A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celtic Cap Crisis  (Read 428 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chrissie_r
« on: May 22, 2008 07:13:54 AM »

I'm working on the Celtic Cap. http://www.girlfromauntie.com/patterns/shop/celticcap/detail.php

This is the first project I've ever made a swatch for. I measured my bf's head, I made a swatch, I talked to the LYS before starting to make sure all my ducks were in a row because I shelled out a little more money on the yarn. I even bought Addi Turbo needles to work on this.

I really struggled with getting it off the ground. I must have started over ten times. I was trying to work on it off and on during school, or off and on while cleaning. Now that I've had a break (and the house is clean!), I managed to get past the problem - and learned to cable without a cable needle!

So my bf got home last night, I tried to put the hat on his head to see how it fit, and it's HUGE. I mean HUGE. I'm so frustrated. Can I shrink it? Should I sew it smaller since I'm working it flat? Should I bag the whole thing? Should I suck it up and start over AGAIN? I would do almost anything to avoid that. Sad

Please help..... I've never had gauge problems before. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008 08:38:44 AM »

Do it over on smaller needles or with less stitches. It will look a lot better than a bulky seam. Hats stretch so it's better to make one slightly smaller (an inch or 2) than the actual head measurement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Teetante
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008 12:06:15 PM »

I was working on that, twice and the first one was a pain. I was fine with the head, but the hem was always not right. I re-did it at least 5 times. How many panels do you have? I think I made 8 and it worked good for both heads. I'd also suggest to knit it again. Or if it's way to big to try to felt it, but I have no experience with that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008 12:07:59 PM by Teetante » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning!
___________________ ___________________
Visit our shop and the blog at
http://AuthenticFiction.etsy.com
http://Authenticfiction.twoday.net
creepyhugger
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008 03:45:37 PM »

how big are we talking?  like, one full panel?  i'm making that hat right now with six panels on size 8 needles, and it fits me.  i'm just worried it won't be long enough! 

how far into it are you?  if you're not too far, i think you'll be happier with the finished results if you frog and reknit...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrissie_r
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008 06:45:59 AM »

I finished it! I ended up reducing it to five panels. Then it worked out great width wise. When I was almost done I realized that was great for the width, but that it would still be too tall. It goes down over his ears, so it's not what I was going for, but he likes it and it will keep his head warm in the winter.

I think I'll just make him another one using smaller yarn. I'll post a pic over the weekend. Thanks for all the help. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fettuccini Pizza Casserole Recipe
Mashed Potato and Ham Casserole Recipe
Scarborough Fare Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
Barbecue Bean Bake Recipe
Brown Sugar Glazed Ham Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...