A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ringmaster costume help  (Read 6628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tclar014
« on: May 25, 2008 04:22:20 PM »

So I've been thinking about my costume for this year for a while now and a few months ago I decided I would be a ringmaster.
I'm obv not going to buy the costume, they're all 'sexy ringmaster' (read: naked) and I don't want to waste my sewing abilities.
So I found myself a fantastic pattern:
http://simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3685
I'm pretty happy with it, I don't like the bell sleeves or the corset-type front closure. I can fix the sleeves no problem, I just don't know what to do about the front.
I was thinking maybe something like this (check my MS paint skills)

So I'm thinking gold buttons with a chain linking them.
Does such a thing exist? Would it even work? Any other suggestions?

The deciding factor between this costume and my other options was the fact that I get a top hat AND whip. SO excited! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 12:42:41 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008 09:50:04 AM »

It appears to me that instead of adding grommets and doing the corset-look fastening for the jacket, you could definitely just add some nice gold buttons and get some chain from a craft store. I definitely know the look you are going for, I don't know the term for it though.

And as a side note, you might want to pin the jacket to the underlayer to keep it in place, so the chains stay loose and hang in the curved way you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
tclar014
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008 06:38:37 PM »

And as a side note, you might want to pin the jacket to the underlayer to keep it in place, so the chains stay loose and hang in the curved way you want.

Oh man I probably wouldn't have even thought of that and just been upset with my non-curvy chains. Thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008 10:36:29 PM »

I know you probably won't go with this idea, but when I think of fremale ringleader I think of fishnets, heels, a glittery leotard, a red coat with tails, a top hat, and a whip. Being in gymnastics and dance as a child a leotard doesn't phase me like it might other people, though, especially is you wear dance tights under your fishnets.

You could go with the first outfit from this shoot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6vi9b7ERzg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tclar014
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008 07:42:15 AM »

Good idea! Halloween was invented for fishnets!!!
I'm thinking I'll make just the coat and vest form the pattern and wear some high-waisted black shorts, high-heeled boots, top hat, and fishnets. And obviously carry the whip. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008 01:08:48 PM »

So watching VH1's I love the new millennium, I remembered that Panic! at the disco has a ringleader.

Also, I'm pretty inspired to have a freakshow themed party. I want to be the contortionist and my roommate can be the ringleader Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayandhearts
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008 03:11:00 PM »

ok so first of all ive used that pattern and im just warning you the jacket sleeves tend to fit wierd and are very stiff.

2nd of all you have inspired me now i have to decide on my theme for my halloween party. hmmmmm twisted fairytale or twisted carnival
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tclar014
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008 02:38:49 PM »

Aw I gave up and decided to go as an Ewok because the sleeves were being all weird. I'll probably try the pattern again next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ellen Marmur Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Clinton Kelly Reveals His Favorite Movie
The Sweet Far Thing Book Trailer
Brian Billick Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Andrew Clements Talks About Writing The Report Card
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...