A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Safely starting up a neglected torch... help!  (Read 466 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flamefeather
fnord

meow dammit!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2008 10:18:06 AM »

OK, so some years ago, I got into jewelry fabrication, and got a nice torch setup in my dad's garage.  it's an acetylene/air torch (http://www.littletorch.com/silversmith.html)  I picked up a tank of acetylene from a local welding supply place (B-size tank, 40 cu ft. if I remember correctly)  I used maybe half the gas, then left home for college.  When I came home for summers, I worked full time, and didn't have time for torch work.

So now, about 5 years later, that tank is still in my dad's garage, half-full of acetylene.   I'm a little afraid of it now, after neglecting it so long, since it IS a pressurized tank of flammable/explosive gas.  Is it safe to start using this tank and torch again?  How do I go about checking it safely to make sure everything is in working order?  It has been stored upright, off the ground, and protected from being struck or otherwise damaged.  if it isn't safe to USE the gas, what do I do with it?  bleed it off, or bungee it to the passenger seat of my car to take it back to the welding supply place?

also: I did not previously have a flashback arrestor, since my teacher said they were mostly for fuel/oxy torches, and that acetylene/air was safer, unless the tank was almost empty.  I'm planning on picking one up as it is, but I was just wondering wether he was right.  all the info I'm finding about them online is geared for fuel/oxy.

I know I tend to be paranoid, but this is something it's probably justified for.  thanks for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Attach a Coat Button
How to Make a Slip Stitch
How to Operate a Sewing Machine
How to Sew a Hem on Your Machine
How to Sew a Buttonhole on Clothes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...