A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: edamame?  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2008 04:38:20 PM »

ok, so what is it?  I keep seeing it places and hearing about it, but I've never tried it.  I know it's a type of soy bean, but how do you cook/use it?  Is it supposed to be mushy or crunchy?  I've seen both fresh and frozen at the store.  What is the difference in preperation of fresh vs frozen?  What does it taste like?  Is it more bean like or nut like?  I've had salted soy nuts, and I liked them, but they didn't look anything like edamame.  Can anyone clue me in?  could I ask more questions in this post?  could I!? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008 07:24:57 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edamame
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008 07:50:24 PM »

Edamame are young soy beans that are still in the pod. Edamame should be a light, bright green and free from excessive blemishes- a little dirt is fine. I have only seen edamame frozen in bags. To cook them, I usually steam, pod and all, them in the microwave (dorm room living), then top them with a little pepper and sea salt. They should not be mushy or crunchy, rather, firm. To eat them, you pop the bean out of the pod with your mouth so you can get the flavor of the seasonings from the pod. There might be variations on this, but this technique is fun : ).

It is not dried, so it is not like a nut,  it almost has the color of a lima bean.
Edamame is high in nutrients. Besides eating them plain, I also add them to salads amd stir frys. They are good with soy sauces as well.

foodnetwork.com has great ideas for edumame.

k, so what is it?  I keep seeing it places and hearing about it, but I've never tried it.  I know it's a type of soy bean, but how do you cook/use it?  Is it supposed to be mushy or crunchy?  I've seen both fresh and frozen at the store.  What is the difference in preperation of fresh vs frozen?  What does it taste like?  Is it more bean like or nut like?  I've had salted soy nuts, and I liked them, but they didn't look anything like edamame.  Can anyone clue me in?  could I ask more questions in this post?  could I!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
rixies
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008 11:48:13 AM »

I've never actually prepared edamame at home, but it really looks easy enough. The first time I had it was at a japanese restaurant. I tried to eat the whole pod...they laughed at me! So I quickly learned you just use your teeth to pop the seeds out into your mouth.

I've only ever had it steamed and salted. If you have any japanese restaurants around where you live, you may want to stop in and see if they have it! You can try it out. I don't know how to explain the flavor, but it's good. It's not a bold or strong flavor at all. Just...a bean thing with salt on it. I like edamame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008 12:32:43 PM »

my son-10 yo loves edamame..we get our from trader joe's and I boil them and throw some salt in there..my 4yo loves it too but he doesnt like the unpeeling part so after they are peeled he is all about it Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
CraftyZedral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008 11:21:01 AM »

The first time I ever had edamame, they were flavored with garlic, chilie and star anise.  Maybe a few other things too, but those are the flavors that stood out the most.  They were sooooo good that way.  Someone brought them to class and we couldn't stop eating them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make an origami bird
How to Make an Origami Fortune Teller
How to Fold an Origami Paper Cup
How to Fold an Origami Elephant
How to Fold an Origami Kirigami Dove
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...