A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Boston  (Read 6636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2008 08:22:47 AM »

I haven't been on this site in forever. I'm moving to the Boston area next month and looking for all manner of craft resources. I would love to meet up with people also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ursulaandolive

ursulaandolive.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008 05:04:08 AM »

Hi,
I don't live in Boston myself, I'm out in the Worcester area (Central MA) but I know there are a lot of crafters in Boston.  There is a weekly crafters market called South End Open Market (SOWA).  Check them out sometime if you get a chance.  It's a great place to meet other crafters.

http://www.southendopenmarket.com/

Welcome to New England! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Grok Spock!
yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008 07:18:54 AM »

I never go to boston (not a city gal) but I like 20 mins away on the south shore. There's an amazing hole in the wall Saftlers in Whitman, MA. It has creaky floors and all. Its been there forever (they're doing renovations now and I'm so sad). They have fabric, yard, jewlery and everything. They also have classes..and I believe they still sell and custom cut foam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
Pinkguin
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008 10:23:10 AM »

Im going to Boston too, on june 7th. i'll be there for 5 weeks only tho. ursonate, we could probably meet up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand it over to you on a plate

http://www.wists.com/Pinkguin
lovefrozenstars
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008 12:50:46 PM »

Hi,
I don't live in Boston myself, I'm out in the Worcester area (Central MA) but I know there are a lot of crafters in Boston.  There is a weekly crafters market called South End Open Market (SOWA).  Check them out sometime if you get a chance.  It's a great place to meet other crafters.

http://www.southendopenmarket.com/

I've lived in Boston for about a year now (from Worcester too!) and have never heard of this.
Thanks for posting, I know where I'll be next weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What makes someone go into the arts is their uncanny knack of perceiving the slightest problem as the grandest tragedy."
- Nicky Silver
meowari
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009 04:04:35 AM »

I'm thinking about moving to Boston in a few months, so I thought I would revive this thread. Are there any current crafty meet-ups there? I'm definitely going to check out SOWA when I go up there to look for an apartment, but are there any other crafty happenings in the area? Heck, I hardly know anything about Boston, so if you have any advice on any subject whatsoever concerning Boston, I would appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009 06:34:23 AM »

Well there's of course magpie, not in boston but reasonably close, home of Leah and other crafty peeps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
ursulaandolive

ursulaandolive.etsy.com

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009 06:48:20 AM »

Hi Meowari,
There is a very active crafty group in Boston called "Handmade Boston".  I'm afraid I don't know that much about them other than I see their names in a lot of crafty places associated with Boston and they've gotten a lot of good press.  I think they may have started out as an Etsy street team and they sometimes set up at the SOWA market.
http://www.bostonhandmade.org/

There is also a craft market called "The Design Hive" in Cambridge, MA.  
http://www.designhivemarket.com/

and if you're looking to just browse some fabulous crafty, handmade stuff, there is always Magpie, the #1 crafty store in Massachusetts. Grin

http://www.magpie-store.com/

I'm sure this is just the tip of the crafty Boston ice-berg. I'm in Central, MA myself so I don't get into Boston as much as I'd like but it is a great city. Smiley

I'm thinking about moving to Boston in a few months, so I thought I would revive this thread. Are there any current crafty meet-ups there? I'm definitely going to check out SOWA when I go up there to look for an apartment, but are there any other crafty happenings in the area? Heck, I hardly know anything about Boston, so if you have any advice on any subject whatsoever concerning Boston, I would appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Grok Spock!
meowari
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009 03:49:31 AM »

Thanks for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallingstarnjt
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009 09:06:45 PM »

I'm glad this thread exists. I'll be moving into an apartment in Boston next month and have been trying to figure out crafty stores and maybe crafty people to meet up with. I've been into Magpie once and the boy had to drag me out so I know I'll be back for more! I'd love to know about crafty get togethers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Platypus Project

A - is for Asylum. B - is for Bulldog. M - is for

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009 09:41:37 AM »

I'm in Watertown (just outside Cambridge) and I'd be down for maybe doing a crafty meet up if anyone wanted!  I'd offer up my house if anyone wants to come pretty much anytime.  We're right on the bus line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps???!?!?  Why yes...I LOVE personal swaps!!!!

"Don't judge me monkey..."

My blog.  Come along for the ride-  http://theplatypusproject.wordpress.com/
meowari
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009 04:07:15 PM »

I'll be moving up mid to late October- I'll take you up on that offer, Platypus!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009 04:09:47 PM by meowari » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallingstarnjt
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009 09:00:30 AM »

I'm in for a crafty meet up! Moving in 9 days! I'm a little excited. And once i get settled in my apartment I'd be up for hosting a crafty meet up as well. I'm right off the green line at packard's corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Platypus Project

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009 10:03:28 AM »

Awesome guys!! Smiley
Looking forward to crafting with others! I need to make a t-shirt: "Crafts Well With Others". Maybe some scissors on the bottom?  I'll get on that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowari
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009 02:50:05 PM »

I just found out that I'll be moving in 2 1/2 weeks instead of 1 1/2 months! I'm nervous, but excited at the same time! I can't wait to get together with some of you guys and start crafting, I just have to get there, find a place to live (I'm staying with friends until I find a place), and get a job first...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallingstarnjt
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009 03:20:53 PM »

Ohh very exciting. I'm moving in 2 days and am looking for a job currently. But I'm ready to be crafting in my own place again! Can't wait to meet up with fellow crafters!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Platypus Project

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009 04:00:28 PM »

I'm excited too!  Crafting by myself is cool and all, but it's always nice to get inspiration from others! Smiley

Edited to say:  If anyone needs help getting around or looking for good coffee shops or quilt shops or even just getting from place a to place b, certainly let me know!  I'm not sure where everyone is moving from, but I offer my help if anyone needs it!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009 04:02:20 PM by The Platypus Project » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowari
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009 05:55:28 PM »

Oh my gosh! I don't think my Saturn can make it from Asheville NC to Boston MA hauling a trailer, so I decided to pack up my stuff and ship it on two pallets (we get really good freight rates where I work), and as I was looking at them after they had been packed, I realised that at least 1/3 of it is craft supplies...
I'm leaving a week from Wednesday (if everything goes as planned), and I can't wait to meet you guys and start crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009 05:29:55 PM »

Where are the fabric stores? Or at least the ones accessible by non-driving people. Maybe i haven't been looking in the right places. There seems to be a dearth of yarn stores too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009 08:12:24 AM »

Where are the fabric stores? Or at least the ones accessible by non-driving people. Maybe i haven't been looking in the right places. There seems to be a dearth of yarn stores too.

Not sure about fabric stores, but there's Windsor Yarn in downtown crossing, a couple in Cambridge, one in Brookline Village(? - I know it's Brookline  Cheesy ), Stitch House in Dorchester, Snow Goose in Milton (not sure if it's T-accessible), Sheep Street in Canton (commuter rail accessible), Dee's Nimble Needle in Walpole (not T-accessible, might be on the commuter rail)

And Stitches East is in Hartford CT next weekend - about 2 hrs away. I don't know if it's by an Amtrak station or not though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yellowsky
yellowsky

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009 06:02:43 AM »

Hello Boston Craftsters!

I have also just recently moved here, and am in DESPERATE need of knitting/crafting buddies.
Anyone down for a in all serious Boston craftster meet up!?!?!
I live near Davis Square...so Diesel Cafe could be a good meet up place, but I'm open to suggestions, just thought I'd put an idea location out there.

Yay Boston!
Yay Crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallingstarnjt
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009 02:46:52 PM »

I'd definitely be up for a Boston crafty meet-up. I'm having a hard time finding other people who don't look at me funny when i pull out knitting on the T or in a cafe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stoliedina
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009 07:09:06 PM »

Hi all! I just moved to the Boston area in September, and I would love to do a crafty meet up as well. I live in Everett, which doesn't have a T-stop, but the buses come through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
fallingstarnjt
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009 04:23:17 PM »

I think we need to schedule something for after the holidays. I haven't met many people in general let alone crafty ones so I'd love to make some crafty friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strwberesh0rtcke
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010 11:32:16 AM »

Hi all!
Did this ever happen? I just moved to the area about a month ago and would love to have some sort of meet up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I REALLY want some funny hoop-framed embroidery! Wanna do a personal swap?
Kimieye
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010 09:47:13 PM »

so would I...I live in Allston Brighton and would love to have a regular crafty meet up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crochet-aholic
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010 06:16:01 AM »

I am moving back to Boston (after ~7 year hiatus) in January and would love to find a group to get together with on a regular basis to be crafty with.  I used to attend a kraft nite every Sunday when I lived in upstate NY and it re-invigorated my love of all things crafty.  I'd be happy to host one once I get settled if it has yet to start up by then. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phjunn
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011 10:35:27 PM »

hello all..

I live in Cambridge and would LOVE to be crafty together with others!!

i recently found this meetup group:
http://www.meetup.com/Arts-and-Crafts-in-Cambridge/

i haven't gone to any of their meetups yet, but I plan to!

anyway, let me know if you'd be up for meeting up!

-Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Turkey Chili
How to Make The Best Turkey Burger
How to Make Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Grill Fails Mashup
How to Cook Perfect Burgers
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...