A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photographing Your Products - A Couple of Tips  (Read 5775 times)
Tags for this thread: product_photography  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2004 05:13:48 AM »

i'm just wondering if you guys have a special set-up for photographing your creations for your websites?

i've been having a few little probs with lighting... i've been using the 'close-up' mode on my digital camera for small objects such as jewellery, but when the flash goes off it tends to bounce off objects, creating glare. i'm thinking i'd be better off using lamps and such, and turning the flash off?

also i'm not sure about backgrounds... white seems too harsh...

any tips and info would be muchas welcome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
Danwei
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004 06:50:00 AM »

I've been having a lot of problems with the lighting myself!

I put my stuff on white background though. Because when the picture comes out a little dark, I find it a lot easier to fix that in Photoshop when the background is plain white.

But I know what you mean. White can be a bit boring too.
I'm just waiting for the spring so I can take picture of the stuff outdoors.
Better lighting and much more interesting background!
You can put your items on the green grass, on a stone, among some flowers, just think of all the posibilities!

Oh..I wish it was spring...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grandmabonnie
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004 07:25:29 AM »

Yea!  Something I know about!  There is plenty of light outside to take pictures as long as it isn't raining or snowing or such...  If you are taking pictures of your item, you want a plain background so you don't detract from the item - a white background - I like the look of white fleece kind of drape-y.  a couple of folds gives interest and do not use a flash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004 08:32:16 AM »

Keep some cream colored fabric on hand as well.  Some items will look better on cream, just like some people look better in cream than white.  Also, some dark fabrics are good to.  When I got my digital, I picked out a couple sample objects and played around in different lighting with different background.  I've read some digital camera books since and that is what they suggest because each camera is slightly different.  Also, try the different settings, if you have them, on your camera.    I found I have the hardest time with closeup photos like those your asking about.  So you are not the only one. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lonely--girl
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004 08:46:41 AM »

The best way for your photos to come out looking nice, and even proffesional, is to never use the flash! It messes with the colour, making everything look washed out in a weird way.

Instead, use a couple of lamps at different angles. Sometimes changing the bulb in the lamp can make a huge difference. What looks really nice though, is if you can get the light to shine a certain way so that it looks like there is a rim of light on your jewelery....it will look like the sun is shining inside!

I'm lucky though.....my boyfirend is a lighting technician for film, so i get help in this area. But one thing he taught me, was that lighting is an artform in itself. That's why some movies or photos look so much better than others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftology

I'm a knitting kitten!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004 11:46:01 AM »

When I photograph "shiny" items for my site (www.craftology.net) such as hair pins or bags with shiny vinyl to get rid of the glare I turn off the light and leave a small light behind the camera on and then I use the flash too take the picture.  The flash in the darkness gives enough light so that the glare doesn't show up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elecbunni

Apparently, communists make the best cigars...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004 05:26:54 AM »

In college, I was taught how to take slides of my art work so that they would look professional. It was actually pretty easy and I think a lot of the same ideas can apply here. Basically, we draped a light gray paper and arranged the piece on the paper and lit it from the sides with cheapo lamps from Home Depot. The ugly silver ones that clamp and can rotate. Then we played with the light until it looked good. I think we may have used a special light bulb, too, but I don't think it was 100% necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004 07:52:20 AM »

I've also always heard that not using your flash is best, when possible. Also, my sister-in-law is a graphic artist who has done a lot of catalog and magazie work - she says - there is not a picture you see in a professional catalog or magazine that has not been re-touched or altered in some way! So don't think you are not doing a good job taking pictures because they don't look like the pros - the pros have a lot of help.

If you don't have/can't afford Photoshop to work on your photos, try either Paint Shop Pro (I think it's under $100) or check out this article at TechTV.com about free image editors - Gimp is supposed to be almost as good as Photoshop!

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/catsclicks/story/0,24330,3610916,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004 12:26:40 PM »

Hrmmm...I haven't heard the one about not using a flash.  The way I take pictures of my scarves is that I put a piece of white fabric on a counter with my scarf on it, stand on a chair, and with the overhead lights on I use a bounce flash off the ceiling so that I don't get these weird shadows from the overheads.  My pictures turn out pretty well that way, and if there are any problems, I fix them in photoshop.  But as mentioned previously, I can't wait until spring to take pics outside of stuff!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SirenSport
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004 10:23:07 AM »

I have also found that my items photograph best outside, in direct sunlight, and with no flash.   We even tried setting up a little make-shift studio with those clamp lights from Home Depot, but the pictures just came out looking "cold" and dull for some reason.

For a background, we ended up liking the look of plain old plywood....   http://www.sirensport.com/shop/category/detail.aspx?id=005|620-179|620-104

One issue I am having though:  I can never seem to get reddish colors (rust, pink, etc) to photograph true to color.   Does anybody else ever have this problem?  Any suggestions??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Tortoise
How to Chalk Still Life
How to Draw Naruto
How to Draw Scrat from the Movie Ice Age 4
Superhero Comic Artist: Behind the Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...