A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Friendship Quilt Block Swap #1 /Friendship Star/ Sign-ups Closed  (Read 14711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Prickly Venus
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2008 07:05:42 AM »

I hope everyone is making a few extra blocks for themselves, as ColoradoDeb suggested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prickly Venus
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2008 07:52:12 AM »

A practice block. Of course, my point is going the wrong way. Oh well, my collection of orphan blocks just gets bigger. Don't pay no nevermind to my scary ironing board cover. I do wash it regularly, I just can't bring myself to throw it away, since it has no holes in it. Things like seam allowances take time to master. I always tend to make mine too wide, even with my little 1/4" seam guide.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008 07:58:33 AM by Prickly Venus » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chinarockfishakm

Ralphie Jr. (Christmas Story)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2008 01:10:38 PM »

OK slight problem. I made my first block and it looks fine but it seems a tad small. I measured it against my 6.5 x 6.5 square and its a little small. Its maybe 1/8 too small on each side. There is a little ruler sticking out on each side. Is this ok? Its so close to the right size its killing me.

Update: 2nd block the same exact measurement is off. The templates I made to cut the squares are perfectly matched to the sizes indicated. ARGH! Can I send them with this tiny deviation?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008 01:39:23 PM by chinarockfishakm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft-ish Blog: http://notimeforcrafting.blogspot.com/

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
Prickly Venus
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2008 05:49:47 PM »

If your block is consistantly turning out to measure 6 3/8", instead of 6 1/2", then I think it is o.k. If it is turning out smaller than that, you might have to adjust your seam allowances by just a hair. If it is more than 1/8 inch off, it can be a problem when your partner is sewing it into a project. So, let's agree that a deviaton of 1/8" is acceptable for this particular block.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2008 06:00:21 PM »

Awesome!  I am having the same problem.  I am an 1/8th or less but it isn't 6 1/2 on a few.  Most are coming out right though!  I have 6 out of the 12 I will need perfectly square blocks made.  I am making duplicates for me and using the inferior ones...which seems to be mounting up rather quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
chinarockfishakm

Ralphie Jr. (Christmas Story)

« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2008 07:42:02 PM »

hmm I need to do some adjusting...they are weird....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft-ish Blog: http://notimeforcrafting.blogspot.com/

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
mcbenno
Pronounced mc.ben.no, not mc.bean.o ;)

It's a guineasaurus rex!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2008 07:56:07 PM »

I have most of my fabric washed (I forgot about one bag of fat quarters I bought... oops!) and am ready to start sewing like mad tomorrow night while the FH is off playing cards with his buddies Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2008 05:30:14 AM »

I'm on my own with the baby for the week.  My husband is on his (very first!) business trip.  So last night I got a few squares cut out of my focus fabric.  My white is still in my car, unwashed.  I keep forgetting to bring it in the house.  Hopefully I can finish cutting all the pieces tonight, and then I'll spend Wednesday and Thursday sewing. 

I'm not the most technical person, so I hope my block will be up to scratch for everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
Prickly Venus
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2008 09:52:46 AM »

I like to think of this round  as practice for anyone who wants to go further with this. The more blocks you make, the better they will get, it is as simple as that. I don't know how many of you are rotary cutting v.s. template cutting, but I wonder if that makes a difference with this block? As long as you are trully doing the best you are able, no one can ask for more than that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Colorado Deb
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2008 09:58:27 AM »

The other thing to remember is to press your pieces after each time you sew.  Makes all the differance in the world. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.-  NuClia Waste
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating an Entirely Different Kind of Panorama with Photoshop
How to Create an Animated GIF Using Photoshop
Before and After: Outdoor Portrait
How to Spot a Retouched Photo
How to Draw a Cockroach
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...