A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two cute dresses from thrift store finds <33 (Also, need HELP!! advice pls)  (Read 2472 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

casmuffin
« on: August 09, 2009 08:14:09 PM »

Hello all! I post here.. rarely. I finally found time this summer to go to my local savers and found some really cute things (well more like two cute things) and here is what I did with them! (P.S. Sorry for crappy webcam pics, I'm in my dorm and i just moved in and forgot my camera).

Here's the first dress I made. I don't have any before pics but this was a basic gray knit dress that I resized, made shorter, and added some elastic for the babydoll look. This one was easy.

The next one i'm having more trouble with. Before: An XXL Cowl neck purple knit top. I LOVED the cowl neck, but it'd feel too dressed up for me, so I had to get rid of it.

After: A cute little purple dress! (belt is not made by me, lawl.)

And here's where I need help: I'm struggling with the neckline. I attempted a "bias-tape" thing but realized that doesn't work with a knit fabric.. so any ideas/suggestions on how I can fix this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brittles
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009 08:57:11 PM »

I think to fix the neck on the second dress all you would have to do is take off the piece you currently have sewn on and cut maybe two inches off of it then when you're sewing it onto the neckline stretch it out, while keeping the neckline of the dress unstreched.

Both dress fit you great! They really suit your shape Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omgmarissa
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009 09:05:08 PM »

cute dresses! for the neckline, i would cut a strip of jersey, the stretchy direction, and fold it in half and sew it to the neckline while stretching the strip. it will look something like a thinner version of the normal necklines on tshirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009 10:04:07 PM »

The dresses look lovely. I second omgmarissa about the neckline. You can do a "bias strip" edge with knit fabric, just don't cut the strip on the bias. Cut the strip straight so it stretches in the long direction and sew it on as you would bias binding, except stretch it somewhat as you sew (but don't stretch the neckline, as mentioned already).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009 10:09:32 PM »

Cute, I love the first dress Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_naked_doll
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009 05:41:44 PM »

i used to have this exact same problem when making tee shirts! eventually I learned, fixing it in the same way as these loverly people already suggested. Cute dresses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm told my Native American name would be Giggles-With-Fervor.

http://megsraggededge.etsy.com

BLOG ! http://megsraggededge.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Shadow Boxes - Dreamweaver
How to Create a Glossy Textured X - Adobe Photoshop
How to Tween - Adobe Flash CS3
How to Create a Digital Firework Part 2/2 - Adobe After Effects
How to use the Displacement Filter - Adobe Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...