A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,359
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thinking of opening an Etsy store... I need some price suggestions!  (Read 972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skarinja
« on: March 29, 2008 04:46:44 PM »

As of now, I've only sold the t-shirts, hoodies and tank tops I make on www.cellardoorapparel.com with my two partners. I want to move up in the world though and try to sell the clothing I sew from scratch. I plan on selling item similar to my pop art skirt, some really funky pea coats, cute dresses, some shirts and hoodies maybe, some cute bags and wallets.... Basically all the stuff I've ever posted. So http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=56233;sa=showTopics is a link to all my past topics. Can you look through them and tell me how much you would pay if I listed them on Etsy? I'd have previous made ones plus the option for me to custom make one.

I'm mainly looking for suggested prices for:
- Burdastyle dresses
- Yellow coat
- Pop art skirt
- Lace and yellow prom dress
- Crazy reconned chucks
- Sweatpant jeans
- Fabric cuffs
- Beach wallet
- Cell wristlet
- Funky underwear
- Side bags

Please look through my past topics and let me know... I'd really greatly appreciate any sort of input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog pleats n' eats!!

http://pleatsneats.tumblr.com/
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008 06:57:42 AM »

Don't ask other people what they would pay - if everybody said "$5!" would you charge it? What - $5 isn't enough? OK, then...pay yourself a decent hourly wage - someone with your skills and dedication deserves way more than $10 per, so don't even go there.

You've got a variety of interesting talents going on, and you also seem to be a dedicated crafter/artist. I think you're too good for etsy, and you need a place of your own - your own stage - to show off your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ReconstructiveChoice
LGM

Wiggle your big toe.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008 10:56:17 AM »

Also remember that on Etsy, people seem to know that they're going to get what they pay for.  Don't be afraid to price things in a way that reflect your talent... buyers will occasionally see a lovely item like one of yours priced at $10 and think it must be either cheaply made or the seller is not confident in their work.  I get uncomfortable doing that sometimes though because I'm a bad capitalist feel bad about charging someone so much for my stuff, even if it took me many hours (and mad dollars in materials!) to make.  So be confident, but also don't over charge like some people because that gets on everyone's nerves.  (Like a screen printed tank top for $75... seriously, people!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008 11:58:12 AM »

There was a topic posted in the Crafty Business Discussion forum on pricing recently, here is a snippet from that post, complete post can be read here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=91275.0

Basically, think of the price as a pie divided into 3 parts.
1/3 consists of overhead - any expenses related to haveing a business (rent, phone, marketing, craft fair fees etc)
1/3 consists of profit, which you need to make any money
1/3 consists of supplies and materials.

So think about how much overhead you pay in a year, and divide it by how many of the  items you make in a year (or you can do it monthly). Add the cost of materials  plus the % of an hour it took to make the item in question. Then divide this number in half, then add that to what you got for the overhead + materials.

so....  overhead
         -------------    +  (materials + time) =   {answer 1}   = {answer 2}
         #items                                            ---------------     + answer 1
                                                                   2             ----------------
                                                                                      price$$

This formula is used to find the WHOLESALE price. to find out the RETAIL price, simply multiply the wholesale price times 2.

Then, a few posts down, someone else posted about using materials + 20% x 2.  Basically, making sure you have covered your costs on the item, 20% (markup, maybe?) then times by two (this could be your 'wage' on the item, I guess)

DON'T sell yourself short on the skill/time you put into your pieces.  If you feel you need to justify a higher price tag on something, talk about the work you did to make that piece come together (I.E. like HAND COLORING in the design on the pop art skirt!!!  That MUST have taken some SERIOUS time!)  Hopefully this post I mentioned above and other similar ones will help you out.  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
StookeyDough
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008 10:27:50 PM »

watching this post to see when your etsy goes up.  i love you work! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firzenma

Do you want furi kuri?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008 11:05:57 AM »

I really love your pop art skirt it's amazingly cute, as for the price, it's like everyone said charge for the effort you put in and materials but I'd only pay 30-35 max, but that's because I know I could make it myself so my opinion is slightly biased.  you should ask some people around your town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

700 and growing.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks
Amazing Gifts Your Pets Will Love
Michelle Phan: Social Media Secrets From a Youtube Goddess
The Triple-Whammy Updo
Beauty Tips For Traveling
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...