A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift for a guy in the hospital?  (Read 1873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abe
« on: February 03, 2005 10:21:13 PM »

It seems like no one knows of any 'get wel soon' guy gifts...  My little lumpkins is sick & I must craft for him!  I need something um, manly, but with the spiffy girlfiend touch and screams love. Wink

I've gotten a few cards, going to get a nice lil' flower in a vase or something... but other than that I'm drawing a blank.  I was thinking of making one of those tied together fleece throws, but that's only if I can still find some nascar fleece (he likes sports & such).  Perhaps something for him to do while he's there?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my shops or sign up for my mailing list!  Wink
http://www.kittyinpinx.com

Caroline
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005 07:39:13 PM »

I had to be in the hospital for a while after I got hit by a drunk driver, and the only presents I liked were the ones I could use. I don't know if there's a VCR in his room; you could get him some good movies or tape nascar races for him, since he likes that (don't those go on for hours?). Those little electronic games are fun, I liked Yatzee, but they also have poker, monopoly, and other little games like that for around 20 bucks, and you could always make a cozy for them Cheesy. I also don't know what he's sick with, but if he can eat what he wants, definitely make him something to eat, hospital food is normally pretty awful and takeout gets old (when you go to visit him, hot chocolate in a thermos is good too, esp. if he's a coffee drinker, since you want to sleep when you can). You also don't get to control the temperature most of the time, so if he'll be there for a while you could get him 'man slippers' (I don't know many guys who like to walk around people in the fuzzy ones), or a fan, depending on if the room's hot or cold. Some other ideas could be a really soft pillow, a mixed CD, and maybe a new game if he has a gameboy. And remember to wrap it, it's always more fun to open a gift!

Hope this helped  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abe
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005 09:51:22 PM »

Thank you, I may use a few of those ideas  Grin  He can't eat or drink anything, although I did sneak him an ice cube, hehe.  There's no vcr, but I was thinking maybe rentway or some place has those portable dvd players to rent for a week or so?  hmmm, well see.  Def. doing a blanket, he made me check the one in the room for him cause he said his roomie poos himself, hehe.  I didn't think of a pillow though, they can match Smiley

Sorry to hear about your accident, people can be idiots.  He has pancreatitus (sp?), which is basically an enlarged pancreas due to gallstones, so he'll be back in there in a few weeks to get that yanked out.  ah well, just so there's no more sickness, plus that gives me more reasons to make presents!

Thanks bunches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurb88
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005 03:49:30 PM »

Something he can look at/read!  A mini-scrapbook would be cute, or if you can draw, a funny little comic book or flip book.  You could also make one of those puzzles that are actually pictures of you/pictures that you drew or something, that could be fun/amusing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abe
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005 09:15:17 PM »

I just thought of something similar to a scrapbook & remembered I posted this.

A little update...  He had to have emergency gallbladder/pancreas surgery, & since then his infection has spread to his bloodstream (sepsis) & he's in the ICU.  Not good Sad  So if anyone can, please say a prayer for him.  He's a little better today, but has a long road of recovery ahead of him.

He's on a vent right now, but has moved up to breathing 60% on his own.  My idea is making a little picture filled book of things he's missed, things were gonna do when he gets out, etc. for when he's feeling better, or at least when he wakes up (they have him sedated due to the vent).  Just gotta gather pictures & ideas now, heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckkicat
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005 09:32:53 PM »

How about a new universal remote control?  That's a guy's best friend, isn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaybee
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005 09:42:44 PM »

how a bout a small pillow---when he gets off the vent--he's going to have to do breathing and coughing exercises---a small pillow to press next to the incision is really helpful  when you cough. you could decorate it with pictures or hearts.....
hope he feels better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back to School Hair and Makeup Tutorial
3 Steps to Beautiful Nails
4 Tips for Using Bronzer
3 Tips for Applying Sunscreen
The Best Primers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...