A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gift bows! (yet another way to recycle magazines) tutorial added and more pics  (Read 375966 times)
Tags for this thread: magazine , recycled , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2008 , bow  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

Good girls are bad girls who haven't been caught!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 25, 2008 03:47:31 PM »

We had zip in our savings this year (new baby sponging up the cashola--and rightfully so!) so the gifts were all homemade and inexpensive. I am kicking myself that we have no photos of the gifts we gave but I can tell you that the bows were as loved as the gifts themselves.

Everyone got an ornament like a snowman or reindeer with the baby's face on the head. Old cardboard was reused and scraps were wrapped over them to make gift boxes. I used a Christmas catalogue that someone was throwing out that had softly lighted trees and snowy backgrounds, which made the bows so perfect! Thanks for sharing this craft, our family is asking for extra bows to tuck away for their gift giving occasions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music."
ClemiesGirl

1974 was a good year for me!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2008 04:08:30 AM »

I can't wait to try this with my boys to stock up for next Christmas!! This seems like the best use of old mags I've ever seen.Thanks for the really clear directions.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist.com/ClemiesGirl
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian
deliax
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2009 11:19:45 PM »

This was a fun project. I posted some bows I made in my photo gallery. I used a small hole punch to make all of the holes. I held the brad prongs up (facing me) and threaded through the middle hole of the strip first. Then I looped the ends (making a figure "8") onto the prongs. I put the strip side that I wanted for the bow facing towards me (which sounds wrong because I was working from the underside, but the loops were pushed up in the final result). I used 1" and 1/2" strips, with 6 and 15 or 16 strips per bow, respectively. I added a small piece of cardboard for a base. Hope this info is helpful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
babiestarlite13
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2009 10:03:29 AM »

Just wanted to let everyone know that this is also a great way of reusing all of that holiday gift wrap that is now in pieces!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2009 07:07:39 PM »

I was looking at Danny Seo's blog about how he *just* discovered Etsy and someone on Etsy was selling these bows for about $7 for a bag of 6.  They were absolutely beautiful and my fam knows I am a huge fan of reusing crap I find laying around (e.g. gift wrap consists of cereal boxes, scrap yarn, etc.).  *squeal* Now I can make BEAUTIFUL bows to stick on them and hide their ugliness!  Grin  I have these itty bitty scrapbooking brads I bought because they were a $1 and I had to have them for God knows what... do you think they'd work? I guess I can try... they're about 1/4" though.  Hmm.  I'll give it a go.  Thanks SO much for your photo tutorial. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
muffinsgomoo
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2009 06:06:14 PM »

I used one of these for a friend's birthday present and I think he loved it. He even showed it to the rest of the environmental club Smiley Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tempost
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2009 03:31:04 PM »

those are adorable bows! great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn, or food? Yarn, or food? .... Eh, I ate last week.
http://makeme.typepad.com
http://hilari.etsy.com
rauni
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2009 05:12:54 PM »

These are so totally awesome!  I'm never buying bows again.  I told my sister-in-law, who works at an elementary school all about it and she is psyched to show the kids how to make these.  They are always looking for "green" projects to work on.  Thanks for the great idea and tutorial!!

Rauni
Northern Canada
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2009 05:28:49 PM »

Congrats!!

Craftster Best of 2008!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancindharma
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2009 02:24:07 PM »

LOVE them!!  Its great to use magazine when making gift bows because you can get so many different colors out of the same magazine!  I've also seen it done with newspaper strips but I haven't tried that yet...I don't know if it will be too delicate to work with for me.  Also, we've used strips of coloring book pages that children have colored which is really cute too!  There's only so many papers you can put on the fridge so its a great alternative to throwing out all the paper work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenn Smiley

My friend, Emily, is giving away free lesson on how to make a boutique girls hair bow.  Get your free hairbow lesson at http://www.LearnHowToMakeBows.com

Submit Your Craft Video and Win $300.00
http://www.CraftsContest.weebly.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FIRST LOOK: Carolina Herrera - NYFW Spring 2014
FIRST LOOK: Christian Siriano - NYFW Spring 2014
Website Redefining Shopping For Conscientious Consumers
British Invasion
Objects of Desire: S&M-Inspired Accessories
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...