oh, also, cottage cheese is relatively cheap, very yummy, and unbelievably filling for breakfast, if you like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008 07:30:40 PM »

Leaving out the seasoning packet cuts down on a lot of the bad stuff in ramen; just throw the packet away!  Then you can use the noodles in pretty much anything---make a cheap veggie stirfry, cook them with some scrambled eggs, throw on some cheap tomato sauce or jarred alfredo...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
Keriw24
Brown Thumb Gardener

Imafundork & Keriw24 - Sisters 1st, Friends 4Ever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008 07:32:54 PM »

I used to buy ramen by the case when I was a poor student, between that and white cheddar no-name mac and cheese....I survived as a student.  I used to add tuna to everything.

My fav recipe was
mac and cheese (made as per the box...or just with water when butter was a luxury item)
can of mushroom soup
tuna

Mix it up - throw it in a oven proof dish and voila....instant tuna casserole Cheesy

When I was little one of my favorite meals my mom would cook would be "macaroni and cheese, tuna fish, and peas" - a bit wordy but that's what we called it and I loved it!  She would make two boxes of cheap mac & cheese adding peas to the pasta while boiling.  Then she would drain that and put the milk, cheese powder, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a can of tuna.  Delish and definitley not healthy! Ahh... memories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Luck of the Irish Round 2 Send-outs 3/3
Bento Swap Round 3 Send-outs 3/1
crazy wazy
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008 10:06:38 PM »

I love instant ramen! Although I agree, it's not very healthy so I eat it occasionally.

Along with the potato idea, you can always make gnocchi! (Potato based pasta). I think it's just cooked potato mashed and mixed with some flour. You can also relieve stress by pounding the potato.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When life throws you lemons, throw them back and demand oranges!
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008 07:43:22 AM »

Yup, potatoes, eggs, and chickpeas are definitely on my top list of filling, cheap, yummy foods.  You can just soak a whole pot of chickpeas and leave it in the fridge for the week.  They're great to eat plain or to toss into anything for some added 'meatiness.'

I splurge a little on sesame oil (nothing fancy, just a big tin of it), olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and black peppercorns.  A little bit of each goes a really long way, and it makes even the simplest potato or hard boiled egg taste like it was cooked in a professional kitchen. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.bl ogspot.com
bobbingblondie

these ones are small, those ones are far away.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008 01:48:31 PM »

i like to make up a thing of noodles with a chicken stock cube, sprinkle in a teaspoon of chilli powder, whatever other herbs i have around, lots of ground black pepper, cut up hot dogs into little bits and add veggies of some kind (normally mushrooms, cos i loooove mushrooms) either fresh or frozen.  the end result is a fairly substantial spicy soup like dish which i can eat for days.  its so easy and cheap, both of which are great for a post grad student with little time and money!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MizMosa
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008 07:31:18 AM »

I second (third? fourth?) the rice and beans!

I like to use this recipe (with a few alterations) to make spanish rice:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spanish-Rice-II/Detail.aspx

I cut back a little on the oil and use chicken broth instead of water.  This goes well with beans (I saute a little onion and garlic first, and then add a drained can of pinto or kidney beans and just let them heat through).  It re-heats well, is super filling, and feeds me for 3 or 4 lunches.

I read http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/ pretty much daily.  She has lots of  recipes and tips on saving money on food.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

momma2many
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008 06:34:08 PM »

In Korea the ramen is spicy and untill walmart started carrying the nong shim raman I would take the beef raman cook as usual throw some red pepper in and top with cheese.  mmmm good wont touch the regular stuff anymore. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkybunnies

every little soul must shine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008 05:42:07 PM »

opheliapoe - I used to eat a ton of that stir-fry with fako crab. it is SO good! Also, if you can get a handful of nuts (cashew or pistashio) it is pure heaven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Herb Rubbed Pork Chops with Fire Roasted Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Mustard Encrusted Salmon with Tomato and Onion Salad
Learn how to Tailgate - Pork Cole Slaw and Baked Beans
Learn how to Make Delicious Tailgating Recipes
Learn how to use the Tailgating Tool Box
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...