A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: questions from a non-weaver (yet hehe)  (Read 909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mooshie
« on: May 22, 2008 10:37:09 AM »

ok, so I like the idea of weaving because I have a LOT of yarn to use up b-4 DH will let me buy more, and it seems like weaving would help me use it up quickly.  But I'm not sure I'd enjoy it.  I need to do some digging around to see if there's a place near me where I can use a loom to see if I like it.  But assuming that I do like it (after all I like the idea of it!) what kinds of looms are out there?  I really think DH would only allow one loom in the house at a time, so I'd need to be really careful about what one I get, I'd have to pretty much love the thing! LOL  so what are the options?  and what are the +'s and -'s about each kind?  and where's a good place to shop around for these?

also, what can you weave?  I've seen pics of washcloths, towels, scarves, and blankets.  but these are all flat.  I may get bored with flat only items.  is it a cardinal sin to cut and sew hand woven fabric?  I've been sewing for 17 years now, and I think I could come up with some pretty cool things to make with hand woven fabric, but if it's going to "ruine" my weaving maybe it wouldn't be worth it?   I mean it'd be pretty cool to make jackets, and shirts, and heck maybe even re-upholster a chair in hand woven fabric!  is this allowed? 

oh one more thing.  I think it'd be really cool to one day make a rug or something out of handspun yarn. can I weave this? or should I learn latch hooking too?

thanks for your help.
(I knew I was in trouble! LOL )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kbird
Crafter Wanna-be

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008 05:07:14 PM »

I heard a really good podcast on sewing with your weaving...www.weave cast.com, Episode 26.
The thing I took away from that is that it is important to weave simply to build a stash of fabrics to have at your disposal for sewing projects, and not to be afraid to treat the fabric as you would for normal use... that is, make sure you wash it, dry it, abuse it before you put it away for that project you're not too sure what that might be quite yet...

She also had some interesting things to say about loom widths.

Since you are interested in sewing, a tapestry loom is probably not what you would be looking for.  You would want some kind of a floor or table loom.  And, if you want to do complex patterns/textures with your weaving, you will probably want more than 4 harnesses.

And yes, with any of these looms, you can weave a rug....

To purchase a loom, I recommend watching craigslist or there are weaving guilds that list used equipment for their members.  It would pay to learn what is out there and what is usual/unusual before purchasing.

Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://neverknittingcrafter.com/
Returning to the Crafty side...
Interested in anything with a needle and working with recycled materials
fiberfan
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008 09:06:44 PM »

I took a class last month with Daryl Lancaster, the person interviewed in the weavecast episode Kbird mentioned.  She brought clothes she had sewn with handwoven fabric.  I would see if there is weaving guild in your arey.  My guild owns several looms that members can rent.  I second the recommentation to look for a used loom.  One good thing about buying a used loom is they hold their value well.  When looking for where to try a loom, check the school districts community education classes and any local colleges/universities.  If the college/unversity doesn't have a textile program, check their lifetime learning program if they have one.

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
henofthewoods
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008 03:40:29 PM »

I haven't ever cut my handwoven fabric yet and I doubt I will, but I am preparing to sew it. I wove a piece to the width of cloth that I wanted for an envelope pillow. I plan to sew only selvedge to selvedge and bind the ends so that nothing frays out. I am not that good of a sewer, and my fabric seems coarse for cutting. If I wanted to make something fine scale, I would go with a multiharness loom with a beater bar. I have a rigid heddle and it is difficult to pack the weft down well enough to make fine cloth. (I have some linen going that is really defeating me.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beijing Chicken Recipe
How to Make Indian Chai
The Traditional Chinese Tofu Making Process
How Tofu is Made
How Chinese Vinegar is Brewed
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...