A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gerbil 'ant farm' structure?  (Read 1858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FiberDogs
« on: May 25, 2008 07:37:01 PM »

I am thinking of an 'ant-farm' structure wide and tall, but not very deep. Six or eight inches maybe. I could have a pro make a metal frame, and fit it with clear Plexiglass and a sturdy lid with a lock, 'cause my kitties are smart so the hamster could be safe, but seen. I could put in a wheel, lots of levels, a box in one or two places for darkness and privacy. I was thinking the plexi could slide out of the metal frame for easy cleaning.

General comments?
 Huh
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008 04:34:03 PM by saragoodman3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thief
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008 08:02:30 PM »

Gerbils should never be kept singly, they are highly social. If you want to watch something play and climb around and have fun, gerbils are the way to go. Hamsters are nocturnal and don't move much in the day.
Please research proper care for whatever animal you choose and please adopt.
The ant-farm-type cage sounds great, the bigger the better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Amy
[and Abbey, Bella, Natasha, Milo, Ferdie, Olive, Sophie-Mo, Laika and Winston]

I make snuggly things for snuggly beasts.
etsy: http://silverbeatshop.etsy.com
blog: http://tashastails.blogspot.com
crogers4
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008 07:26:07 PM »

I always thought gerbils were nicer than hamsters. you should have two so they can entertain each other and as  bonus, they'll be way more fun to watch than just one moping around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do.
cherryrose
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008 03:44:34 AM »

Hamsters can't be kept in pairs, they are solitaire animals and will harm or kill each other if you keep them together. The roborovski hamster can be kept in groups but they can't be made as tame as other hamster species.
I don't know anything about gerbils, but I have a hamster myself and she's really tame, sweet and fun to watch.
My hamster awakes at about 20.30u. and goes to sleep at about 07.00.
They sleep the rest of the day. That's something to keep in mind.  But they are real fun animals!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
FiberDogs
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008 07:37:31 PM »

What ever new furry friend i get, I'll research fully before I bring them home. thanks for the advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Muffin
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008 10:52:06 AM »

Maze type cages aren't really ideal, because they get pee all over and it can be very hard to clean! Wire cages for hamsters are better because the amonia in their urine builds up really quickly, but gerbils don't pee so much (they're from the desert) so glass tanks are such a problem with them (they're actually better, because gerbils CHEW).

I personally don't really like the idea of getting a pet hamster/gerbil as entertainment. Maybe a tank of fish would be better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sillybowtie
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008 08:35:04 AM »

Make sure whatever cage you get that you can clean easy. I had a really big aquarium for my gerbil's and it was so hard to carry it to the bathroom to clean it. Luckily I trained them to use a litter box so I did not have to change the shaving as often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...