A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiny Farm (new pics added July 16!)  (Read 7248 times)
Tags for this thread: garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008 09:17:53 AM »

More pictures!

I don't like drip watering systems, but I do like steady watering, so I thought I'd try this idea from the You Grow Girl! book.  I cut the bottom off a 2-liter pop bottle, used a nail to poke a few holes in the cap, then buried it next to a tomato plant.  I've been watering the tomato by pouring water into the bottle.  It's hard to tell from the photo, but the bottle is at an angle and the cap is actually under the tomato plant.

I also tried out using the bottom of the pop bottles as a mini-greenhouse.  In the photo below, I planted four kohlrabi seeds in the square.  The two in front were planted on the same date, and I put a pop bottle bottom over one to see if it sprouted faster than the other one (the two seeds in th back row were planted a week earlier and have already sprouted).

Four days later, the seed under the mini-greenhouse sprouted (look to the left of the rock):

I tried hard to give them the same amount of water during that time, but the seed that sprouted is slightly downhill from the other one, so it may have received some runoff.  But I'm convinced that the mini-greenhouse helped.

I also got my herb containers planted.  I have two big 24-inch pots.  I planted them with sage (2 kinds), basil (2 kinds), lemon thyme, catnip, nasturtium and a dichrondia.  Everything but the dichrondia is edible -- it's just pretty!  Here's one of the containers:

And here's a glamor shot of one of the lemon thyme plants.  These are so pretty.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008 10:02:01 PM »

Katxena-I love Tinyfarm. I think you need some cool TInyfarm signs for it. I've used square foot gardening several times. My problem is I just don't trust nature. My dad would always plant his corn with the old rhyme "one for the squirrel, one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow"! Of course, then I end up with way too many plants Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008 03:43:50 AM »

Thanks balkandina!  I think I need cool Tiny Farm signs too.  I've been keeping my eyes peeled lately for old wood -- I have an idea bout what I want the sign to look like, but I need a piece of old wood!  Smiley

It's so hard to not plant too much.  SFG is supposed to help with that, but even then I find it hard.My theory is that they just give us too many seeds in a packet!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008 03:16:01 AM »

Love your Tiny Farm!

There is a large field nearby where people can rent 10m x 10m or 5m x 10m sized "gardens" for the summer to grow veggies. They are pretty cheap and I have beans, potatoes, cucumber, squash etc. growing there. Unfortunately I've heard that next year they're going to build houses there. If I can't rent a piece of ground anywhere else, I'll ask my landlord if I can start a garden like that in our backyard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008 05:51:39 AM »

Heini, that's so great that you can rent land to garden.  It's too bad they are building on it.

We have community gardens like that here too, but there aren't very many of them in my area.  I'd love to have one.  I'm on the waiting list for 2!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008 07:03:23 AM »

I've been harvesting greens from my garden so far, but the other day I got my first few tomatoes, and tonight I'm going to harvest my first squash.  Look how cute they are!  The seed packet said they were the exact size, color and shape of a lemon -- I guess it was right:

The rest of the garden is also doing well.  Here's an overview of both beds:

I love my garden.  It's so full of life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katybird63
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008 11:45:16 AM »

That is so cool.  I have never heard of square foot gardening before but I think it is a great idea.  I am going to pass this on to my sister who lives in a townhome with virtually no yard.  Thanks again for the great information.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008 01:11:05 PM »

Square foot gardening is the best!  It's a great way to garden in a small space -- I hope your sis finds it helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008 07:59:08 AM »

ah tiny farmer! You've inspired me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008 10:24:12 AM »

ah tiny farmer! You've inspired me!

Woo Hoo!  Let us know if you do set up a garden.  I'd love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Resin Jewelry
How to Make a Jump Ring
How to Make Leather Bracelets
How to Make Glass Jewelry
How to Make Beaded Rings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...