A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Friendship Quilt Block Swap #1 /Friendship Star/ Sign-ups Closed  (Read 15862 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008 10:07:22 PM »

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but as I've never done a "proper" quilt I need to ask it. The friendship star is made of whatever fabrics we like (obviously) and is then attached to a white piece of fabric 6.5" x 6.5"? And then the partner would add the batting and backing and do the actual "quilting" once they've amassed as many blocks as they would like for their project? And the idea is that the white fabric is then not seen once the project is complete?

If so, how do I attach the block to the white fabric? Top stitching? Stitch-witchery? Basting tape? I've made quilt blocks but never with a second layer like this.

On another note, this is very exciting because, while I have sewn since I was 8, I just recently started getting more interested in quilting, so this could be a very fun swap for me to practice! (No worries, I sew well - your blocks won't be falling apart or anything) Wink

I'll send in my questionnaire once I am sure of what I am supposed to be doing Cheesy

the star is sewn into the white. you cut pieces as the pattern calls for and sew the pieces together as the pattern instructs. everything is in the link in the original post. no need to topstitch or use iron on fusing all sewn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
mcbenno
Pronounced mc.ben.no, not mc.bean.o ;)

It's a guineasaurus rex!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008 10:15:42 PM »

the star is sewn into the white. you cut pieces as the pattern calls for and sew the pieces together as the pattern instructs. everything is in the link in the original post. no need to topstitch or use iron on fusing all sewn

Oh, duh. That's what I get for just looking at the pictures and not reading. Cheesy OK, groovy! Thanks Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chinarockfishakm

Ralphie Jr. (Christmas Story)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008 07:25:22 AM »

OK straighten me out here. I make 6 blockes and mail them to one person? I am trying to figure it out before I sign up. What exactly is made and sent? And the pattern link isnt working. I would like to see what I am getting into before I do it...haha:-) Amy

It worked after I typed this but I would still like to know the amount of things to send. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 08:13:02 AM by chinarockfishakm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft-ish Blog: http://notimeforcrafting.blogspot.com/

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
Prickly Venus
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008 08:25:07 AM »

Wow, you all have been chatty here, I love it. The background fabric for this swap should be a plain white white. No white-on-white prints for this one. We are going to use a good quality 100% cotton quilter's quality solid white fabric. Yes, pieces of fabrics can be wahsed in the machine, just remember, like others have said, it will fray, and pinking may help. You could always wash it well in a large sink of very hot water, allowing it to soak for at least ten min., and then dry it on high in the dryer as well. Yes, over the weekend the website with the pattern went funny, it seems to be back up now. I am guesssing high demand on a holiday weekend.

Just to be clear, each person will make sets of six blocks. The focus fabric for the star will be any fabric you choose, and they don't all have to be the same. More variety is always good for a quilt like this. You have the opportunity to trade one, two, or three sets of six blocks, new swappers may only trade one set. Each set of six goes to one person. It is very, very, very important to read and follow all directions on the pattern page. This is a very simple pieced block, no applique requred. Please measure twice or more if needed, to make the blocks accurate so that your fellow swappers will be able to use the blocks with ease. And ask all the questions you need to, don't be afraid. I like the spirit of this group, it seems everyone is willing to help each other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prickly Venus
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008 08:31:25 AM »

I usually buy my white quilter's fabric at Joanne's. They have several different grades, and I usually buy the best quality I can find, that being said, you don't have to use the Kona Cottons, those are about $5.99, the one I use is $3.99, if not on sale. But you can use Kona Cotton if you want. Sometimes Kona Cotton looks a little dull after it is washed, and I prefer solids with a little light reflectiveness after washing, like the Amish-style cotton solids have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ritapizza
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008 10:02:26 AM »

I'm really interested in joining this swap. I just need to drop by Joann's first and find the right kind of white cotton for the background fabric. How much yardage should I get? Thanks, everyone, for your tips for newbie quilters like me! This is going to be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vecr81
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008 11:02:14 AM »

I will have to find a Joanns also! I am not liking the white I have now. It's kind of thin. I'm going to try and find something with a little more thread count before I start cutting my blocks. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love Personal swaps!

I GOT ACCEPTED INTO UNC CHARLOTTE!!!!!!
Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008 01:42:35 PM »

I'd really love to do this swap, but I need to get feedback from my first swap before I can sign up, and since my partner doesn't have internet access and therefore has not let the organizers know she got my package, I have no idea when that will be. 

Argh.  Sad 

Edit:  Nevermind, I can join!  Sent in my questionnaire!

Yay!!  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 03:33:32 PM by Jenicat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pertelot
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008 01:46:37 PM »

its nice to see all the interest! i cant wait to start Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008 01:54:33 PM »

Just a suggestion -

Do you want to know what colors people prefer?  I mean, if someone wants to use a binding that is green and gets all red and white squares, but doesn't want a Christmas quilt... Smiley

I don't know if this matters to anyone, and if I get to sign up, I'd love to have multi-colored squares so I have a nice colorful quilt.  But it might matter to someone.  Just an idea!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Designing a Pressed Flower Bookmark
Storing Pressed Flowers
Creating a Laminated Pressed Flower Bookmark
Creating a Pressed Flower Frame-Under Photo
Creating a Pressed Flower Frame-Over Photo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...