A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: resin newbie needs help!  (Read 381 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charmingflaws
« on: May 21, 2008 01:38:25 PM »

I didn't know where to put this, but here goes anyway. I want to make a resin-topped table for my sister's graduation. The idea is currently an endtable (yet to be purchased) with wood moulding around the top so I can pour resin in the middle, overtop of some old postal stamps. But is there a way I can make a resin top without the moulding? I've been looking at resin topped tables on craftster and I can't tell if some of them have anything holding the resin in. I've never used resin before and I want this to be professional, something she can have in her house for many years.

Also, will one container of resin be enough to cover an endtable top? I'm trying to be low budget, going yard sale shopping this weekend for the table.

Thanks for your help! If you have any other tips on resin, they would be very very welcome.

Ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wordpress.com
Circlesofstone
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008 05:42:37 AM »

Good question. I don't work with resin, but I'm wondering if you can use moulding around the tabletop then remove it after the resin has dried. I'm thinking along the lines of using the moulding just as a form like they do before they pour concrete, then they remove the forms. I hope someone else on the board can help with this idea. Good luck, it sounds like a fun project.

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008 07:44:10 AM »

if you could take the top of the table off lay it on wax paper and when you pour the resin pour in the center of the table and go slowly as to allow enough time for the resin to get to the edges..

The wax paper will not stick to the resin and the table top can easily come off even if you overpoured a little..

hope that helps..I dunno if I explained it ok..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
charmingflaws
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008 02:11:10 PM »

smittenheart--thanks for the help. I think I have a good plan. Tomorrow I'm going table-hunting at yard sales. Fingers crossed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wordpress.com
JustinKase
Psychobilly Steampunk Pyrate

It's the hat... Chicks dig the hat!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008 09:26:04 AM »

I am planning on doing this with a table as well.

What I am planning to do is a combination of what was recommended above.
I am going to build a frame to go around the surface of table top (the concrete comment), and lining the frame with wax paper so the resin will not stick to the frame.  You will want to make sure the seal is tight to not allow gap where resin can drip down.
I was then going to mix the resin and pour it onto the table working from the center out.
I am not sure how much it is going to take, depends on the table and the thickness of resin you want to put on the table.  I am probably going to buy a couple of large cans of resin to make sure I have enough.

Let the resin firm up (I am plannignn on leaving it alone for at least 24 hours before I try to take the frame off.

I will let you know if this works, please let me know how your table worked out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What will curiosity get you?
Killed the Cat Curio Shop
http:\\www.etsy.com\shop\killedthecat
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean Oil Paint Off Paintbrushes
Supervillain Origins: The Riddler
How to Make Japanese Calligraphy Art
Supervillain Origins: The Shocker
Self-Portrait by Charlene Lanzel
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...