A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! NEED URGENT OPINIONS!!  (Read 1984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bunny of DOOM!
Plastic Dinosaurs are my life.

Rawr.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2008 08:31:02 AM »

My best friends have just bought their first house, and they wanted a painting as a housewarming pres. I SUCK majorly at drawing people, but i wanted to give it a shot cos i love them to bits Tongue Just finished it (i think) but i am never happy with anything i do- and i have no idea how i feel about this.

I would love any opinions, words of advice. Do you think it looks like them?? I am worried they will either find it hilarious, or be offended Smiley I just really don't want it to be one of those things that they don't like, but they feel like they have to put up cos it was a gift..

I know there is too much negative space and it's bugging me..any ideas of how to fix it a bit?

I am torn over whether to leave it, change it, give it to them, or ditch it! HEEEELPPPPP!

P.S. They move in tomorrow, which is why i'm up way past my bed time trying to get it done!

Here's the original pic of them- 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jadedgreeneyes
Punk Rock Princess

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008 08:44:02 AM »

Personally, I absolutly love your picture! I would be flattered if someone gave this to me. I do think it looks like them and it is a little quirky and cute at the same time! I wouldn't change a bit and I would definitly give it to them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brand New Nursing Student!!
opheliapoe
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008 08:44:54 AM »

i think its neat. i would hang a painting of me like that in my house. she looks SUPER happy in the painting. lol... great job on it, though, seriously. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Archivemonster
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008 08:48:46 AM »

I read your post before I scrolled down to see your painting, so I was prepared for the worst Grin
But I really like it and I don't think you should change it in anyway. The negative space works very well with the round shape (is this English?)
Just tell them that they should only put it up if they really like it. I am sure they will!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hejin
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008 08:53:52 AM »

It doesn't look like an EXACT copy of the photo: he looks a bit dazed, she has a maniacal grin. But anyone would be able to tell it's them alright. Definitely give it to them! It'll be such a waste if you ditch it. But if you're afraid they'll end up putting it up just to avoid hurting your feelings, tell them that they are free to do whatever they like with it!

Maybe you could deal with the negative space by draping stuff over it? Like metal chains of varying thicknesses, or some cool fabrics...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JohnnaCathryn
Johnna Cathryn Decor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008 09:03:30 AM »

You did a great job painting the picture. I think its beautiful and doesn't need anymore work.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is more enjoyable when its pretty!
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008 09:24:33 AM »

For you thinking you suck at drawing people, you sure did a great job!  I think it looks like them.  And, more importantly, if they are your best friends then you can rest assured that they won't be offended.  They will likely be touched that you put forth such effort.  It's up to them if they want to hang it or not, but I'm guessing that they will  Smiley  As far as the negative space goes, I think it works well.  It's a very interesting composition, what with the canvas's shape and the light colors in the background.

And this is just for your future people-painting/drawing ventures:
I, too, think that I'm not the best at drawing people.  When I'm painting, what really helps me is to turn the reference picture upside down and work from there, so that I'm not pressured to make it "look like" the picture.  It helps me pay more attention to the values and tones in the actual work, and that helps me a lot.  Or when you're drawing, you can just go for the feeling of the reference and not worry about it being an exact replica.  Just thought I'd throw that out there and hopefully it helps you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
asile153
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008 10:06:49 AM »

I think you really did a really great job.  Really.  And I would definitely give it to them.  I have one suggestion, and I'm being way critical, so feel free to ignore me completely.  Hejin mentioned it looks like she has a maniacal grin, which I kinda agree with.  I think the reason is because there is a light line above her pupil, making it look like her eyes are open really wide.  I think if her pupil went all the way up to her eyelashes, it would take care of it.  And like I said, feel free to ignore me, because I don't really know what I am talking about and it may just be a result of the scanning or whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your friends ask about me you say I can be found
with the cheap romance novels with their spines battered down
oh the heart has no bones you say so it wont break
but the purpose of loving is the pounding it takes
darkladymajesta
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008 11:50:30 AM »

I like it the way it is! If you do put anything in the space above them I would put words. Perhaps a favorite quotation or something simple such as "Best Friends" or eveb "Welcome".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaymadben
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008 12:04:27 PM »

GIVE IT TO THEM!!! Sure there are things you could fix but I think it's super cute and the quirkiness is what I like so much about it. So if you want some more practice I can give you a picture of me and my hubby to work on next  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Chibi Hair
How to Draw a Strong Man
How to Do Graffiti Letters
How to Do Graffiti Colors
How to Use Calligraphy Ink
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...