A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Babydoll Dress and Wide, Fitted Belt w/Dress tutorial (Pic Heavy)  (Read 5407 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graverobbergirl
« on: May 25, 2008 06:58:26 PM »

Im not really up on whats in fashion, but I feel like this baggy, gathered style was/is more common as of late. Anyway, I just felt like making something different and had this lovely fabric kicking around.

Tutorial:

1. Draft collar piece. Measure width of shoulders and make note. Measure length from top of shoulder (if wearing a t-shirt, use the seam there) to where you'd like the bottom of the collar to sit. Make note of measurement. Fold piece of paper (I use brown packaging paper) in half. Draw rectangle with half of width measurement and length (shoulder to scoop). Decide how thick/wide you would like the collar to be. (I chose 2" finished). Add 1/2" for seam allowances. (With fold to left side) Measure in from top right hand corner desired width and mark. Do the same from bottom left hand corner. Sketch appealing curve connecting marks. With ruler/measuring tape, mark out desired width at various points along curve. Connect these to get the bottom of the collar.

Cut out. Unfold.

2. Cut Pieces (about 2 1/2 yds of fabric and 1 yd of contrast, which also allowed enough for the belt):

Dress Fabric- With selvages together, mark desired length (I did one yard). Cut. Repeat (for back). The fabric I used was 45" wide.

It may seem like excessive amounts of material, but that is what gives the "gathered" effect. Trim off selvages if they interfere with print.

Mark and cut piece for sleeve (I used 8 1/2" for sleeve length, allowing for seam and hem). Cut the 45" wide piece in half so you have two sleeve pieces.

Cut four pieces out of contrast for collar and facing using drafted pattern.

Also cut two pieces of interfacing using collar pattern.

3. Mark armhole length (measure from top of shoulder to underarm, allowing some leeway for give) measuring from "top" of front and back pieces. With right sides together, sew side seams stopping at mark. Press seams open.

4. Baste across top of front and back pieces (separately). These will be gathering stitches.

5. Iron interfacing to collar pieces (2).

With right sides together, sew pieces together at shoulder seams. Press open.

6. With right sides together attach bottom of collar to top of dress, overlapping front and back pieces at shoulder seams of collar, and gathering basting stitches to fit.

Sew. Press seam up (towards collar).

7. Sew collar facing same as collar. Press 1/4" under along bottom.

With right sides together, stitch upper edges of collar and collar facing together. Press facing to inside.

8. On outside of garment, stitch in the ditch along collar, catching facing on inside. Press collar flat.

9. Baste upper edges of sleeves. Sew side seams. Press open.

Finish lower edges of sleeves (press up 1/4" or so and then fold edge under to form "narrow hem" while stitching close to edge...or zigzag stitch, etc.)

10. With right sides together, attach sleeves to armholes, gathering basting stitched to fit (or to taste-I prefer to place the gathers on the shoulder). Stitch. Stitch again 1/4" away from first line of stitching. Press seams towards sleeves.

11. Hem bottom of dress to desired length.

Be sad because of frumpiness, then

12. Find belt or make one. (I used the "waist cinch belt" from McCall's M4492, minus the gathered fabric, and with hand sewn eyelets because they're easier than trying to locate real ones, not to mention cheaper...)

Fashion Shots (aka I Am A Dork)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008 07:37:43 PM »

so cute Smiley thanks for the tute ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
razziesbaby
If life gives you lemons...throws them bitches back!

what would you do for a Klondite bar???

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008 08:07:17 PM »

I am like so lovin this!!!!!!!! is si so cute i wuill be making this sometime soon!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A woman's work is never done!!
annigirl22
Kickin Ass since '89

ninja! or something like that...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008 09:49:45 PM »

I love it. It looks really comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
-Richard Bach

feel free to stalk me:
http://pinterest.com/annigirl22/
http://wists.com/annigirl22

I <3 personal swaps, PM me! Wink
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008 11:40:38 AM »

This is beautyful! Thanks a lot for the tute, very inspering!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
sprinklez
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008 11:48:14 AM »

That looks great! Wow!

Now I know what to do next time I find a super frumpy dress at a thriftstore. I'm always disappointed when the fabric is awesome but the cut is all wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Supplementary Lighting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Photographing Black and White Images
How to Capture a Car in Motion
Camera Settings For Panoramic Stitching
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...