A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My new Livingroom and Bathroom (major pic lard!!)  (Read 3669 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlackResonance
« on: May 22, 2008 07:14:50 AM »

So my husband and I have this cute apartment. The only thing I hate about it is the neighbors upstairs and parts of the floors are a bit crooked with awful patch jobs. We had carpeting mostly throughout except for the kitchen and bathroom which had tiling. I hate carpet because it's so hard to keep clean and one of my cats liked to use it as his scratching post AND bathroom  Roll Eyes Then one day I took a peak underneath all the carpets to find there was old hardwood flooring underneath, some finished, some not. So we called the landlord to ask if we could rip it up. "Sure go ahead. Do whatever you want."  Shocked Well hell yes I will!! We only have the LR done, for the most part, and the bathroom was just a small update. So first the LR which I only have partials of. Oh, and yes, we did it ALL by hand with 3 different grits because the boards were not level with each other! And we have frost heaves along the wall with the couch on it, haha!

Before - with nasty burber carpet *shudders*

In Process -

- I just had to

Sort of finished, painted walls that didn't end at the floor (I filled them afterwards)

And DONE!

- Water Bamboo, in case you're wondering.

So about the side with the messy screen and furniture - We used the screen with a sheet over it because we don't have a door to this room (which would go next to my sewing desk area), so the paper on the screen was covered with sand dust that I couldn't take off even with a steam cleaner. So I ripped it off and I'm waiting to get a staple gun so I can staple the fabric onto it. Afterwards, it will be covering my husband's jewelry bench in that left corner.

And the bathroom - the only before photo had Anakin sitting on the toilet. And no he doesn't use it  Cheesy

After, same color paint used in the LR -

Whew! Next up is our dining room and bedroom which don't have as bad of floors. Give me a month for that, lol! What do ya think? Smiley
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008 07:18:50 AM by BlackResonance » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fauxfreak
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008 07:23:21 AM »

You must be exhausted fromall that work!  What a transformation- you did a beautiful job, and I love the color of the stain for the wood floors.  What a difference the paint job made in your bathroom, too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008 07:26:19 AM »

we did that at my parents house.  we ripped up all the gross really old carpet.  and low & behold wood flooring underneath.  ALot of sanding & varnishing later it was a beautiful wood floor.  They live in an old farmhouse so, the wood floors look so gorgeous, we can never figure out why it was covered with carpet in the first place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
BlackResonance
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008 07:31:51 AM »

Thanks Grin

we can never figure out why it was covered with carpet in the first place.
Yeah we're thinking it was our landlords idea. He's great in the fact that he does work if your place needs any fixing but he's extremely cheap so he'll find ways around stuff to get a better deal. That and I think he just didn't want to go through the process of restoring them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008 08:02:08 AM »

Wow. That is a ton of work, but it looks like it was worth it. That's a great finish you got out of that old floor in the end. I don't understand why landlords cover hardwood with carpet when so many people WANT wood floors. They really increase the value of a place. And it's amazing what a little paint can do to make a bathroom look so much brighter and cleaner. You should be so proud of yourselves for doing such a fantastic job. It looks like a whole different apartment! I can't wait to see the rest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008 08:27:15 AM »

That looks like one truck load of hard work and then some.  It came out stunning.  Great job.  Can't wait to see the other floors. I love the way you completely changed the way the bathroom vanity looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008 08:47:44 AM »

How did you peek under the carpet? I too have hideous carpet in my studio!  My studio is in a converted Victorian so there might be wood underneath.  Any pointers would be very helpful.  Kudos to you and your hard work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
BlackResonance
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008 09:15:11 AM »

I lifted up various corners. Fortunately there was no carpet guard between the living room and the pantry/kitchen entrance which is next to my desk, but you can't see the doorway, so it was just the edge of the carpet with the floor tacks holding it down. I pulled it away along with the carpet pad. In the other two rooms I did the same but next to the corners of the walls. It can easily be push back onto the floor tacks, just be careful because some carpets are thinner than others and the carpet pad doesn't normally go over these carpet tacks so you can puncture your fingertips a little if you press it back into place too hard.

My advice...move any large or heavy furniture out of your way/room before you take up the carpet. We were trying to move the TV and stand (total of 200lbs.) while ripping away the carpet pad at the same time and it just kept ripping in pieces but we eventually got it. Also, sanding gets extremely messy. Our dining room is two rooms away from the LR and even though I had a folding screen with a long sheet hung up hanging over it, we still got a thin layer of dust in the dining room. It's a very messy job but I definitely think it's worth it when you see the finished project!

And be prepared for the worst, as far as the condition of the previous floors look. We have a spot in our dining room that I could already feel when we had the carpet on, it was lower than the floor, in a rectangular shape and felt unstable and I just made a guess that it was a patch job with cheap materials used to fix it and I was right. My friend and I pulled the carpet away and found an old piece of plywood with splits in it, only 4 tiny little nails were used and all of the edges are sealed with this disgusting black tar. The worst part about it is...there's no subfloor underneath. So whoever worked on it before sawed off the gorgeous wood flooring along with the subfloor and didn't repair it properly. If we put any weight on it the board starts to bend. And we have a bakery below us so that wouldn't be too swell if someone fell through!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smalleah
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008 06:55:46 PM »

I recall the fun of ripping up the carpet in my room (and helping with the rest of the house). That's a chore!
It looks like your hard work paid off. You did a great job - the wood finish is a great color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008 12:05:44 AM »

Speaking of color, what do you call the beautiful finish you obtained? Gosh, I'm so impressed with how your floors came out, unbelievably great!

We've been living with our after-carpet wood floors for about a year now and it's dreadful, I just haven't had the umph to tackle it. But after seeing what you've managed to do I've been inspired to seriously look into how we should go about refinishing them.

You and your husband have done a bang-up job and you should be VERY proud of yourselves, bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 2c
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1c
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1b
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1a
How to Remap Color in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...