A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hehe I may be in trouble  (Read 1247 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mooshie
« on: May 19, 2008 07:20:53 PM »

so last night I placed a nice sized fiber order (for me), and then realized that I have only used about 90yds. of my handsupn yarn.  not that I have a huge stash, and not that I'm in a huge hurry to use up what I have just yet, but the thought occured to me that maybe I would like to learn to weave on a loom some day.  and that it could be cool to weave w/ my handspun.  But honestly I know almost nothing about weaving LOL  this makes me think I could be in trouble.  I started my spinning idea with a simmilar thought.  it went something like this:
"I know nothing about spinning, I wonder how you do it?"
ask around on Craftster
"honey I want to order some fiber, it's only a few bucks"
make homemade spindle, and kinda figure out how to spin on spindle. I don't like my spindle. 
"honey can I order a wheel, it's not as expensive as you think it is, I found a great deal!"
wheel arrives, I love it!
"honey, I really like this wheel, I think I need more fiber.  and I want to learn how to spin every fiber type there is."
place pricey fiber order. 

LOL see!! it's the beginning of something big!  well, we'll see.  I'm still at the "I don't know anything about weaving" stage.  but who knows what could happen a few months from now!

so, how did you get started weaving? what kind of loom do you have? and how can I learn to weave so I know if this is an obcession I mean hobby I'd enjoy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mountain_waif
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008 08:38:05 AM »

Yup...you definitely are in trouble...

It is another obsession....

First I traded a puppy for a floor rug loom that was in pieces....next I bought a four harness baby wolf...and lastly I bought an Ashford 24" table loom.  Along the way I have gathered up yarns, threads, spools, warping board, shuttles, yarn twister, ball winder, temples, numerous books and pamplets, etc.  It is never ending....Oh I still want a room!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SensiblyTacky
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008 09:56:26 AM »

Ah! Im in the same boat! I have the same questions. I want to weave so badly!!!!!!!!!!
gjksfdhgkasfhdga
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiberfan
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008 09:47:34 AM »

See if your library has Learning to Weave by Deborah Chandler/Reading (older copies).  Also check for weaving classes in your area - call the yarn stores around you to see if they know of weaving classes or a weaving guild.  The beginning class I took included rental of a table loom.  It was a great way to learn about weaving without buying a loom.  4 years later I have 2 floor looms and a table loom.

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008 09:59:32 AM »

I'm afraid you're in trouble, yes. And so am I. Let's be in trouble together ! Wink
I bought a wheel last october. I love it even if I don't spin everyday (fiber is expensive, you know it, and it's difficult to get here in France, there are only very few retailers, and I need to have a definite project in mind, so I don't waste fiber to make yarn I would not use). I asked my parents to buy me a RH loom for my 40th birthday. The loom will arrive next monday or tuesday (but I promise I won't open the box until THE DAY ! LOL ! which is on june 4th). And now I am thinking that I need a drum carder... No, that is impossible right now (that's my new mantra). Crafting isobsessive ... I don't quilt anymore, I don't have time nor space to leave the sewing machine ready to use, but I don't want to get rid of my huge stash of fabric, tha's crazy!). Should we join a therpay group ? LOL ! Have fun weaving... You know you will !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008 09:12:58 PM »

Your post made me laugh!  I started spinning in much the same way, and with weaving, the bug hit due to all the cool weaving projects I was seeing here (the difference being that I have no one to consult or consider about purchases...  Cheesy).  I ended up in Rona (hardware store) buying PVC piping to make my own loom.  I've since then bought a 25" Schacht RH loom (which i LOVE so far) ...  so... yeah, good luck with your obsession! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
mooshie
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008 01:51:25 PM »

Your post made me laugh!  I started spinning in much the same way, and with weaving, the bug hit due to all the cool weaving projects I was seeing here (the difference being that I have no one to consult or consider about purchases...  Cheesy).  I ended up in Rona (hardware store) buying PVC piping to make my own loom.  I've since then bought a 25" Schacht RH loom (which i LOVE so far) ...  so... yeah, good luck with your obsession! 

OOH! I love PVC pipe! do you mind sharing how you made this home made loom?  heck, even my spinning wheel (which is NOT home made) is made of PVC, and I love it!  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008 02:07:25 PM »

Here's the link to my post on Craftster about it.  I ended up buying a "proper" heddle to use with my pvc loom and then finally just gave in and bought a wooden loom afterall.  I plan to use the pvc one for smaller projects, as I seemed to have trouble with tension and hadn't solved the winding on issue. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008 09:20:29 AM »

my looms multiply as fast as my wheels

In the past 6 years, I've acquired 5 wheels and 6 looms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mooshie
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008 07:40:51 PM »

Here's the link to my post on Craftster about it.  I ended up buying a "proper" heddle to use with my pvc loom and then finally just gave in and bought a wooden loom afterall.  I plan to use the pvc one for smaller projects, as I seemed to have trouble with tension and hadn't solved the winding on issue. 

thanks! that is cool!  too bad I have no idea how to use a loom LOL  I don't even know enough really to know if I did it right or not.  and the thing I can't figure out is how do you switch the warp threads back and forth? (it is warp right?  the ones that you put on the loom b-4 your start weaving)  maybe if I could see one in use it'd help though.  I'll have to see what I can find
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rolling Out the Parathas
Adding the Chicken to the Masala
Checking and Tasting the Chicken Curry
How to Make Chicken Curry
Chicken Curry Ingredients
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...