A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is this plaster of paris safe for my kid???  (Read 8138 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katiekaboom
« on: May 25, 2008 10:59:21 AM »

I picked this brand new box of plaster of paris up at the thrift store the other day. I just read the back of it and although it says that hand prints can be made with it it
also says that:

"WARNING: When mixed with water plaster hardens and becomes hot. Do not submerge any body parts into the plaster as severe burns may result. When plaster is being mixed, dust may cause irritation to eyes, nose, throat or upper respiratory system. If eye contact occurs, flush particles from eye with water. Do not take internally. Call a physician immediate if ingested. Children should not use this product except under adult supervision. Warning: This product contains crystalline silica, known to the state of California to cause cancer."

I remember using plaster of paris as a kid to make handprint molds but this has kind of got me shook up about using it. Would they suggest that you could use it to for hand prints if it was going to burn? Maybe they mean submerging for a long period of time? THOUGHTS? Thanks!

I also found this website talking about it. I do not think that the guy used it but he too found it ironic that they would say you could use it for handprints although it may burn etc.  (Scroll down to see it)
http://www.ryanbyrd.net/rambleon/category/warning/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My heart beats outside my chest. He sleeps in a Spongebob Bed.
dragonslair
Crafting another baby...... Due Jan. 6th, 2011

Goth and loving it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008 11:19:08 AM »

Remember that companies have to print even the stupidest warnings to protect from law suits.  I have used this many times with the kids without any problems.  In school we used it and had to sit with our hands in it until it dried with no problem.  But then again with the way parents are about lawsuits these days even cribs come with a warning sticker that says do not leave child unattended.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WILL SWAP for CLOTH diapers.........

MY LJ
http://crochet-crazy.livejournal.com

My wists
www.wists.com/dragonslair
cinnamon teal
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008 11:37:14 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat.  It just gets warm.  And if your kids have their hands on top of it, they can always remove them if it becomes uncomfortable. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekaboom
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008 11:41:12 AM »

Thanks for replying. I figured it was just precautionary but I just wanted to make sure. Off to make handprints for grandma!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My heart beats outside my chest. He sleeps in a Spongebob Bed.
OkieMist
A choice of words is a choice of worlds - Richard Lederer

Yay for today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008 01:41:26 PM »

If you do have any problems at all with this in their eyes or causing any problems at all don't forget you can call the toll free number for Poison Control  - 1-800-222-1222 is the national number and should send you to your nearest Poison Control Center for help.
Hope ya'll have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The important work of moving the world forward does not wait to be done by perfect men. -george eliot
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008 03:22:29 PM »

I think the key word is 'submerge' - so long as your kids are pressing their hands in and immediately washing it should be no problem. 

I learned from my neighbor that concrete is dangerous that way too (long before this week's Grey's Anatomy episode Smiley ) but that didn't stop celebs from casting just about every body part at Graumann's Chinese.

The key is use it then clean hands and stuff immediately.  That is the adult supervision part because left to their own resources heaven knows what kids would do with it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008 07:52:20 AM »

Breathing the fine powdered plaster before hand is more of a hazard that the heat as it hardens. It doesn't get hot right away either.

If you use cold water to mix up the plaster, it'll remain cool long enough to get a good set on the hand prints. it'll warm slowly & just when it reaches "hot" it'll start cooling again as the chemical process is complete. I've had parts of my body cast for art projects, it's not so bad for an adult. Children are more sensitive to heat & cold in this situation though & won't be patient enough to tolerate full body casting anyway.

Back to the powder, it is very fine. I've seen a big bag dumped into a bin elicit an asthmatic reaction in an adult. It was also a small closed room & she had Asthma to begin with. Outside & don't dump it is a good plan, pour slowly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blue1

Crafty Xicanista

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008 05:00:54 PM »

I second the concern with breathing in the plaster, it really is bad for your lungs, at least that's my art teacher talking.  If you're really concerned, and handprints are the goal, then you could do reverse handprints in play dough. You can search for the directions on here but it's fairly simple, make a ring out of cardboard, put play dough inside (flattened), press hand, and then pour in plaster. It comes out really cool and you can see all the grooves and lines in the print. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Avoiding Frizzy Hair
How To Use Hot Rollers
How to Get the Hottest Hair Trends in Hollywood
How to Style Short Hair Like Emma Watson
How to Get Smooth Hair in the Summer Heat
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...