A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiny Farm (new pics added July 16!)  (Read 6954 times)
Tags for this thread: garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 19, 2008 02:02:31 PM »

I've started a tiny farm in my back yard.  I've named it Tiny Farm.

Here's what my backyard looked like before I started.  The lawn is 12x20 feet (about 4x6 meters):

With my husband's help, I built two 3x6 foot (about 1x2 meter) garden beds out of 2x12 lumber.  Then I marked out a grid of 1x1 foot squares on each bed, using nylon cord looped around nails.  Here's a picture of one of the beds.  The other one looks just like it:

I'm using the square foot garden (SFG) method, which you can read more about here.  The grid is key to the SFG method:  you plant each grid intensively, and you only plant what you'll eat.  You time it so that not every thing ripens all at once.  For example, I will be planting 8 radishes a week for the next couple of weeks.  I'm the only radish-eater in my house, and 8 radishes a week is more than enough for me!

I've already planted some beets, radishes, carrots and kohlrabi.  I'll be planting my tomatoes and peppers this weekend.  Here's my planting plan for Spring 2008 (the beds are really about 10 feet apart, one on each side of the yard, against the fence.  They are pictured closer together for viewing convenience):

Click on the plan to see a larger version.

The gray area is the space I'm leaving open for the squash.  I'll plant fast growing stuff (like radishes!) around it until it needs the space.  The tomatoes and squash will be grown in cages.  To keep them from flopping over, the beans will have a tiny fence around them (made with those small white fence segments you buy for cheap at a home store), as will the New Zealand spinach.

What do you think?  This is my first in-ground veggie garden.  I've grown veggies in containers before (a lot of veggies in a lot of containers), and I have a flower bed out front.  But I've never before had an in-ground garden!  I'm super excited.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008 07:00:18 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008 02:27:24 PM »

Fantastic! I am a big fan of SFG methods, and have used them sporadically here. You have a plan and the means to carry it out, and it should work perfectly for you, though. I look forward to updates from the farm! GOOD LUCK!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
random_awesome
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008 02:32:15 PM »

very cool idea. i've been wanting to do this myself. i think i just might have to get the supplies this week and build one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you lose that sense of wonder, that curiosity, that ability to be surprised, then you're going blind." -Robert Rauschenberg
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008 02:37:23 PM »

Neat! I never thought to do it that way. So far for this year I only have 2 mini greenhouses on my window box in my kitchen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008 03:12:33 PM »

Thanks!  I'm super excited about Tiny Farm!  RockstarMom, starting out with containers is great.  I've gardened that way for years, both inside and outside my house.  It's what gave me the confidence to do this project!  After all, my raised beds are just like big containers, especially with the grids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss sarah jane
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008 03:54:22 PM »

This is awesome!  I've never heard of Square Foot Gardening before (hmmm, is that because in Australia we're metric?) but I've just checked out the website and it sounds like the solution to all the things I don't like about gardening.  Which really all relate to weeding, and to having all this produce at once, rather than being able to gather and harvest as I need it. I think I'm going to give this one a try.  Thanks for posting!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008 05:26:38 PM »

I think I'm going to give this one a try.  Thanks for posting!!  Grin

Oh!  I hope that you do.  I'd love to see pictures!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008 07:01:42 AM »

Here's an update on my garden.

First, a tiny French breakfast radish sprout!  These were the first seeds up, and I was so happy to see them!

Next, the Northeast bed.  It's got a lot planted in it, although I am saving some space for seeds that should be arriving this Saturday (5/31).  Right now, it has tomatoes, marigolds (to protect the tomatoes from harmful nematodes), jalapeno pepper, a bell pepper, two kinds of green beans, and New Zealand spinach. 

I'm planning to add more green beans (I'm succession planting these 3-6 plants per week through July 12), kholrabi, podding radishes, celery root, and scallions. 

The Southwest bed.  So far, I've planted tomatoes, lemon squash, beets, kholrabi, radishes, carrots, a purple bell pepper, and swiss chard.

Here's a picture of the tiny lemon squash plant:

And here's my purple bell pepper (if Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Purple Peppers, how many Purple Peppers would Peter Piper Pick?)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 07:03:05 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008 11:58:26 AM »

This sounds right up my alley - I totally need a plan for making a garden!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
JaneAvril
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008 12:01:58 PM »

This is straight fabulous!!!  Yay for Tiny Farmers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Black Hair
How to Curl Curly Hair
How to Curl Fringes
How to Curl Frizz
How to Curl Hair with a Straightener
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...