A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,718
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buying a camera to photograph jewelry  (Read 1379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2008 09:01:24 PM »

Hi all,

My camera broke and I need a new one, for posting on Craftster, eBay, Etsy etc.  I'm looking at the $200-ish range, point and shoot type, and I'm wondering if there's something better out there than another Canon SD (I had a SD450). 

So does anyone have any recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer!
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008 03:33:52 AM »

I upgraded from a 3.3mp to a 7.1mp in February.  I have a Fuji FinePix S700.  I was able to get it at Walmart for a lower price than I could find anywhere online.  It was $200 and is very easy to use along with taking great pictures.  The price and the online reviews were the things that helped me make my decision.  The other thing I really like about is it takes 4 AA batteries.  If I forget to charge my batteries I can easily pick up spares anywhere and not have to spend an arm and a leg.  I havent purchased any extra lenses yet but may consider doing it next year.  My main reason for the camera was for beads and jewelry.  I have taken a few live shots with it and feel fairly confident with it for those type also.  For my budget it was the best and most camera for the money.  Feel free to send me a private message if you have any specific questions about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
puamelia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008 11:54:12 AM »

Thanks SH for the great tips - I'll go down and play with one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer!
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008 07:59:20 AM »

sony cybershots are also pretty good, i use one for the majority of my photos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008 11:35:00 AM »

Thanks cupcakeaccessories!  I still haven't bought one yet and will go down and try out the sony cybershot too. 

As I look around I notice that the memory cards differ from camera to camera. I wonder if that should be a consideration since I already have a few SD cards...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer!
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008 04:30:46 PM »

Thats a very good question/point about memory cards.  Some require a minimum of 1GB.  Make sure you check the requirements on any camera for card size and type.  Not all are interchangeble.  With memory cards becoming more and more less expensive I would not be too concerned with getting a camera that would fit the cards you already have.  More important factors are MP, ease of use, customer satisfaction/durability, required functions for you needs and cost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Circlesofstone
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008 05:22:28 AM »

I use a Canon Powershot. Don't forget to check what kind of batteries the camera will need. Do they use regular AA or do you have to buy more expensive ones? Can you find them anywhere, or do you need to go to a specialty camera shop for them? Also the most important feature would be a Macro mode, you will need that to take close up pics of your jewelry. Many cameras would probably fit these features, just find one in your price range.

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008 12:56:04 PM »

Good points All, thank you very much!!  I'm pretty good at charging my things like phone and camera.  With the last one I had 2 lithium ion batteries and kept one in the charger while I used the other.  Then if I went off somewhere like a trip I'd have a spare to bring along. 

I was also told in addition to the macro that for jewelry especially gems and shiny things you need to be able to adjust the white balance so you don't get that ugly yellow cast to your pics, especially if you aren't able to photograph out in the sun or don't have access to proper types of lightbulbs that have the correct light spectrum...

One camera I was looking at, really cheap ($150 at costco, comes with 1GB XD card and case) is the Olympus 320.  Super light, 1/2 inch thick, 2.7 inch screen, LI battery, charger, white balance, macro, lots of other shot styles I may never use.... a little slower shot reaction than my old canon tho, but for $100 less this may be a good option, since upgrading in a few years due to technology upgrades is most likely.  What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer!
Fun2Create
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008 06:14:40 PM »

OMG! I have a FugiFilm S700 also and LOVE it! It has a new "super" marco setting for very very close up photos. I paid $150 at Walmart for mine. As with all cameras... read your manual and understand your camera.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mess-Free Pancakes
How to Make Instant Ice Cream
How to Make Your Own Honeycomb
How to Make Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Maker
Crispy Fig Dessert Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...