A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy Question  (Read 843 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimmy_sue05
« on: May 23, 2008 08:38:45 PM »

So my roommate makes beautiful jewelry, so I suggested that she start an Etsy store. Our main question is how much we should price them at. Any other advice about Etsy would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks

P.S. below are some pics of one of her creations.

and some of me wearing it.

Thanks in advance Kimmy and Kristi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Le-Chat
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008 11:43:41 PM »

Browse around Etsy to see how comparable pieces are priced!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my t-2-t adventures and my own ecclectic way of recycling:
http://trashcollector.blogspot.com

Buy eco-friendly in my Etsy Shop:
http://LeChatCrochet.etsy.com
firzenma

Do you want furi kuri?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008 09:45:44 AM »

Browse around Etsy to see how comparable pieces are priced!

I'd do the same thing they suggested.  also take into consideration just how hard they are to make if it's time consuming and requires effor then charge more, also has anyone asked her where she's gotten it?  If other people are interested that have seen it firsthand the etsy shoppers should be too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

700 and growing.....
mom2blu
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008 05:39:05 PM »

I'm copying this from another post I JUST made. I don't feel like repeating myself. lol:

If i've said it once I've said it a hundred times:

It IS NOT about how much people will pay, but how much you need to charge. If a bunch of people say they will pay a dollar, would you actually charge a dollar?? A good formula I suggest is:

(Materials x 3) +  labor = wholesale
wholesale x 2 = retail

Either keep track of your time closely or double/triple/time a million your estimate.  Decide how much you want (or need) to make an hour, and how long it takes to make one.

undercharging not just screws you, but the entire craft business for everyone

ALWAYS charge for your labor. Any formular that says materials x whatever = retail DON"T use. They are really outdated (IMO) and do not equate to a craft business, they translate to a lowly paid hobby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
kimmy_sue05
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008 06:46:51 AM »

thanks for all of your advice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008 08:10:38 PM »

I'm copying this from another post I JUST made. I don't feel like repeating myself. lol:

If i've said it once I've said it a hundred times:

It IS NOT about how much people will pay, but how much you need to charge. If a bunch of people say they will pay a dollar, would you actually charge a dollar?? A good formula I suggest is:

(Materials x 3) +  labor = wholesale
wholesale x 2 = retail

Either keep track of your time closely or double/triple/time a million your estimate.  Decide how much you want (or need) to make an hour, and how long it takes to make one.

undercharging not just screws you, but the entire craft business for everyone

ALWAYS charge for your labor. Any formular that says materials x whatever = retail DON"T use. They are really outdated (IMO) and do not equate to a craft business, they translate to a lowly paid hobby.

While I fully agree with the need to cover your costs including labour, and the problems that undercharging causes for skilled crafters  I have to disagree and say that you must ALWAYS consider your market. Who are your (potential) customers? What level of skill, design, quality and materials are they looking for and how much are they willing to pay for it.

If the selling price you need to make (to cover your costs and labour) is higher than the price people are willing to pay then there is absolutely no point in trying to sell it.

You need to either improve your skills, lower your own costs or find a different market.

Hand made jewellery is a very competitive market especially on etsy.

To make a go of it you must have a unique selling point be it original designs, excellent craftsmanship, top notch materials or bargain prices and all that needs to be backed up with great photographs and descriptions etc.

If your friend has the determination to face all the hurdles to find her buyers then she can succeed, if not maybe she isn't ready to sell her creations yet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008 08:12:44 PM by kitschkitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Understanding Aspect Ratio for Printing
Windmill Post Processing
Color Range in Photoshop
How to Use Fit Image in Photoshop
Removing Pimples and Wrinkles in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Love Your Mother
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Button Flowers
Meatless Monday: Grilled Apples and Minted Pears

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...