A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Owl shoes  (Read 2069 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

owl lady
« on: May 21, 2008 09:49:12 AM »

As you can tell by my user name I am obsessed with owls.

My mom bought me some black ugly-granny shoes from Wal-Mart for $5. I'd originally wanted white because I figured they'd be easier to paint on, but I couldn't find my size (7.5) and settled for black ones because they came in my size. Then we went to Michael's and I bought fabric paint and brushes for about $20 (I bought 4 colors for this project and 3 for my next one). I tried marking on the
shoes with a pencil to see if the graphite would be visible on the black, but obviously that didn't work. Fortunately, my mom made some buntings for my nephew and had a white fabric marking pencil that she didn't use on her sewing project so I borrowed that. Then I drew an owl on each shoe to make sure that they were as much like each other as possible when I painted them. Then I spent about two hours painting one shoe and had to stop for a few days because I was too busy to work on the second one. Last night I finished the second one and decided to put a little more paint on the first one since my mom had picked up some black fabric paint for me. Since the first shoe had already dried it was easier to paint on than the second one and looks better and cleaner than the second. Anyway, here's the result.

The one on the right was the first one I painted. It was able to dry before I put more paint on it, so it looks better than the one on the left.

This picture shows the drawing with the fabric marking pencil that I used before I painted.

These are just different views of the shoes, in case you don't want to bother with the links.

I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and have my foot in a picture (apparently it is common to be barefoot while crafting and then to accidentally take a picture of your project with your foot in the picture. I don't walk around barefoot so this will have to do).

This picture from my calendar was my inspiration.

I don't know if I'm done with these shoes yet. I know black and brown aren't supposed to go together but these are owls and owls fly at night, so black is more appropriate than white. I was thinking of painting stars on the sides of the shoes to make the black and brown color combination less weird.

I now have a pair of white shoes of the same kind that I'm going to paint on next.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010 04:02:05 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
owl lady
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008 01:53:43 PM »

I'm a college student, and as such I need money for tuition and books. So, I post entries into scholarships, some of which are really simple and don't offer a lot of money ($500). There's a "campaign," as they call them on Brickfish.com, to post a picture of your favorite shoes. I submitted a picture of my owl shoes in hopes of winning some money for college (obviously). Now, I'm not the most popular person that has entered, and people with boring shoes or shoes that look like they've never been worn are winning right now. I think I deserve to win because I spent days on my shoes and they are unique and awesome (in my opinion).

Why am I mentioning this? I was wondering if you guys would be absolutely fantastic and vote for my shoes. I know you don't know me but if you like my shoes, please vote for them. You can vote once per day if you want to, but even one vote would be so appreciated! Thank you. Here's the link to my entry. I'm sorry about the length of it. http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/PhotosAlbums/PhotoView.aspx?picid=499444_41886380&pid=285706&scid=275&=fast_shoe_PPIMEMAIL&isep=1&pbapi=285706&pbvi=16356643&pdi=2366.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pachydermia
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008 01:33:16 PM »

These are awesome- so science-y in the best way! Great job.

I voted for you, btdubs.
Those lame shoes shouldn't beat yours!!! Grin
ha
Weatherly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

General ramblings of the nonsense variety: http://parcelsandcomfits.blogspot.com/

Let me slip into something more comfortable... Like a coma.

Last night I was laying in bed looking at the stars wondering where the hell is my ceiling?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amazing Watermelon Carving Creations
How to Make an Ocean in a Bottle
Proenza Schouler Creates Easy Tie Dye Scarfs
Pretty Savvy: Vacation Memory Cuff
How to Repurpose Tin Cans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...