A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any tips on making traditional Japanese Ramen?  (Read 590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2008 11:32:04 PM »

I made the closest thing to traditional Japanese ramen that I could for my boyfirends birthday but I would love to have some tips on how to make it better. (it was really beautiful but the only picture I have of it is on his phone...if I can get it from him i will post it for you to see!)
To make the broth I boiled ham bones for about 8 hours with some japanese spices and herbs and strained it about a million times. then I put the broth back on the stove to heat up and concentrate the flavor a little more. while that was going on I got all of the "toppings" ready which included some amazing pork I got super fresh from the butcher shop, udon noodles, several different kinds of sprouts, egg, baby corn, bamboo chutes, nori...and maybe some other veggies.
for the final presentation I got a big bowl and out the noodles at the bottom and piled on al the toppings except the nori. then I poured the hot broth over top and set a plate over the bowl to heat everything up. I then topped with nori and served.
This took about the entire day to prepare and he was so overjoyed he took a picture and sent it to all of his friends. But, I was a little dissapointed with the flavor (I think he just thought it was incredibly cool and nerdy). Is there anyone here who has experience with traditional ramen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rixies
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008 09:10:07 AM »

I would be interested in this as well... I especially love sukiyaki but would be interested in how to properly flavor the broth for traditional ramen, udon, or sukiyaki. So if anyone has any tips, please do share with us!!! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008 07:13:01 AM »

A traditional broth is pretty simple; whatever bones you're boiling, add kelp and ginger, which are the only 2 consistent ingredients I've come across; after that it's just like chicken soup - you make it what you want it to be. Flavor with soy or miso or both; ginger, scallions, rice vinegar, chiles; I've seen recipes where fruit gets tossed into the boiling broth, like an apple or even some pineapple.

You could marinate the bones in soy sauce, then grill them before boiling.

MSG...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008 08:29:50 AM »

I didnt think about adding kelp. I live in a pretty bland part of the US though and I'm not so sure I will be able to find kelp. I did add a good amount of fresh ginger which I think was pretty good but the broth was definitely missing something, hopefully the kelp will give me the flavor that I am looking for. I also seasoned my bowl with a bit of something called minute miso. It is instant miso soup in a small bottle and is a little expensive but man is it good! and no MSG!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chinese Food Meal Plan
Common Chinese Food Raw Sauces and Ingredients
How to Cut Chicken Meat into Strips and Triangle Shapes
Learn Chinese Food Cutting and Preparation Techniques
How to Cut Carrots into Slices ,Dice and Roll Cut- Chinese style
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...