A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: t shirt dress, with tutorial  (Read 6638 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimmibram
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016 10:49:05 PM »

Wow what a cool idea and the dress looks awesome on you!! And the tutorial you have shared makes it look all so easy. I will try this one for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MoanAhhhLisa
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016 07:58:54 PM »

This is a really great idea and a technique I have used on a sweatshirt, front zip hoodie once. I have a couple tips for anyone interested.

1. Often when you lay a t-shirt flat it doesn't want to lay flat due to a manufactured in wonky-ness. To remedy this lay it as flat as you can get it then cut all the way up both side where a side seam would be including the sleeves. Now you have it attached only at the neck and the front and back can be laid perfectly flat to each other and as you may notice with a wonky, off centre shirt, the two pieces will not match exactly. But, you will be able to flatten them perfectly and get a good, even cut.

2. Panty Elastic, the lacy decorative kind, makes a really great edging for t shirt garments unless you want the rough edge look. Let's say you took a bit too much at the neck and it sags down too far (showing too much cleavage?) Panty elastic can be sewn on very easily to the cut neck edge of the shirt/dress by the flat edge of the lace leaving the decorative edge to show. Be careful not to pull on the shirt edge or the elastic. Lay both flat and sew a few inches to see how it lays. You may have to tug just a tad on the elastic. Sew your few inches with a simple zig-zag stitch then when you have the tightness you are comfortable with change to the triple zig-zag. It's more durable and allows for more stretch. The regular zig-zag is way easier to rip out if you need to re-do that few inches.
The panty elastic looks really good on the edges of the sleeves as well. Hopefully you can get it at one of the discount bulk fabric places like SAS for cheap. I got a bunch of whole rolls really cheap.

Didn't mean to hijack your post... I just like to share tips based on my experiences

Again... beautiful job!
Love the simplicity of it

MaxineBrandywine
(my old profile)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: The Roaming Gnome
@Home This Weekend: Welcoming Door Decor
Trim the Tree: Crafty Ornaments for the Holiday Season

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...