A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,306
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suss shrug pattern problem  (Read 1166 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2005 08:52:37 PM »

Hi guys... I'm really frustrated with suss right now.  Here's a link to the shrug I bought the pattern for http://www.sussdesign.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=pattern_96&Category_Code=patterns.

Unless I'm a complete idiot, that's ribbing she has at the end of her sleeves.  The pattern is knit flat and the first thing it says to do is cast on 30 stitches and knit 20 rows in St st.  I need to know how to make this a successful rib cuff.  Do I cast on with the same amount of stitches or do I need to increase/decrease them some to account for the way ribbing pulls in the fabric.  I don't want a big poof after the rib.  Do you think it's k4,p4 or k2, p2? 

I've also heard that the back tends to curl up.  I'm thinking a seed stitch would be really pretty, but does it help flatten out stockinette as well as rib does?  How many stitches deep shoud I make the seed or rib border?  I've been speaking with a really nice person in PMs, but I hate to keep bugging her about this same pattern ~ especially when I haven't even started yet!

I'll likely call them tomorrow, but I wanted to start on this shrug the day it came in.  The pattern screw up has just made me avoid it.  I've only been knitting for a little over a month and I'm just not exciting about having to modify a pattern that I paid to have represent the item in the photo.   I hate that I'm putting it off like this because of the lovely 100% alpaca I got to go with this (in the same color as the model's shrug).

Anyhow, I'll probably just call them tomorrow, but thanks so much for letting me rant!  Angry

~atouria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005 08:55:43 PM »

I forgot to mention...  No where in the pattern does it mention a rib stitching.  I looked over it again to be sure that they don't ask you to pick up stitches and add the rib later, and it doesn't.    Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005 10:01:41 PM »

that's a really lovely shrug - too bad the pattern is wonky.  It definitely sounds like there's something wrong - that sure doesn't look like stockinette at the cuffs.  I was going to ask if you pick up stitches for the rib later, but then I saw your second post!  So if you need validation, it sounds to me like your confusion/frustration is justified!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005 07:55:22 AM »

i just finished this pattern yesterday, and i just switched the first 20 rows to K1P1 ribbing...it worked out fine and non-poofy.  i'll post a pic a bit later...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005 10:00:10 AM »

Oh, I can't wait for the pic!  Have you had any trouble with the back rolling up on ya?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005 02:23:09 PM »

Well, apparently I am an idiot.  I just got off the phone with Suss and they say it IS stockinette all down the sleeves.  She said the model in the photo was just really short, so it was just really scrunched up.  I don't understand this logic.  What does it being scrunched up have to do with the last 2 inches or so looking like rib stitching?  The lady I spoke with was hard to understand, so I didn't ask her to elaborate. 
I asked her if the sleeves would roll up because of the straight St st.  She said no, because you are supposed to put a crochet edge on them (which is hard to see in the photo, but is in the pattern).  I've never done crochet, but will it really flatten out St st??  I plan to use it around the mail color area, but I don't really want it on the sleeves.  I'm so frustrated!!!  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005 05:55:02 PM »

Here is the pic of my finished shrug....I don't know how short the model in the pic was, but i am only 5'.  i am glad that i didn't do strait stockinette stitch!  the crocheted edging really helps with the curling on the back.  the directions for the crochette are kind of confusing (i thought...and i've been crochetting for over 15 years!).  let me know what you think of the ribbed cuff, and if you need any help!  good luck Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005 08:57:52 AM »

That looks great kadreath!  I've cast on for mine today.  I'm casting on with 32 st and doing a 2x2 rib.  I'm going to try to do it on a size 8 needle.  My 8 is bamboo.  My 9 is plastic and this yarn is sooo slippery!  I hope I can make it work. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carecare
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005 10:51:42 AM »

Hi all-
I just ordered this pattern and wonder what might be a good yarn to substitute. My LYS doesn't carry Suss Alpaca. Any thoughts? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005 03:38:26 PM »

just find a yarn of the same  gauge.  i used alpaca from elann.com, but want to make a summer one with a cotton blend...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Marinate Beef for Beef Bulgogi
How to Cook and Serve Beef Bulgogi
How to Make Tuna Maki Part 2/2
How to Make Beef Teriyaki Part 1/2
How to Make Beef Teriyaki Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...