A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I. Hate. Fondant. Here's my seashell cake.  (Read 3474 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meepum

^me and j9crafts. yeah. I'm a superhero.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008 09:29:08 PM »

I've never used marshmallow fondant before, just the regular sugar fondant (interestingly, also to make a luau themed birthday cake).  Beautiful cake though!  Lookes like it turned out great.

I should just try sugar fondant then... because this was so bad. Do you have the recipe still?

Recipe?  I just bought the stuff in a box from the craft store!

lol well that would probably help! maybe I should just buy it online somewhere because I don't know any stores around here that would have it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meepum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008 09:30:00 PM »

your cake looks lovely!!

I am in the middle of making marshmallow fondant (it's in the "cooling in the fridge overnight" phase) and I pretty much hate it. I am so jealous of your cake. are the shells made out of fondant? or are they chocolate?? love the marble effect on them!

They're chocolate! white with some cocoa melted into and swirled about... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008 12:55:37 PM »

it looks great!! i want a piece!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

contrivant
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008 06:57:58 AM »

lol well that would probably help! maybe I should just buy it online somewhere because I don't know any stores around here that would have it...

Y'all don't have anything like a Walmart? They sell fondant at ours
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meepum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008 09:24:45 AM »

it looks great!! i want a piece!! Smiley

Thanks!

Y'all don't have anything like a Walmart? They sell fondant at ours

yeah the closest walmart is like in some city I've never been to and I don't know where it is... but I'm sure I can find it online somewhere! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

harlequin1031
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008 09:29:50 AM »

I love the cake!  The shells are gorgeous! Some tips.......1) when working with fondant (particularly mmf!) you need to repetitively slather your hands in crisco....this keeps the fondant the right texture, AND keeps it from sticking to your hands.  It is definately frusturating trying to shape something when you can't even get it to pull apart from itself your you.  2) You can get fondant recipes at www.cakecentral.com (hope admit doesn't mind I did that).  Personally I still use mmf b/c it is much easier to make in my opinion.  Though I did buy fondant from walmart for my last cake (a farm one), just because I was on a really tight time crunch.  It did seem a little easier to work with.  I have though, never actually covered a cake in fondant or mmf- though I use it regularly to make figures. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meepum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008 07:28:15 PM »

I love the cake!  The shells are gorgeous! Some tips.......1) when working with fondant (particularly mmf!) you need to repetitively slather your hands in crisco....this keeps the fondant the right texture, AND keeps it from sticking to your hands.  It is definately frusturating trying to shape something when you can't even get it to pull apart from itself your you.  2) You can get fondant recipes at www.cakecentral.com (hope admit doesn't mind I did that).  Personally I still use mmf b/c it is much easier to make in my opinion.  Though I did buy fondant from walmart for my last cake (a farm one), just because I was on a really tight time crunch.  It did seem a little easier to work with.  I have though, never actually covered a cake in fondant or mmf- though I use it regularly to make figures. 

oh man that site is awesome! also, yeah I read you should slather your hands in crisco and so I put a little on the front. So this was a learning experience! haha
Thank you so much for this site, though. I will definitely be using it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008 11:20:45 AM »

Yum. It looks lovely. I've never worked with fondant before though. I'm going to have to try it sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Look of Anna Sui Fall 2013
Model Habits: Michael Kors Fall 2013
The Best At-Home Facial to Revive Tired Looking Skin
Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation Review
Top 10 Pamper Beauty Essentials
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...