A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Iris folding with tute... kind of - pic heavy  (Read 3516 times)
Tags for this thread: origami , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 23, 2008 06:51:07 AM »

Well you asked for it, and I finally got off my bum and did this for you Grin

Isnt she pretty? I make these into cards or wall hangings, I even know someone who made a quilt from one! The look hard but trust me, even your kids could do this one, provided they are allowed to play with scissors

all you need is a template (the white paper) light card (the blue) and assorted papers (you can use origami paper or newspaper, magazine pages or what ever, even material if you wanted) stickytape and scissors

Next transfer the image to the card, you can trace or what ever you want to do, put the image on the BACK of the card and remember whatever you design will be on the REVERSE, I learnt this the hard way when I first learnt Embarrassed

Cut the image out, you can use the scissors or a scalpel or craft knife(use a chopping block and please be careful if using a knife)

Ok so tape the pattern to the card do you can see the lines - put the tape on the back of the card. Cut the paper into strips (the 5/4 of the width of the line gaps, normally 1.5cm will work)

Ok here you will see the strips of paper and the key, this pattern uses 3 different colours so I assigned each group a colour, if you can remember what number uses what colour good on you, but I would suggest making a key like I have

see what I mean? alot of numbers the remember

ok so heres your strip of paper, now if you put it into the iris fold just like that it wont look classy and hard (trust me, its not hard)

so fold the edge over, if your strips are 1.5cm fold .5cm over

and so we start, colour one goes over number one, easy really

so for each number cut the strip to size (tape one end, work out how much needed then cut and tape other end) follow the kep for the numbers and colours

Make sure to stay with the key and follow the numbers, dont just go and fill in all the pinks then the purples or else it wont look right. You go 1 then 2 then 3 then four etc

just look at that! I go through alot of sticky tape here  Cheesy

just proof Im following the key  Cheesy

so no folding actually needed, just tape then cut thr strips to size, starting to get close to being finished

keep going until you hit the spot in the middle, now here you can put holographic paper or what ever you want, maybe even keep going with the iris folding

I chose to put a red in the middle. Now tape that down and make sure everything is secure

Tadaa! I chose not to add the arm and as you can see the completed image is in REVERSE to the original

Hope that made sence to everyone, if not let me know what I can do to fix that and make it easier and Ill try

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008 07:00:47 AM »

Wow!
What a tutorial, that's great--you must be a very patient person, and a kind one....  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008 07:51:19 AM »

did you find the pattern or just make up your own?

i've never seen anything like this before and it's super cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008 08:48:00 AM »

I just did an Iris Folding Class for my teens at the library.  Fun and totally easy.

Here's where I got my patterns (and I think the original poster got hers there, too)

http://www.irisfolding.circleofcrafters.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008 08:54:42 AM »

Ingenious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008 04:00:33 PM »

Yep acajjou thats where I got mine from  Cheesy they are fun and super easy to make. Plus they look so fancy when done  Wink Ive been known to make cards with them and put a few different ones on the same card.
Im also in the process of drafting my own, so when I get around to finishing them (my ufo pile is almost taller than me  Roll Eyes Grin) Ill post them.
Id love to see everyones different takes, I can send you some patterns but they will be for personal use only, not to sell
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Conrad Joins Us for a Quick Beauty Gossip
How To Get A Defined Nude Lip
How To Make Lipstick Last All Day
Getting Rid Of Puffiness And Circles Under The Eyes
How To Protect And Youthen Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...