A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,671
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered, revamped, modern, or other Fairy Tale swap?  (Read 3006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 20, 2008 11:03:09 AM »

I've had this idea for a while, inspired from someone's crafted item on this site (sorry I can't remember what it was or how to find it again otherwise I'd link it).

What about an altered, re-vamped, modern, or somehow re-made fairy tale swap? The idea would be to come up with your top three fairy tales and characters then your partner would craft them in a new style. The possibilities are endless; modern, punk, goth, Victorian, sci-fi.... and craftable items; home-made story book, wall art, clothing, jewelry (?)...

So in the questionnaire you would be asked to list three fairy tales, three fav characters (or fav from each story already listed), and three styles. Or just the fairy tales and characters and leave the style up to your partner.

I'd be interested in organizing but not until at least next month. Anyone else interested?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008 10:58:17 AM by kartiana » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008 08:13:31 AM »

Sounds interesting.... I love fairy tales - the Grimms versions, not the Disney versions.  Would we be strictly talking the historical European ones or could we use some contemporary ones or ones from other cultures?  I think it would be cool to have a steampunk styled book of spells....

Donna Jo Napoli has done some fabulous re-telling of the European classics in her young adult books.  She retold the Rapunzel tale to describe the witch who imprisons Rapunzel in the tower, in a much more sympathetic light.

Also, if the Gregory McGuire book Wicked counts, I am utterly obsessed with that story and have been thinking how neat it would be to have something crafted on the Elphaba Thropp theme. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
kartiana

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008 11:49:35 AM »

I think any fairy tale type story would work. The idea is to take something that is usually portrayed one way and cast it in a new light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
kartiana

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008 04:29:19 PM »

C'mon! There's got to be more people interested in this!

Well, I would really like to try it anyway.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Lmcbride
It's business time.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008 05:08:52 PM »

Well, if no one else wants to do it, maybe you and I could figure out a way to do it as a personal swap or something?   Smiley  Also I suggest posting again on Friday night or Saturday morning, to put it in front of people on the weekend - sometimes I think there's more activity on the weekends rather than during the week... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
kartiana

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008 02:46:21 PM »

I was just thinking how neat it would be to make a punked out Hansel and Gretel and if you made it into a story book the witch would be some drug dealer in an ally... heh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

kartiana

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008 02:58:02 PM »

and this swap wouldn't have to be all darkish, it could be cute too! You could request your fav character/story be turned into kids or mythical creatures (if they aren't already).

I don't want people thinking they have to turn their lovely childhood memories into something dark, it can be anything you want!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

kartiana

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008 10:59:37 AM »

so... its the weekend, any interested craftsters out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Lmcbride
It's business time.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008 11:17:24 AM »

Hi again-
Another thought I had, which ocurred to me *eventually* is that this is actually a holiday weekendso I think the reverse is true and that there are far fewer people looking around craftster.   So don't get too discouraged, just keep it posted and keep it at the top of the list for a while before you give up on the idea! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008 11:26:53 AM »

ha, I won't give up! I really like the idea and I'm sure other people will too. (I'm usually not this sure of myself. lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sashimi Vs. Sushi
How to Eat Sushi
Which Cucumbers to Use with Sushi
Sushi Party Rolls
Sushi and Seasonal Veggies
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...